The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HS shot clock (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101945-hs-shot-clock.html)

LRZ Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05am

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." --William Faulkner

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46am

Years ago, I was on the Board of our local rec league for kids. At a pre-season coach's meeting, one of the coaches of a 4th grade team (the teams went from 3rd grade through varsity) asked if we used a shot clock. I told him we did, and it ran for two hours between shots for kids at that grade. He stared at me for a few seconds then realized I was joking. :p

ilyazhito Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 1019916)
Years ago, I was on the Board of our local rec league for kids. At a pre-season coach's meeting, one of the coaches of a 4th grade team (the teams went from 3rd grade through varsity) asked if we used a shot clock. I told him we did, and it ran for two hours between shots for kids at that grade. He stared at me for a few seconds then realized I was joking. :p

Indeed, it wouldn't make sense at that age. USA Basketball recommends a shot clock around 12, so middle school should play with a shot clock, maybe 40 seconds. If officials cut their teeth on shot clock MS games, it would ease the learning curve once they got to high school, since they would know the necessary mechanics and signals, and learn clock awareness. The next step would just be to learn 3-man in off season camps, summer games, men's league games, or intramural games, and the officials would be ready for JV or (initially limited) varsity experience.

LRZ Thu Mar 29, 2018 08:06am

But it would not be just referees who need to climb the clock learning curve. In my MS games, I have trouble enough with the table officials as it is.

ilyazhito Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1020008)
But it would not be just referees who need to climb the clock learning curve. In my MS games, I have trouble enough with the table officials as it is.

Send an experienced official as an observer/standby to supervise the table at the MS game, and operate the shot clock, if no operator can be found, and you will have solved multiple problems. The MS officials can get feedback at intermissions and will be confident that at least 1 person on the table knows what he is doing. This is also a good opportunity for evaluation for the officials and practice for table personnel, with a supervisor to help, if needed. This can also be a way for senior officials to give back to junior officials. IMHO, this is a win-win for everyone.

LRZ Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19am

An unrealistic suggestion, around here, at least. We don't have the luxury of available, interested and experienced officials to do such a thing at afternoon MS games.

But I'm glad to know that you are willing to volunteer. ;)

BillyMac Thu Mar 29, 2018 05:26pm

Share The Wealth ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1020013)
I'm glad to know that you are willing to volunteer.

Send him to Connecticut when he finishes in Pennsylvania.

ilyazhito Thu Mar 29, 2018 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1020021)
Send him to Connecticut when he finishes in Pennsylvania.

Great idea:D! It's funny! Work a game in MD or DC, go to PA the next day, and CT the day after that. I probably wouldn't be allowed to work as a dual member in CT (I work with MBOA and IAABO 12 in the DC Metro Area), but there is no reason why I couldn't work in PA, if there is an IAABO board (or other organization) willing to receive an out-of-state dual member and work with PIAA on the registration.

I'd help out on the table and with the shot clock (if PIAA decides to adopt it, or FED chooses to mandate it), and hopefully get a varsity game nearby later in the evening, to pay for my travel into PA. Maybe any forum readers can mobilize local officials to do the same in other states.

Multiple Sports Thu Mar 29, 2018 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020029)
Great idea:D! It's funny! Work a game in MD or DC, go to PA the next day, and CT the day after that. I probably wouldn't be allowed to work as a dual member in CT (I work with MBOA and IAABO 12 in the DC Metro Area), but there is no reason why I couldn't work in PA, if there is an IAABO board (or other organization) willing to receive an out-of-state dual member and work with PIAA on the registration.

I'd help out on the table and with the shot clock (if PIAA decides to adopt it, or FED chooses to mandate it), and hopefully get a varsity game nearby later in the evening, to pay for my travel into PA. Maybe any forum readers can mobilize local officials to do the same in other states.

You don't need to go anywhere else for games.....work hard my young son and one day you may get DeMatha and Gonzaga. The best high school league in the country is at your door step Take advantage of it.. WCAC JV games are better than a lot of varsity games elsewhere......

LRZ Thu Mar 29, 2018 06:31pm

ilyazhito, the "P" in PIAA stands for "political."

ilyazhito Thu Mar 29, 2018 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1020032)
ilyazhito, the "P" in PIAA stands for "political."

My post was a joke, other than the last sentence. Of course I wouldn't go to PA just to work more games. BillyMac and yourself were kidding, and I decided to keep it going for however long it would last.

However, what I said about having experienced officials at the table for MS stands. If that level can adopt a shot clock (with help from our friends in stripes), then a shot clock in high school should be no problem.

LRZ Thu Mar 29, 2018 08:45pm

No, I got the joke. My comment was a gratuitous comment about PA's governing body.

ilyazhito Thu Mar 29, 2018 09:03pm

LRZ, I got you. The comment was for MultipleSports' benefit. I get what you said about PIAA, because they didn't institute a rule on transfers until after there was a huge scandal in the press.

Raymond Fri Mar 30, 2018 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1020031)
You don't need to go anywhere else for games.....work hard my young son and one day you may get DeMatha and Gonzaga. The best high school league in the country is at your door step Take advantage of it.. WCAC JV games are better than a lot of varsity games elsewhere......

If you don't mind daily 2 hour commutes to officiate HS games.

ilyazhito Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1020031)

I'm joking about going to PA. It was a running joke between LRZ, Billy Mac, and myself.

All kidding aside, I believe that MD (and other states) should implement my suggestion of having an experienced (or retired) official at middle school games as a standby/observer/table supervisor to help operate the shot clock for MS (40 seconds), to prepare the officials and athletes for the high school shot clock, preferably 30 seconds.