The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Undershirt? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101878-undershirt.html)

Bp73 Sun Nov 27, 2016 07:37pm

I usually wear a black cotton shirt and sweat my butt off. Looking for something a little bit cooler. I have a couple UA shirts but don't really notice a huge improvement. Maybe I have the wrong type of UA fabric???

Camron Rust Sun Nov 27, 2016 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bp73 (Post 993629)
I usually wear a black cotton shirt and sweat my butt off. Looking for something a little bit cooler. I have a couple UA shirts but don't really notice a huge improvement. Maybe I have the wrong type of UA fabric???

Cotton is just about the worst possible material for the purpose.

How well it works depends on what top shirt you wear and how you care for the items. You want both the undershirt and uniform shirt to be a wicking fabric (or mesh). Not all compression wear is a wicking fabric, make sure you get one that is.

Note, just about any of the wicking-based fabrics will do a good job....until you use fabric softener on them. Do not, ever, use fabric softener with wicking fabrics. It will clog the channels which are designed to carry away the perspiration. Luckily, you can reverse that by washing them a few times without using it.

ODog Sun Nov 27, 2016 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993617)
I would agree with him if the short sleeves are so long they stick out, but, assuming the sleeves are an appropriate length, how would he know unless he watched you dress?

No arguments here. It's just one of his things, along with the standard no belt, hemmed pants, etc.

I guess it's the equivalent of being discouraged from wearing anything but black underwear. Sure, no one will ever know ... until they do.

Remington Mon Nov 28, 2016 02:16pm

I wear a compression (Under Armour or Nike) tank top under my shirt. Our assigners hate when you can see the undershirt above the V-neckline of the officiating shirt and I personally agree.........but it isn't all that noticeable.

Welpe Mon Nov 28, 2016 03:21pm

I wear standard black Under Armour heat gear shirts. The sleeves are short enough that they don't stick out of the striped shirt and I stopped caring about the small amount of black showing under the v-neck.

I used to wear cheaper UA type shirts until I finally broke down and bought a couple of actual UA shirts on clearance. The difference was enough to convert me to wearing actual UA for my compression shorts and tights too.

Raymond Mon Nov 28, 2016 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardmason (Post 993612)
Always. I wear a dri-fit compression sleeveless shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I wear also.

And I always wear an undershirt under my outer shirts, on or off the court.

Texas Aggie Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:30pm

Quote:

I agree, however, I love wearing cotton shirts while bike riding in the late spring and summer. The wet shirt keeps me cool while riding.

constable Tue Nov 29, 2016 05:16am

Under armour or nike compression shirts. During a college game with a 15 minute halftime, I change my referee shirt, undershirt and socks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BillyMac Tue Nov 29, 2016 07:16am

Some Advantages ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993634)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 993711)
I love wearing cotton shirts while bike riding in the late spring and summer. The wet shirt keeps me cool while riding.

Cotton offers some advantages in that it's inexpensive, absorbent, breathable and soft.

walt Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:18pm

Dri-fit black compression shirt.

Rich Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 993723)
Cotton offers some advantages in that it's inexpensive, absorbent, breathable and soft.

Absorbent isn't an advantage over wicking.

JRutledge Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 993723)

Stop being cheap.

Peace

SD Referee Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:53pm

Have always worn the Nike Pro Combat compression sleeveless shirts. Love them and you can't see them underneath.