The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is it always our fault? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10116-always-our-fault.html)

klancie Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
... the backcourt would be at the volleyball line about 5-10 feet back from the actual division line. After Team A makes goal, B1 inbounds ball to B2. B2 dribbles passed (volleyball) "backcourt" and is now in the "gray" area between v-ball line and div line. B2 passes back to B1 which is still in "backcourt." I call the violation and get the drill of "we didn't know that!"

So, if I'm understanding correctly, Team B never got the ball across the "real" division line? In the very few games I've done in shoebox gyms, the offense had to bring the ball across the "real" division line to stop the 10-sec count, and after that, the "imaginary" volleyball line was for backcourt violations. This play would not be a violation under these rules.

I don't have my rulebook handy. Is there some FED guidance on this?

Camron Rust Mon Sep 22, 2003 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by klancie
Quote:

Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
... the backcourt would be at the volleyball line about 5-10 feet back from the actual division line. After Team A makes goal, B1 inbounds ball to B2. B2 dribbles passed (volleyball) "backcourt" and is now in the "gray" area between v-ball line and div line. B2 passes back to B1 which is still in "backcourt." I call the violation and get the drill of "we didn't know that!"

So, if I'm understanding correctly, Team B never got the ball across the "real" division line? In the very few games I've done in shoebox gyms, the offense had to bring the ball across the "real" division line to stop the 10-sec count, and after that, the "imaginary" volleyball line was for backcourt violations. This play would not be a violation under these rules.

I don't have my rulebook handy. Is there some FED guidance on this?

I thought I posted on this thread last week but either I'm blind (the fans think so), I irritated a moderator, or I'm dreaming that I posted....

Anyway, what I said was similar ot what klancie said. The only difference is that I use the volleyball line in the <em>frontcourt</em> as the line to cross to stop the 10 second count. At that point the backcourt line then becomes the volleyball line in the <em>backcourt</em>.

The line in the center of the court becomes effectively non-existant.

Hawks Coach Mon Sep 22, 2003 02:34pm

Never played games on a short court, but I have practiced on them (hate it). I always use the half court for the 10 second count, and the v-ball line for the b/c violation, and b/c can only occur after ball has crossed center court. Never heard of compressing the court so that you have a short b/c at all times.

That said, I have neve seen any written guidance on this, but then again, I can't envision playing at the HS level on a court that small. And NF rules, although used for lower levels of play, address HS play.

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Sep 22, 2003 04:15pm

Everbody understands...Right?

Two or three of you have mentioned asking if everyone understands the new rules and then the situation follow-up is that they didn't understand. As BITS said this is poor communication.

YOU MUST TELL them the rule and how you will enforce it, or just be quiet and assume they understand it - which they should.

If you ask do they understand it, they are going to say "Yes." Then when you enforce it differently than they understood it... there went YOUR credibility. And because you have enforced it different from their expectation you have eroded the relationship with them.

Either explain it completely (probably the best thing to do early in the season or for a "unique" ground/facility rule) or completely leave it alone and just enforce the rule.

For the unique ground/facility rule, you've got to understand it exactly the same as everyone else (just like a rule). And it is more likely that rather than you explaining it to everyone, it will be a discussion among all the participants and a final agreement on how you will enforce the 'ground rule.' The situation is turned around from that of explaining rules; it is incumbent upon you to gain an understanding of how the home team wants this "ground rule" enforced.

just my nickel.;)