The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

My First T. . .but Followed by a Rookie Mistake

Girls 8th Grade Travel, Team B coach was kind of whiny first half, nothing crazy, just typical questioning a call here and there. But I knew he didn't know the rules, because he kept asking for a moving screen call, even though there was no contact. (the girl kept "whiffing" on her attempt).

End of 3rd quarter, I am lead, A1 goes up for layup, clearly fouled while shooting, shot misses, buzzer goes off to end 3rd quarter, I guess the coach didn't hear my whistle due to the buzzer. Once it became obvious that we were shooting 2 with the lane cleared, he got very upset. He comes onto the court and says, "REALLY!!?? You are going to call that foul with no time on the clock...REALLY??!!" (They were down 30-14). I explained to him that the girl was fouled, the shot attempt was made before the horn, and we are shooting 2. He calmed down but still kept complaining, so I warned him "That's enough...no more!"

With 4 minutes to go in the game, B4 going in for a layup, A1 established legal guarding position, then starts to backpedal, and B4 charges into her just before shooting. I call the charge. I clearly signal that we are going the other way, and report the foul. Coach says "There isn't even a #4 on the court!" (he thought the foul was on Team A). I explain the call, and he gets upset again, and loudly says "You called a CHARGE?! What?! That's just terrible...her feet weren't set..." So I called the technical foul right there. The game continued without incident.

Only driving home did I realize my mistake – I forgot to inform him that he needed to sit the rest of the game!
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Only driving home did I realize my mistake – I forgot to inform him that he needed to sit the rest of the game!
Damn Rookies!!!
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Did you work the game by yourself? Your partner allowed this to happened too. IJS.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

You are right, it's on both of us!
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Good T, way to TCOB. You gave him his leash, he used it, and you whacked him after you warned. Especially in travel tournaments, I don't listen to much from coaches. There may be some on this forum that want you to be a little more patient on that T, but you're not giving up your weekend to listen to guys who don't know the rules complain about good calls --or maybe everyone will be on board with your T, I never know around here.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

As a guy who works a lot of this level, good T. With the travel league I work, as long as the focus is on the kids, I honestly don't mind if they stand and coach, even after T...now if they were being a real azz..then yes, sit em.

The amount of rules ignorance by youth travel coaches is funny. I had a guy claim to be a Varsity AC, coaching 6th grade and his PG kept putting his hand under the ball to perform his crossover...He didn't like that I called him for carry, 3 times. He had some things to say about it and followed up by "I'm a HS Varsity Assistant Coach at such and such schoool..."...to which I replied "Then Coach, you should know that is clearly a carry on Friday nights as well as Saturday mornings"...

My two hats of Ref and Coach have made me better at the other.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 05:17pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

For what it's worth, I had a similar thing happen the other day (same game as my whistle-related post).

In the final period, V ball handler gets past the defender who then grabs him from behind. An easy intentional foul call, right?

Not according to the home coach who tried to argue that such an act wasn't intentional. I finally told him "That's enough," after he kept it up.

Visiting coach calls time out to discuss their strategy for the closing seconds. Meanwhile, the home coach comes and still wants to discuss the call. Although he stayed civil, it was clear we were going in circles, so I told him either "I''m moving on" or "We're moving on," and I started to walk to my time out spot. He started to follow me, and replied, "Well, I'm not!"

I calmly blew my whistle, reported the T to the table and left the immediate area to go tell the Visiting coach we'd be shooting a technical foul and to ask who'd be shooting.

While we shot the free throws for the technical, somehow my partner & I both forgot to shoot free throws for the original intentional foul--something that didn't come to me until after I was home.

Post-game though, my partner said that although he wasn't watching the play, he saw what looked like the bearhug leading to my original call. He also added, "I know why you T'd him, but I wasn't going to tell him."

Normally, I tell partners we should get together on Ts. Leave it up to me not to take my own advice this particular game. I may not be able to blame this on (possibly) being a rookie as the OP did, but I will learn from this and make sure it doesn't happen again the next time a play like this occurs.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Mon Jan 09, 2017 at 05:24pm.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Good T, way to TCOB. You gave him his leash, he used it, and you whacked him after you warned. Especially in travel tournaments, I don't listen to much from coaches. There may be some on this forum that want you to be a little more patient on that T, but you're not giving up your weekend to listen to guys who don't know the rules complain about good calls --or maybe everyone will be on board with your T, I never know around here.
Actually, I think that he waited too long to issue a T. I would have given one for the coach's behavior at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not me. He got all the rope he deserved, maybe more.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 12:35am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Practice makes perfect

Quote:
Girls 8th Grade Travel, Team B coach was kind of whiny first half, nothing crazy, just typical questioning a call here and there. But I knew he didn't know the rules, because he kept asking for a moving screen call, even though there was no contact. (the girl kept "whiffing" on her attempt).

End of 3rd quarter, I am lead, A1 goes up for layup, clearly fouled while shooting, shot misses, buzzer goes off to end 3rd quarter, I guess the coach didn't hear my whistle due to the buzzer. Once it became obvious that we were shooting 2 with the lane cleared, he got very upset. He comes onto the court and says, "REALLY!!?? You are going to call that foul with no time on the clock...REALLY??!!" (They were down 30-14). I explained to him that the girl was fouled, the shot attempt was made before the horn, and we are shooting 2. He calmed down but still kept complaining, so I warned him "That's enough...no more!"

With 4 minutes to go in the game, B4 going in for a layup, A1 established legal guarding position, then starts to backpedal, and B4 charges into her just before shooting. I call the charge. I clearly signal that we are going the other way, and report the foul. Coach says "There isn't even a #4 on the court!" (he thought the foul was on Team A). I explain the call, and he gets upset again, and loudly says "You called a CHARGE?! What?! That's just terrible...her feet weren't set..." So I called the technical foul right there. The game continued without incident.

Congrats, Rook. Just remember to practice it again and again very soon. I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities.

A piece of advice...don't use your entire hand when making T signal.
Much cooler looking to just use pointer finger from each hand and you will avoid jamming your fingers if you do it too emphatically.

Practice it often, you'll make for a better game if you keep the howler monkeys in their place. Just be sure your partner seatbelts them.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, I think that he waited too long to issue a T. I would have given one for the coach's behavior at the end of the 3rd quarter.

This is splitting hairs, IMHO. The focus should be in the fact that a new official tried to work with a coach, kept his poise, gave the coach a fair warning, and then ultimately whacked him to no surprise of anyone in the gym.

Well done, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Commendations for having the temerity to issue a T when it was deserved.
It is understandable as to how your crew had become "caught up in the moment" and forget to administer the other half of the T penalty (viz. seat-belting coach)--we've all done it as T events are frequently wrought with emotion.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yeah, I can get behind that. Jumping off the bench and being a prick about how he was questioning/arguing a call, I would have been tempted as well. In a V game, I'll let that go, but I'm definitely not talking to him as patiently in an AAU game as OP did. I'd tell him he can talk to me like an adult and I'll answer his questions, otherwise we're done. I'm also alright with a partner being as patient with this guy as he was, because I can understand the frustration if he thought it was after the buzzer.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yeah, I can get behind that. Jumping off the bench and being a prick about how he was questioning/arguing a call, I would have been tempted as well. In a V game, I'll let that go, but I'm definitely not talking to him as patiently in an AAU game as OP did. I'd tell him he can talk to me like an adult and I'll answer his questions, otherwise we're done. I'm also alright with a partner being as patient with this guy as he was, because I can understand the frustration if he thought it was after the buzzer.
Why would you let that go in a varsity game?

Nobody's coming after me at the end of a quarter without SOMETHING happening, even if it's me telling him to get back to his bench.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why would you let that go in a varsity game?

Nobody's coming after me at the end of a quarter without SOMETHING happening, even if it's me telling him to get back to his bench.
By let that go, I mean I probably won't whack him immediately. I'm warning to get back, and then whacking. Sorry I was ambiguous on that statement.