The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OOB on Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102016-oob-jump-ball.html)

BDevil15 Wed Dec 28, 2016 01:09am

OOB on Jump Ball
 
Curious about your thoughts on this Jump Ball situation. When the player in White grabs the ball his left foot was on the line. Obviously its Green ball, but who gets possession arrow?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZAaQ7HMeqgs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just another ref Wed Dec 28, 2016 01:24am

Green gets the ball and white gets the arrow. If he had gained control then stepped out of bounds, green would get both the ball and the arrow.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 28, 2016 02:10am

Since the change in the definitions of player and team control about five years ago, the ruling on this play could be different.
The NFHS removed the word "inbounds" from the definition of player control. Therefore, if, as in this play, a player standing on a boundary line catches the ball that would fit the definition of player control.
Understanding the play that way yields Green being awarded the ball and the arrow.

crosscountry55 Wed Dec 28, 2016 09:01am

Why does the U keep signaling stop clock after the ball is touched by a jumper?

Rhetorical question...[emoji6]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 995766)
Why does the U keep signaling stop clock after the ball is touched by a jumper?

Rhetorical question...[emoji6]

Because he does not know the rule on starting the clock.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 995761)
Since the change in the definitions of player and team control about five years ago, the ruling on this play could be different.
The NFHS removed the word "inbounds" from the definition of player control. Therefore, if, as in this play, a player standing on a boundary line catches the ball that would fit the definition of player control.
Understanding the play that way yields Green being awarded the ball and the arrow.

Disagree. The player had to touch it a fraction of a second before he gained control.

Give the ball to green and the arrow to white.

Adam Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 995766)
Why does the U keep signaling stop clock after the ball is touched by a jumper?

Rhetorical question...[emoji6]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a bad habit of mine that I'm still trying to break. It's a mental disconnect for some reason. I know the rule, and when I can focus on it I do it right. For some reason, my natural inclination is wait until a non-jumper touches it.

BigCat Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995771)
Disagree. The player had to touch it a fraction of a second before he gained control.

Give the ball to green and the arrow to white.

I think on this play you are correct because ball was on edge of hand and then grabbed...but if he would have caught it with a foot on the line I think, under the rules, that counts as possession. Green gets ball and arrow. There's a case play that says when jumper catches ball before jump ends that does not count as possession. This is different. I'm not a fan of it but I think it's the rule.

ODog Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995793)
There's a case play that says when jumper catches ball before jump ends that does not count as possession. This is different.

Why? They're both violations before team control inbounds is established. I see no difference. The violating team should get the arrow.

BigCat Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 995797)
Why? They're both violations before team control inbounds is established. I see no difference. The violating team should get the arrow.

A jumper possessing the ball before the jump ends is the violation. The actual possession of the ball is a violation. On the other play the possession is not the violation. It is that he is standing out of bounds. The possession isn't nullified. I'm not a fan of it and I'm not as confident about it as I am most other things. I just think that possession counts.

Raymond Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995793)
I think on this play you are correct because ball was on edge of hand and then grabbed...but if he would have caught it with a foot on the line I think, under the rules, that counts as possession. Green gets ball and arrow. There's a case play that says when jumper catches ball before jump ends that does not count as possession. This is different. I'm not a fan of it but I think it's the rule.

There is never any player or team control.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BigCat Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 995799)
There is never any player or team control.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

On this play I agree.

BigCat Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 995797)
Why? They're both violations before team control inbounds is established. I see no difference. The violating team should get the arrow.

Player control does require holding or dribbling a "live" ball. If his foot is out of bounds when he catches it ball is dead immediately so maybe it doesn't count. It certainly makes more sense to give arrow to white. Something makes me think there's a quirk with this. I don't know. I'm tired....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1