The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

High school Free throws violation

does the ball have to go in hit the rim or the hit backboard in order to be legal ?my e-book tells me this is true but I can't find "backboard" reference in my hardcopy.

Last edited by NoFear2020; Sun Jan 15, 2017 at 03:51am.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Hitting the backboard is not enough to be legal...it must go in or hit the rim.

It used to be that hitting the backboard was enough to allow the FT restrictions to end for the shooter or anyone not on the lane but I believe they removed that this year.....for no apparent reason.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

It used to be that hitting the backboard was enough to allow the FT restrictions to end for the shooter or anyone not on the lane but I believe they removed that this year.....for no apparent reason.
The FTer must cause the ball to enter the basket or strike the ring. If not, this player commits a FT violation. (I believe that last season an incorrect editorial change actually included the words "or backboard" in this rule. An online correction was issued and those words were deleted from the printed rules books this season. That mistake may be causing the OP some confusion.)

Furthermore, the NFHS announced in some documentation that it was removing the "or backboard" part from the rules restricting the timing of the movement of the players along the lane and FTer, but it did not follow through and take that text out of the rules book.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Jan 15, 2017 at 05:22am.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 09:40am
Stubborn Member

Quote:

To avoid a FT shooter throwing the ball hard off the backboard in order to try and get a long rebound back to him?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 12:15pm
Administrator

Quote:

Camron:

I am not sure that is true. I cannot ever remember that being the case in NFHS and NCAA Men's, but I do believe that there was a year or two awhile back where it was legal due to a mistake in changing a rule and it was corrected in NCAA Women's.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
To avoid a FT shooter throwing the ball hard off the backboard in order to try and get a long rebound back to him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Camron:

I am not sure that is true. I cannot ever remember that being the case in NFHS and NCAA Men's, but I do believe that there was a year or two awhile back where it was legal due to a mistake in changing a rule and it was corrected in NCAA Women's.

MTD, Sr.
You've both misunderstood my post....

I was saying that it used to be that the ball hitting the backboard ended the FT restrictions on entering the lane, not that it made the FT legal. AFIAK, the ball has always had to hit the rim or go in to be a legal FT.

They just took the word backboard out of the rule indicating when players could enter the lane. It is a minimal change as the time gap between it hitting the board and either hitting the rim and going in, or simply missing altogether would be very small.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 15, 2017 at 02:09pm.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 04:04pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
You've both misunderstood my post....

I was saying that it used to be that the ball hitting the backboard ended the FT restrictions on entering the lane, not that it made the FT legal. AFIAK, the ball has always had to hit the rim or go in to be a legal FT.
In the summer of 2014, the rule changes for the coming season included a change that allowed the (up to) six players in marked lane spaces to enter on release of the free throw try. A quick check of this year's rules (barring any errors that NFHS has corrected) shows:
  • The shooter and players behind the arc still have to wait for the ball to hit the rim or backboard.
  • Anyone in one of the six lane spaces cannot enter the semicircle until the ball hits the ring or enters the basket

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
No, because while they could move after the ball hit the backboard, if the shot didn't actually hit the rim it was still a violation.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
  • Anyone in one of the six lane spaces cannot enter the semicircle until the ball hits the ring or enters the basket
This is where the change was. Previously, those 6 players could also enter when the ball hit the backboard.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2017, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Furthermore, the NFHS announced in some documentation that it was removing the "or backboard" part from the rules restricting the timing of the movement of the players along the lane and FTer, but it did not follow through and take that text out of the rules book.
Rule Book Corrections: Page 56, 2015-16 NFHS Basketball Rules omission: 9-1-3 Penalty 4b should read “If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3).
Rule 9-1-3a: delete “or backboard”