The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball violation: What have you here? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102014-jump-ball-violation-what-have-you-here.html)

deecee Tue Dec 27, 2016 02:10pm

Jump ball violation: What have you here?

1617Play8

Ignore the time wasting christmas music before and after.

Camron Rust Tue Dec 27, 2016 02:27pm

Jumper caught the ball before the jump ball ended (by the ball hit the floor or a non-jumper).

BlueDevilRef Tue Dec 27, 2016 03:07pm

And he vacated circle before jump ended legally. That dude moved fast!

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Dec 27, 2016 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 995741)
1617Play8

Ignore the time wasting christmas music before and after.

By advancing to the 33 second mark of the video.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 28, 2016 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 995744)
And he vacated circle before jump ended legally. That dude moved fast!

I think you only need to be in the circle until the ball has been touched by a jumper, not until the jump ball ends.

Q: Is that "your own half" of the circle, or the entire circle? It's unclear to me whether he left the entire circle.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995764)
I think you only need to be in the circle until the ball has been touched by a jumper, not until the jump ball ends.

Q: Is that "your own half" of the circle, or the entire circle? It's unclear to me whether he left the entire circle.

Good question. Likely something that doesn't come up very often until a play like this one comes up. This one bears some book review for me now.

Dale3 Wed Dec 28, 2016 01:49pm

NFHS Rules

6-4 Art 7: Neither jumper shall:
A: touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point
B: leave the center circle before restraining circle until the ball has been touched
C: Catch the ball before the jump ends
D: Touch the ball more than twice

We are okay with A and D here obviously, and I think B too if it is referring to entire circle, and not the jumpers half of the circle.

So white violates here because he catches the ball before the jump ends (jump ends when is it touched by one of eight nonjumpers, an official, the floor, or basket)

So - if white player had let the ball bounce first, this would have been a perfectly legal play? Very interesting.

Not sure on the NCAA Ruling here.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 28, 2016 01:57pm

I went back and watched again. I think he leaves circle illegally before the other jumper touches it.

In addition, he also caught it before jump ended. So I still maintain violation. Without the aid of this video, I don't know what any of us would do if this happened live. Looks like from video, they let the play stand and played on

bob jenkins Wed Dec 28, 2016 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 995778)
I went back and watched again. I think he leaves circle illegally before the other jumper touches it.

In addition, he also caught it before jump ended. So I still maintain violation. Without the aid of this video, I don't know what any of us would do if this happened live. Looks like from video, they let the play stand and played on

Yes, it's definitely a violation for catching the ball. And, I'd hope we would all get it (even if it was a bit delayed because of the surprise factor).

But, I do have an interest in the "circle" question -- I did hear of a college game where both jumpers moved their feet (or a foot at least) into the other half of the circle as they prepared to jump (unclear whether this was before or after the toss). Should (by rule) this have been a violation?

I think for all these purposes (and certainly in the OP) the NCAA and FED rules are the same.

crosscountry55 Wed Dec 28, 2016 06:02pm

For the record, I don't think he left the circle before the other jumper touched it. Still a violation for the catch, though. Interesting point that if he lets it bounce, it's legal.

This was from a D1 C-USA game. Was it recent? If so, we officials are probably not the only ones watching this video. Beware: there's a conniving center out there somewhere who watched this video, thinks that was legal, and is ready to mess up your jump ball. Now you'll be ready for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Wed Dec 28, 2016 06:08pm

Preemptive Strike: Shut Up Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Jump balls are dinosaurs, and like dinosaurs, they should be extinct.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...=0&w=300&h=300

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 28, 2016 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 995787)
Jump balls are dinosaurs, and like dinosaurs, they should be extinct.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...=0&w=300&h=300

What the heck did I do?

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995779)
Yes, it's definitely a violation for catching the ball. And, I'd hope we would all get it (even if it was a bit delayed because of the surprise factor).

But, I do have an interest in the "circle" question -- I did hear of a college game where both jumpers moved their feet (or a foot at least) into the other half of the circle as they prepared to jump (unclear whether this was before or after the toss). Should (by rule) this have been a violation?

I think for all these purposes (and certainly in the OP) the NCAA and FED rules are the same.

The college rule says for each jump ball jumper have both feet inside half of circle further from its basket. That would be meaningless if once ball was tossed he was allowed to step on the other side of the circle.

I think they are talking about leaving their half of the circle. This jumper was not out of the other half of the circle before the jumper touches the ball but I have a violation for entering other half of circle.

Also, as others said. Jump ball was not over do he is not allowed to catch it.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 29, 2016 01:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995792)
The college rule says for each jump ball jumper have both feet inside half of circle further from its basket. That would be meaningless if once ball was tossed he was allowed to step on the other side of the circle.

I think they are talking about leaving their half of the circle. This jumper was not out of the other half of the circle before the jumper touches the ball but I have a violation for entering other half of circle.

Also, as others said. Jump ball was not over do he is not allowed to catch it.

I think that is only where they have to start. Once it is tossed, I don't think that requirement remains after it is tossed.

crosscountry55 Thu Dec 29, 2016 02:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 995809)
I think that is only where they have to start. Once it is tossed, I don't think that requirement remains after it is tossed.

Years ago, didn't they have a smaller circle inside the 6-ft radius circle? Jumper had to keep one foot inside it or something like that? Anyway, eventually that smaller circle was eliminated. Why, and does that have any bearing on this conversation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk