The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

This is about a back court violation. If I am full court pressing and there is a loose ball rolling to my back court and I am racing to get the ball and pick it up before the opponent, and during the play I cross over half court into my back court, is that suppose to be a violation? Isn't there a momentum rule that allows the defense to gain possesion and slow down without having to jump before the line and toss it to our front court? Otherwise I would have to let the ball roll past half court before I pick it up which would give the opponent time to retrieve the ball before me. The rule I feel should not be to any dissadvantage to the defense when full court pressing. What if I jump from my front court while full court pressing and catch the ball and land in my back court? Please help me understand this ruling, my team has been hurt by it too many times from refs that call everything a back court violation when pressing full court.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

If you are playing defense, and gain possession of the ball (not in the air) in your front court (the opponents back court), you need to stay there. There is no momentum rule on this. If you secure possession of a ball while in the air, you are allowed to make a normal landing anywhere. You could jump from your front court, intercept the pass, and land in your back court and that is legal.

However, if your team is on offense and your teammate is in back court and passes you the ball, you may NOT jump from your front court, catch the ball and land in back court. That is a violation.

I hope this clears it up for you.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

As a defensive player with a loose ball on the floor, you have several options. First would be to grab it and save it from going backcourt, if you have someone you can pass to, or if you can stop yourself. Second is to either get a foot to the line or let the ball get backcourt, with the obvious risk tha the offense may get there first.

The third option, assuming the offense had established team control and the defense never had team control before it started rolling, is to tap the ball to space in your backcourt. You have not established player control (unless a ref deems it so), so there is no team control by the defense, and therefore the backcourt rule is not applicable. You are free to go get it in your back court. The last option is to tap to a space where you can get it in the front court, not worry about stepping over the line after the tap, re-establish yourself front court, and pick up the ball. This is pretty hard to accomplish.

This is why it is so easy both to ref and play basketball.
There are so many options