The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

You are on your own.

Doing a VG game as part of a tournament yesterday. New partner, gym I hadn't been too. The following situation (2 man).

We are in a Varsity Girls game (not very competitive) Team A is up by 14+ less than 5 minutes into game. Spread ended up being 50 something. Only relevant because gym is dead. Less than 20 fans in gym by halftime all on phones or clapping politely when both team score. Only person in the gym fired up at all is Coach of team B, who full marks is earning his paycheck. Talking to players on the floor and bench whole time. Coaching regardless of score. Only interactions he had with us are the situation(s) below

First time that team A goes to the line. Coach B harping at his kids about a rotation. Kids are asking questions, he's directing traffic. Everyone is lined up he's still talking across the floor to his PG as A1 starts going through her routine. I am administering. My partner blows the whistle and tells the coach "None of that". Coach B "I'm not complaining to you guys I'm talking to them" - indicates his players. Partner "I don't care who your talking to. You aren't talking while shes taking free throws"

Coach B doesn't seem impressed by walks away. Rest of the half every time we shoot free throws he talks to his kids but stops once the shooter receives the ball until after she shoots.

Halftime my partner and I are talking, not much else to talk about in blow out. Partner tells me Coach B is really pushing it, if he keeps it up we are going to have a problem. I assume something is going on so ask for clarification. He says the talking while we are administering free throws.

We go back out onto the court Coach B indicates that he would like to talk to us.

We both go over.

Coach B "Can we talk about the free throw issue? I'm not trying to disconcert anyone. I'm just trying to coach my kids. This whole gym could be screaming at her while she shoots it and you wouldn't hear me talking to my kids. I've clearly got bigger things to worry about then me getting a Technical over trying to coach so I just want us all on the same page so we can get out of here without problem."

Partner "If its quiet in here and your being loud while she has the ball its disconcerting. if you want to talk to your kids while she has the ball I better not hear you.

Coach B "Look we'll do it your way. But I've coached x number of years blah blah . . . and you are the only official that's ever called it this way."

Partner "We're done coach."

Coach B walks away. Partner tells me that if I hear him talking during free throws to T him up and that he'll do the same.

I didn't say anything at all but in my head I was "You are on your own."

Didn't end up being a problem Coach B didn't say anything when ball got the shooter.

Thoughts? Am I out of line should this be as big a deal as my partner is making it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Your partner needs a Xanax.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:45am
AremRed

Props to that coach for being more professional than your partner.

If it was truly an issue Coach A would have confronted Coach B about it, or complained to the refs.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Your partner needs a Xanax.
First you need to tell him he is INSANE. Then give him the xanax...
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Props to that coach for being more professional than your partner.

If it was truly an issue Coach A would have confronted Coach B about it, or complained to the refs.
I agree, I wish I had coaches that were this calm and professional every game. I think there are situations where a coach could be sneakily trying to disconcert under the veil of "talking to his players," for example, if the coach says nothing, and then suddenly yells "Susie get back on D!" or something right on the release, and do that consistently with free throws. But it doesn't sound like the OP is this.

The real question is how to discuss that with your partner. Did you guys further discuss it after the game? Some people cannot be talked out of their stance, but I think I would state my opinion/point of view on the topic, and then let them come to whatever conclusion they were going to.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Me to partner in the locker room: "He stopped once you told him to, I don't see a problem."

Me to partner after the talk with the coach. "If you want to call disconcertion, go ahead, but I think a T is stretching it."

Coach is losing by multiple touchdowns, any disconcertion would have to be impossible to ignore.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like your partner was being hyper-vigilant, maybe had an axe to grind and wanted to get your "buy-in"; nothing wrong with you thinking "guy you're on your own for this one".
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Me to partner in the locker room: "He stopped once you told him to, I don't see a problem."

Me to partner after the talk with the coach. "If you want to call disconcertion, go ahead, but I think a T is stretching it."

Coach is losing by multiple touchdowns, any disconcertion would have to be impossible to ignore.
Coach was obviously doing it on purpose. Everybody knows Disconcerting the FT shooter is how you get back into the game when your down 40...

Little game management in order. Why start a fight??? Stuff like that can make an otherwise non eventful game...very eventful....
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 12:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

A lopsided game, there's only 4 things on my mind:

(1) Get the big stuff.

(2) Get done.

(3) Get out.

(4) Where are we stopping for dinner?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A lopsided game, there's only 4 things on my mind:

(1) Get the big stuff.

(2) Get done.

(3) Get out.

(4) Where are we stopping for dinner?
(5) What kind of beer am I drinking?

(6) I hope the shower has hot water.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
(5) What kind of beer am I drinking?

#6 is hit-or-miss here, too. There's one place we work where it may be hot if we start it at halftime.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

We didn't talk about it after the game. It was my first night in this league and working an assignment for a new assignor. I decided to keep my head down and the game moving. Check this one off and see what the next couple are like before in this part of Rome.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 04:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Quote:
#6 is hit-or-miss here, too. There's one place we work where it may be hot if we start it at halftime.
Exactly......and there are some schools we don't even bother with anymore!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ohh lol!
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Pantherdreams;997526]We didn't talk about it after the game. It was my first night in this league and working an assignment for a new assignor. I decided to keep my head down and the game moving. Check this one off and see what the next couple are like before in this part of Rome.[/QUOTE

well be prepared to make more such concessions in order to get more games in that league.