The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Premise (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101641-premise.html)

Pantherdreams Fri Sep 16, 2016 09:59am

Premise

Thanks to everyone who was so supportive during my year off from officiating. I am back at it again this year, same zones I was working before I left but changes to assignor and in some of our officials seem positive.

One of the things we are doing this year is each official (or some in groups) are preparing a PD of some kind for one of our sessions. Could just be video clips with questions, questions like we get here to debate etc, or it can even be to bring in guest speakers or prepare a presentation on some aspect of the game.

Need help with a premise to build me presentation off of . . .

Everyone wants to be better, but we all know we miss calls: calls we kick, calls we pass on that in retrospect or when looking at video we wouldn't, or just didn't see.

My question to the forum: Would you rather get more of the calls you are passing on and changing your mind on later (or just not seeing) at the risk of kicking a couple more along the way OR would you rather kick as few as possible but pass or miss on more?

Thanks!

bob jenkins Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 990866)
My question to the forum: Would you rather get more of the calls you are passing on and changing your mind on later (or just not seeing) at the risk of kicking a couple more along the way OR would you rather kick as few as possible but pass or miss on more?

I'm not at all sure I understand the question, but it's far better to miss something that did happen than to call something that didn't happen.

Robert E. Harrison Fri Sep 16, 2016 03:19pm

Call the obvious

I would hope that we would want to call the obvious. If the little ole lady on the front row says "That's a foul" or "That's a violation", I am sure we agree that we should get that. With 3-person crews, we should not be missing much because you are only responsible for what's in your primary and if nothing is there help out where you can. 2-person crews will miss or pass on much more but we can't help that. It is what it is. Also the level of play has a lot to do with it. I want to get everything in my primary and if the little ole lady on the front row says "Oh my goodness" I want to be there to help out my partner(s) with that as well. Hope this helps.

Kansas Ref Fri Sep 16, 2016 04:00pm

lol @ "the lil ole lady in the front row" making in-game commentary on the officiating.

BillyMac Fri Sep 16, 2016 04:18pm

Every Single One ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 990882)
"the lil ole lady in the front row" making in-game commentary on the officiating.

She's at all of my games.

LRZ Fri Sep 16, 2016 04:40pm

Wait until you see how she evaluated you: she's an assessor.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 16, 2016 06:47pm

Actually, she's in the category we refer to as "Cold Moms." :p

Pantherdreams Sat Sep 17, 2016 07:10am

Thanks guys. Cold grams aside . . .

It would be a fair statement to start from then, that: the majority of officials feel an incorrect call made is worse than an incorrect no call or a missed call.

BillyMac Sat Sep 17, 2016 08:23am

No Wimpy Whistles, No Wimpy Signals, For All Calls, Correct, Or Incorrect ...

Along similar lines, we've always been taught that the best incorrect call is a strong incorrect call.

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 17, 2016 08:00pm

Here's one of the hot grammies that was at one of my games.

I made sure I didn't make any calls against her team.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...511d699c1b.jpg

Robert E. Harrison Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37am

Blue hairs in the stands!

At a tournament game, during a break in the action, I let my eyes wander through the stands. A little ole lady was sitting there staring at me when our eyes met. She slowly raised her right hand and shot me the bird!!!
I did not look in her direction the rest of the night and have had nightmares ever since.

Mark Padgett Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 990933)
At a tournament game, during a break in the action, I let my eyes wander through the stands. A little ole lady was sitting there staring at me when our eyes met. She slowly raised her right hand and shot me the bird!!!
I did not look in her direction the rest of the night and have had nightmares ever since.

Was this her? She's the mother of a coach.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3d8356f03f.jpg

Robert E. Harrison Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58pm

Nope, She's left handed :eek: But I would recognize her anywhere.

BigT Mon Sep 19, 2016 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 990944)
Nope, She's left handed :eek: But I would recognize her anywhere.

Umm that lady is left handed....

Robert E. Harrison Tue Sep 20, 2016 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 990933)

Note: I said Right Hand in my original post. ;)
Is that why they call you Rookie? :eek: