The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free throw misses rim, violation, mechanics? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101737-free-throw-misses-rim-violation-mechanics.html)

Richmyk1 Tue Oct 18, 2016 07:26am

Free throw misses rim, violation, mechanics?

Once a last free throw misses the rim/ring and does not go in, it is a violation, so how should the officially call it? What are the proper mechanics? Open hand straight up, point to rim, state no rim, point to spot and then point to direction the ball will be going or ??

Richmyk1 Tue Oct 18, 2016 07:27am

Free throw missing rim/ring

The official (not officially!!)

bob jenkins Tue Oct 18, 2016 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richmyk1 (Post 992004)
Once a last free throw misses the rim/ring and does not go in, it is a violation, so how should the officially call it? What are the proper mechanics? Open hand straight up, point to rim, state no rim, point to spot and then point to direction the ball will be going or ??

No need to do this.

Reverse these two.

Raymond Tue Oct 18, 2016 09:33am

1) Whistle with open hand
2) "Violation"
3) "White ball, end line".

todd66 Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15am

And please do not use the "swirling finger" mechanic.

Dad Tue Oct 18, 2016 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd66 (Post 992013)
And please do not use the "swirling finger" mechanic.

I have zero problems with this. Everyone in the gym knows what it means, and the only issue I've run across, which really isn't one, is that random official bitching that it isn't a mechanic.

While I don't do it, I'd rather that instead of someone blowing their whistle and whisper violation. Then the entire gym is wondering what was called and the crew looks bad.

Adam Tue Oct 18, 2016 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 992031)
I have zero problems with this. Everyone in the gym knows what it means, and the only issue I've run across, which really isn't one, is that random official bitching that it isn't a mechanic.

While I don't do it, I'd rather that instead of someone blowing their whistle and whisper violation. Then the entire gym is wondering what was called and the crew looks bad.

In my experience, the entire gym is announcing it for us.

BigCat Tue Oct 18, 2016 05:32pm

I would raise open hand. Point at rim and yell, "violation,ball did not hit rim. Blue ball, point direction. Then spot throwin there" while pointing to spot. (If it is close to hitting rim.) if complete and total air ball raise open hand,point direction and then spot of the throw in.

I do twirl on basket interference every now and then. Nothing else.

Camron Rust Tue Oct 18, 2016 06:47pm

Perhaps we should come running in with multiple tweets, pumping our raised arm 3-4 times to make sure people know we've got the call.

Or perhaps we shouldn't. ;)

DrPete Tue Oct 18, 2016 09:12pm

And the Lead official does NOT make this call. In two man, it should be whistled by the trail, and in a three man crew, center has this call.

Texas Aggie Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:42pm

Quote:

Everyone in the gym knows what it means
Everyone in the gym knows what the signal for delay of game in football is. Should we use that too? Also, that isn't the signal for missing the rim. It is, or used to be, the signal for resetting the shot clock.

If the people missed that the ball didn't hit the rim (or might not have hit it) and have no idea what you're calling, they aren't paying enough attention to matter. Use the correct mechanic -- arm raised with open hand and whistle, point in the direction of the non-offending team's basket, point to a spot for the throw in, and then move to your next position. Verbalize if you want to, but I don't think it is necessary.

Rich Ives Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 992031)

Half the gym is chanting "Air Ball!"

grunewar Wed Oct 19, 2016 04:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 992053)
Perhaps we should come running in with multiple tweets, pumping our raised arm 3-4 times to make sure people know we've got the call.

Joey, is that you? ;)

Dad Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 992048)
In my experience, the entire gym is announcing it for us.

During the season, sure. For now, there's some fan who will start booing and say it hit the backboard. Then all the fans decide since said fan through a fit they had better find a play to throw a fit about. Then I have to become a magician and make a magical call that shuts them all up. Entirely way to much effort when I can just ignore my partners making their swirlies. :D

Kansas Ref Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33am

How/why has the "finger swirlie" persisted for such a long time ?