The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Sarcasm is lost in print." (Jon Cryer) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm a bit sad BillyMac didn't catch on.
The lack of a blue font fooled me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While he may have missed his mark, but he was being sarcastic.
I got the sarcasm too and laughed a little.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReffingAce View Post
I'll pay you to not make comments like this... remember we all were at this stage in our careers at some point and hoped a veteran would devote a moment of time to us for the good of the game.
I agree wholeheartedly and go out of my way to avoid making these type of comments! Now, Having said that, how much were you going to pay?

Blue font type for all.....

(Now that is/was funny and I sure hope somebody takes time out to laugh at my joke)

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Apr 05, 2016 at 04:37pm.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 09:56pm
The Whistle of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABATTEE View Post
Greetings all, this has been a good season. I officiated in my first 3 Person game on the U.I.C Flames floor for a Nike Tournament. All my other games were mainly Boys Sophomore. Check me out on YouTube. I've learn to record some games. #Battees whistle work" and "Tonio the ref" I can handle constructive criticism .
Just looking at court positioning:

Wouldn't hurt to close down a bit further when working the T. You had a double whistle that started in your primary in the "free throw admin" video and ended up giving the L opposite of lane the call. If you were closed down, your call certainly would have looked much stronger.

Same video... You become cemented in at the L. I can tell you are making a distinct effort to show that you aren't ball watching because when you finally do open up to accept a play, it is very abrupt... you looked like a robot.

"Holding mechanic" video... No need to give preliminary signals with each call. After the whistle, simply designate to your partner whether you're shooting 2, 1 and 1, or a spot foul with possession. Great confidence in whistle though.

In all of your videos you close down nicely from the T once a shot has been taken. It's a good habit to have to get you to commit to the play and watch rebounding action. I don't see big problem with the running form. Get a few more videos when you can and try to keep the angle so that the whole play is in view. It will help define your true positioning as it relates to the ball and where play is happening in relation to your coverage on the floor. Keep up the good work!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 09:59pm
The Whistle of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I agree wholeheartedly and go out of my way to avoid making these type of comments! Now, Having said that, how much were you going to pay?

Blue font type for all.....

(Now that is/was funny and I sure hope somebody takes time out to laugh at my joke)
I was going to donate my Final Four game check! (YMCA Men's B League) of course!
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the comment about the flag patch. It does seem like you stand flat. Get rid of the preliminary signal every time. In my association if we tell partner two shots we don't go up so high.. You are in your pockets a lot. Are you not using a lanyard? In my association, that's a no no.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2016, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I agree with the comment about the flag patch. It does seem like you stand flat. Get rid of the preliminary signal every time. In my association if we tell partner two shots we don't go up so high.. You are in your pockets a lot. Are you not using a lanyard? In my association, that's a no no.
I'd rather someone prelim too much than get in the habit of letting partners possibly guess on what was called. While I know that's not what you mean, it's the result of telling newer officials to stop using them so much. Imo, it's one of the last things you should work on.

I'd rather be obnoxiously sure we never have a correctly error.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2016, 12:22pm
TODO: creative title here

Preliminary signals are also a "when in Rome" thing... my association's clinician (who, it must be noted, is also an observer with the high school league and one of the guys who helps determine who gets state tournament assignments) wants us to do preliminary signals on EVERY foul call.

So, that's what I try to do, although I must admit that I'm not perfect at it.