The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

25 point game. All world player is in second slot on FT. .3 left in 3rd quarter. I was lead. FT comes off front of rim inches from cylinder and up. All world player is there with one hand and immediately throws it down. Almost instantaneously but he did not tap it. I would not have given a TO. His hand was on top and immediate shove down. What do you do?

And I know I'm lead so not my call etc. but this kid was in my second slot. It wasn't a tap but it was so fast. In a 25 point game I let it stand. If it was a nut cutter???? Actually, looking at definition for tap I suppose what he did could be called a tap. I'd like thoughts. Thx

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Nov 24, 2016 at 12:33am.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 12:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule is that he can't catch. If you said you wouldn't have granted a TO request, that tells me he didn't catch it.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The rule is that he can't catch. If you said you wouldn't have granted a TO request, that tells me he didn't catch it.
Yes, I've focused on word tap as I have thought of it...more like a bat. A tap can be more controlled than a bat..as long as it isn't a catch...thx
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
25 point game. All world player is in second slot on FT. .3 left in 3rd quarter. I was lead. FT comes off front of rim inches from cylinder and up. All world player is there with one hand and immediately throws it down. Almost instantaneously but he did not tap it. I would not have given a TO. His hand was on top and immediate shove down. What do you do?

And I know I'm lead so not my call etc. but this kid was in my second slot. It wasn't a tap but it was so fast. In a 25 point game I let it stand. If it was a nut cutter???? Actually, looking at definition for tap I suppose what he did could be called a tap. I'd like thoughts. Thx
Apply the rule. A slam dunk is not a tap. The correct ruling is no goal.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Using your own word (throws) to me means it wasn't a tap.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

That's nothing. Bulls/Nuggest game this last week. Bulls down by 3 with Den at the FT line with .3 seconds. Misses FT. Lopez Get the ball and calls TO. No time was taken off the clock (after a 5 minute video review too). Sometimes I wonder what good the NBA does for basketball.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
That's nothing. Bulls/Nuggest game this last week. Bulls down by 3 with Den at the FT line with .3 seconds. Misses FT. Lopez Get the ball and calls TO. No time was taken off the clock (after a 5 minute video review too). Sometimes I wonder what good the NBA does for basketball.
There was .6 on the clock at the time of the missed free throw. Lopez rebounded the ball with a timeout being called at the same time. By rule, a minimum of .3 seconds was taken off the clock leaving .3 on the clock. Nothing upon review showed that more than .3 should have been taken off.

Further more, watching the end of the game, the review took less than 90 seconds. Nowhere near five minutes. At this point, I'd have to ask if you were even referencing the correct game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 10:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Retraction?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

My initial reaction was that that should not have counted. But the rule doesn't say only a "bat" is allowed. His hand was on TOP of ball and a push down. The ball was barely outside the cylinder and a couple inches above rim level. If the player is "tapping" ball up his hand will stay in contact with ball for few inches potentially. This was a push down, hard, of only a few inches. Again The ball was never sitting on top of his hand. He did not palm the ball.

It was clearly not a "bat." Is the only difference between a tap and bat that the tap is directed at the goal? If that's the case, no goal.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Nov 24, 2016 at 12:15pm.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 10:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder what good the NBA does for basketball.
That's why we call it the NBE - National Basketball Entertainment. You know, like the WWE who changed its name from the WWF to be accurate.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's why we call it the NBE - National Basketball Entertainment. You know, like the WWE who changed its name from the WWF to be accurate.
If one is going to insult the hard work that the men and women that officiate in NBA do, one can at least get the facts/rules correct.

For instance, the WWE only changed their name from WWF upon lawsuit from the World Wildlife Fund whom had the rights to WWF and had only allowed Vince and co to use WWF for a time upon agreement which they had violated
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess that's what happens when I turn to the game at this exact spot . AT 11PM time seems to be a bit nebulous. As are the facts.