The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Cylinder Plays (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101848-cylinder-plays.html)

JRutledge Fri Nov 18, 2016 05:01pm

Cylinder Plays

Here is the first one. I will post more as I find them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qCvtOKw_n6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BigCat Fri Nov 18, 2016 05:12pm

Obviously we have the benefit of replay. I consider the cylinder to be closer than this. In the other player's jock. This is not that. Also, it doesn't seem there was much contact. Seeing replay maybe a pass was best. I certainly understand the call. Things happen fast. Split second decision...like most calls...Don't really think he had the angle to see the space between them. Maybe he did.

BryanV21 Fri Nov 18, 2016 05:35pm

I like any call that goes against Michigan.

GO BUCKS!

Freddy Fri Nov 18, 2016 06:29pm

I don't get it.
I suspect I'm missing something here.
Is there some POE for NCAA-M that some of us don't know about?
What's this "cylinder" terminology as applied here?
What makes this any sort of defensive foul?

I reserve the right to be wrong, but it looked like the defender was easily within his vertical and that status was violated by the offensive player.

Help me understand this here.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 18, 2016 06:29pm

One thing is certain...that wasn't a block...even considering the new NCAA interpretation. Oh, and I think that interpretation is ridiculous too. I think it will go the way of the upward motion experiment.

JRutledge Fri Nov 18, 2016 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993266)
One this is certain...that wasn't a block...even considering the new NCAA interpretation. Oh, and I think that interpretation is ridiculous too. I think it will go the way of the upward motion experiment.

Actually this is not new this year. This was the interpretation or terminology used last year.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Nov 18, 2016 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 993265)
I don't get it.

I reserve the right to be wrong, but it looked like the defender was easily within his vertical and that status was violated by the offensive player.

This is really not so much a POE, this is just an interpretation of what they want called. They want players to stop crowding the ball handler or the ball handler throwing themselves into defenders. It is based on verticality, but there are other parts to this situation. I am not saying I agree with it, but this was addressed the last two years an big time this year in the NCAA videos to the coaches and officials. I think this is overall a bad rule, but I get why the rule is there.

Peace

justacoach Tue Nov 22, 2016 04:32am

Chalk one up for the younger generation

My #1 son was involved in a mandatory rules clinic prior to a D1 pre-season game this fall. After a longwinded soliloquy by the crew chief, which left all the participants glassy-eyed and staring at the ceiling, he saved the day with the following...
"You guys play NBA Live video game? The yellow circles on the floor around each player is what we're talking about"
Instant nods of recognition by all the players involved.

Raymond Tue Nov 22, 2016 09:05am

Quote:

I don't get it.

Anybody who is officiating NCAA-Men's basketball is well aware of the rule as it has been discussed (and bemoaned) at every preseason clinic and is on the preseason video.

AremRed Tue Nov 22, 2016 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993436)
Anybody who is officiating NCAA-Men's basketball is well aware of the rule as it has been discussed (and bemoaned) at every preseason clinic and is on the preseason video.

Yup.

Freddy Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993436)
Anybody who is officiating NCAA-Men's basketball. . .

I'm not.
But I am interested.
Or shouldn't I be asking?

Raymond Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 993443)
I'm not.
But I am interested.
Or shouldn't I be asking?

My point only was that this play has been well-publicized and discussed going into the season, just maybe not here.

APG Wed Nov 23, 2016 07:25pm

Quote:

I don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4hkblhCl-U

Go to the 13:30 mark to see cylinder discussion/interpretations/plays

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S4hkblhCl-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Da Official Mon Nov 28, 2016 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 993431)
My #1 son was involved in a mandatory rules clinic prior to a D1 pre-season game this fall. After a longwinded soliloquy by the crew chief, which left all the participants glassy-eyed and staring at the ceiling, he saved the day with the following...
"You guys play NBA Live video game? The yellow circles on the floor around each player is what we're talking about"
Instant nods of recognition by all the players involved.

LOL!!! Nice! Cleared it up for me!:D