The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 20, 1999, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I worked a senior boys game last Friday night and had just put the ball in play for a designated spot throw-in. The player jumped up into the air to make the throw-in. Immediately a 'fan' yelled HE WALKED! I just smiled to myself as we went down the floor. Obviously, there was no violation. But the yelling fan made me think of this ruling. It is always good to review it. The ruling is Rule 4.40.6 and the associated note. Also note that the correct call for a spot throw-in is NOT a traveling signal, but a finger pointing at the floor moving it back and forth. By the way the note states: THE THROWER MUST KEEP ONE FOOT ON OR OVER THE SPOT UNTIL THE BALL IS RELEASED. PIVOT-FOOT RESTRICTIONS AND THE TRAVELING RULE ARE NOT IN EFFECT FOR A THROW-IN.

Gary
Old Wed Oct 20, 1999, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

IT'S AMAZING HOW MANY COACHES THINK THAT IS TRAVELING. SAME AS DRIBBLING THE BALL WHILE OUT OF BOUNDS. I LIKE TO THINK OF IT LIKE A RED CARPET THAT'S ABOUT 3 FEET WIDE AND AS FAR BACK AS YOU CAN GO. THE PLAYER CAN MOVE BACK AS FAR AS S/HE WANTS BUT MUST STAY IN THE 3 FOOT AREA CALLED THE "SPOT" THE VIOLATION AND SIGNAL IS MOVING FROM THE SPOT
Old Thu Oct 21, 1999, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I had a parent come up to me in casual conversation and comment on how this just is not called anymore. I had to smile and explane the rule. They can move all they want as long as they don't leave the three foot wide box. I'm glad the NF made it a point of emphesis last year. I just wish the word would get out better.
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

There is a 3 foot wide lane that goes all the way back and a player must keep at least 1 foot over any part of the area between the 2 planes.
Old Sun Oct 24, 1999, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Ralph,
It is "on or over" the spot, thus a player may jump up in air to make a spot throw-in. I think you meant that. The violation is a throw-in violation and not a traveling violation. I still see officals who make the correct call, but give the incorrect signal.(S18) Pivot foot restrictions are not in effect.
Gary