The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 03:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Because of the overt political leanings of the University.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Does renting the facilities somehow imply agreement with those overt political leanings???
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Does renting the facilities somehow imply agreement with those overt political leanings???
If organizations should avoid using facilities with political leanings, few, perhaps no, states would be able to use any college facility. Or are we to only be tolerant of like-minded people?
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 05:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You asked a question, I answered it. I didn't make any judgments about the situation.

Any further explanations you need to ask the person who made the original comment.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 10, 2016 at 05:33am.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 08:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If organizations should avoid using facilities with political leanings, few, perhaps no, states would be able to use any college facility. Or are we to only be tolerant of like-minded people?
That's if we buy the assumption that public universities have a political leaning.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's if we buy the assumption that public universities have a political leaning.
And Liberty is not a public school. All other facilities utilized by the VHSL are either public high schools/colleges or arenas run by local municipalities. Thus, maybe why the poster said he is shocked Liberty has been used all these years.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The CIAC in CT uses Mohegan Sun for their state championships. I don't think that implies they support gambling, drinking and smoking, although I wonder what effect it has on teenagers that aren't exposed to it in any other public place in CT (well, gambling and smoking).

I know the officials that go to watch the games and support other officials will sometimes get hotel rooms and spend the night drinking and gambling away. Nice way to celebrate the end of the year with fellow friends.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They may not do so officially, but to say they don't is ignoring reality.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 04:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Baby Needs A New Pair Of Basketball Shoes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
The CIAC in CT uses Mohegan Sun for their state championships. I don't think that implies they support gambling, drinking and smoking, although I wonder what effect it has on teenagers that aren't exposed to it in any other public place in CT (well, gambling and smoking).
This didn't happen without some degree of controversy. Many high school principals were totally against this. Eventually the Mohegans gave our high schools an offer that they couldn't refuse. Top notch facility (home of WNBA Connecticut Sun). Plenty of free parking. An affordable rental fee.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post983299
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 10, 2016 at 04:42pm.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 08:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
They may not do so officially, but to say they don't is ignoring reality.
Only universities in Virginia known for overt political leanings are Regent University (for profit, commuter type school) and Liberty. Safe to say I'm pretty familiar with how things are in Virginia.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 10:22pm
wife loves the goatee...

I would respectfully disagree with my friend.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a significant difference between "political leanings" and being overtly political. I'd like to know of another college- in the country-whose facilities are used where the university president publically endorsed a political candidate during a primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Maybe because it is centrally located in state and has fantastic facilities for high school post season structure and events
Its not centrally located to the majority of schools in the VHSL.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

Its not centrally located to the majority of schools in the VHSL.
I would disagree, unless by "majority" you mean (by sheer numbers) schools either in 757 or NOVA. What's now "centrally located", after moving from Lynchburg, about teams traveling all the way to Hampton Roads area for a state championship? Unless you are from that area, and of course one team in the final could be, but not BOTH.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I would disagree, unless by "majority" you mean (by sheer numbers) schools either in 757 or NOVA. What's now "centrally located", after moving from Lynchburg, about teams traveling all the way to Hampton Roads area for a state championship? Unless you are from that area, and of course one team in the final could be, but not BOTH.
Liberty University is not centrally located to the majority (yes, by sheer numbers, not sure of any other meaning that would apply) of schools in VHSL. Richmond and Charlottesville are centrally located. Lynchburg is not.

And I'm not suggesting that the Hampton Roads area is centrally located because it clearly is not either. But two teams from that area could indeed play in the state final.

I'm not really offering my opinion on the VHSL location changes. I'm just pointing out facts, which are that Liberty is overtly political-unlike any other site used by VHSL- and that it is, as a matter of fact, not centrally located in the state.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed May 11, 2016 at 12:12pm. Reason: typo
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And I'm not suggesting that the Hampton Roads area is centrally located because it clearly is not either. But two teams from that area could indeed play in the state final.
Ok I'll give you some of that...not the first time I "called one out of my area"...but are you sure of this statement? I thought teams from same area were eliminated at the semis...in most sports at least
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Old Dominion State ...

Quote:
Liberty University is not centrally located to the majority (yes, by sheer numbers, not sure of any other meaning that would apply) of schools in VHSL. Richmond and Charlottesville are centrally located. Lynchburg is not. And I'm not suggesting that the Hampton Roads area is centrally located because it clearly is not either. But two teams from that area could indeed play in the state final.

The geographic center of Virgina is located about halfway (as the bus travels) between Richmond and Lynchburg.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 11, 2016 at 05:33pm.