The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Admonishments

We (the members of my State association) recv'd an admonishment via blast email this morning about 3 issues:
1) the issue of the backcourt violation if B2 tipped ball and A2 caught the ball before it landed in the backcourt---which I see has been thoroughly discussed on this forum as a Thread.

2) More than a few officials who are NOT using any lanyard for their whistles as well as black shoes with white or colored emblems (e.g. Nike swoosh or Addidas strips, etc.)
I do not know why one would not use a lanyard? Whistle would fall on floor constantly (I guess the NBA refs have special technique tho?). But for NFHS games this has been expressly admonished.
At any rate Observers have said that we are on-notice for this.

3) Being too "rushed" when reporting fouls and not taking the time to walk and present @ tableside---instead preferring to shout across the court.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
We (the members of my State association) recv'd an admonishment via blast email this morning about 3 issues:
1) the issue of the backcourt violation if B2 tipped ball and A2 caught the ball before it landed in the backcourt---which I see has been thoroughly discussed on this forum as a Thread.

Why are you being admonished for this?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

For #1, are officials being admonished for calling or not calling a back
court violation?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen this once every 500 games. Cant believe it is happening that much where you are at...
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:31pm
High Five Master

Missouri got the same email. Wonder if Kansas copied it or do you, OP, ref in MO too? I just took the email as reminders on expectations, not being admonished.

I've always thought not using a lanyard was silly. I prefer the smitty but the loop broke in my fave shirt so now I'm rocking the fox breakaway.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
For #1, are officials being admonished for calling or not calling a back
court violation?
*Yep because refs are ostensibly making the incorrect call on this sitch.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Missouri got the same email. Wonder if Kansas copied it or do you, OP, ref in MO too? I just took the email as reminders on expectations, not being admonished.

I've always thought not using a lanyard was silly. I prefer the smitty but the loop broke in my fave shirt so now I'm rocking the fox breakaway.

Used to like the smitty until I had issues with the clips not wanting to hokd the whistle and one game my whistle went under the bleachers during play.

Here is what ohio got a few weeks ago....I got a kick out of it.

1 - Are surveillance ankle bracelets allowed to be worn? Yes, preferably they will be covered by the sock or can be padded if necessary, but players are allowed to wear them to enable them to participate.

2 – Reminder: Under no circumstances are ear rings in any form permitted. Tape on the ear lobe would be a big hint that they are covering something up. Even with tape, this is not permitted. No excuses!! Some officials are apparently sympathetic and not enforcing this long standing rule.

3 - Inner ear piercings for migraine headaches (with written note from physician) are permissible at this time.

4 - There are no restrictions on socks except they cannot contain anything that would be deemed unsporting or demeaning.

5 - Continued diligence is needed with prompt enforcement of fouls for rough post play, hand checking and fouls which impede freedom of movement of opponents.

6 - The trail and center must be willing to take 1 - 2 steps high or low to obtain better angles.
Mobility is the key to finding better angles. Too many officials are standing flat footed at trail and center. The trail and center must close down on all shots to enhance chances of seeing rebounding displacement. The trail and center officials must be mobile; to get better angles, to pick up the pivot foot in the post and to observe post activity.

7 - As a reminder, officials should initially use all of their approachability skills with coaches.
If a coach is violating the coach’s box, the official should address the situation. If the coach then chooses to continue to violate the coach’s box rule, a technical foul is to be assessed. Furthermore, there must be a visible coaches’ box present or the coaches are not permitted to be standing during the game. This should be addressed before the game starts with the home school game administrator. “We haven’t had it marked all year” IS NOT an acceptable excuse. IF the school game administrator is not cooperative, please report this to Asst. Comm. Jerry Snodgrass at the OHSAA office with cc: to me.

8 - Call the OBVIOUS, find reasons to rotate, trust your partners, referee the defense, crew consistency. We are GAME MANAGERS.

9 - One of our pre-season points of emphasis was end of game management:

- Discuss last second shot. Official opposite the table has primary responsibility but partner(s) should make effort to be in position to help if needed.
- A foul is a foul whether it is 2 seconds into the game or 2 seconds left.
- Get together during dead ball when players are at benches to go over game situation.
- Make sure clock starts. Designate one official for this.
- Know the game situation: score, fouls, flow.
- Call the obvious. Understand what the game dictates. Did the foul fit the situation or could you have passed?
- Partnering: Know what is going on with your partners.
- Common sense often is the best rule

Please review the above points during your pre-game conferences.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) More than a few officials who are NOT using any lanyard for their whistles as well as black shoes with white or colored emblems (e.g. Nike swoosh or Addidas strips, etc.)
Considering the rule is that shoes need to be "primarily black with black laces" I don't think they can admonish you for this one if it is merely a swoosh or stripes...........
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:30pm
AremRed

Quote:
I do not know why one would not use a lanyard? Whistle would fall on floor constantly (I guess the NBA refs have special technique tho?).
Yes, it's called gripping the whistle in your teeth and not dropping it out of your mouth willy-nilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
1 - Are surveillance ankle bracelets allowed to be worn? Yes, preferably they will be covered by the sock or can be padded if necessary, but players are allowed to wear them to enable them to participate.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They're apparently paying attention to social media (probably including this site) and don't like the fact that we think this ruling is absurd.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 04:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Considering the rule is that shoes need to be "primarily black with black laces" I don't think they can admonish you for this one if it is merely a swoosh or stripes...........
Some state associations release uniform guidelines different than those of NFHS. Mine for example says things like "Shoes - entirely black with black laces" and "Belt - shall be entirely black".
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Used to like the smitty until I had issues with the clips not wanting to hokd the whistle and one game my whistle went under the bleachers during play.
Do BB refs usually carry a spare whistle?

(Soccer refs do, but we're less likely to find ours easily if we drop them. I *think* I kept a spare in my pocket way back when I did some BB, but that was with those cork peas that could stick or die.)
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 05:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Black Belt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
"Belt - shall be entirely black".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Do BB refs usually carry a spare whistle?

(Soccer refs do, but we're less likely to find ours easily if we drop them. I *think* I kept a spare in my pocket way back when I did some BB, but that was with those cork peas that could stick or die.)
I do, especially after that incident
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I officiate basketball in Connecticut and my board prohibits belts, black or otherwise.

Black shoes with a white logo are ok, though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk