The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 23, 2000, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys!
I'm currently a freshman in Hillsboro High School.
What tips can you give me to improve my game?
Like take 500 shots every day? Or maybe some special drills?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2000, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
This is a great site

http://bbhighway.telebasket.com/

Have fun & good luck!

Dan
Old Tue Oct 24, 2000, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

1) If you made the freshman team, ask your coach what he wants you to develop and how, then do what he suggests if you want to improve your game, get more playing time, and move to the next level (JV/varsity).
2) If you are trying to make your team and failed, ask what you need to work on to make it next time.
3) If you haven't yet had tryouts, you may want to approach the coach in advance and ask what his priorities and expectations are, and use that to guide you in preparing. If you don't feel comfortable with this, at least make sure you are 100% fit, play some playround ball against better players, practice your basic skills, make sure you can nail layups at full speed - I know many coaches (rightly or wrongly) who drop kids right away when they can't hit a layup, and come in mentally focussed to give your all for the entire tryout. After tryouts, refer to 1) and 2).

If you serious about your hoops, talking to coaches about your game and showing a willingness to improve where they suggest is the best way to get where you want to be. No guarantees, but it's a good place to start. The coach will notice and you will probably end up working on the kind of things that coaches look for in players.

PS - 500 shots a day at this late date will be a good warmp but won't significantly impact you for this year's tryouts. If you can work on your entire game and get in a lot of shots (with good form), it can only help. But there is much more to bbal than shooting.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2000, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

tryouts are like in 2 weeks (i think novermber 6th)
i'm good at layups when we're playing a game of, say, 21, or even 3on3 or 4on4 half court. Once it comes to full court, it's a bit harder.
WEll, today i played 2 on 2 for the heck of it on a hoop that is like 9'5 (get pretty close to touching the rim).
made most of my layups, but.. once i went on a breakaway, i missed it badly. i threw it too hard like i would on a 10 foot.
tell me, does playing on lower hoops somtimes really mess up my game?
or was it just a bad day?
thx
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely do NOT practice shooting at that basket - I wouldn't recommend doing even layups there for that matter.

If you can't make full court layups, you've already answered one of your questions. You know what you need to work on, because the game you want to play isn't 21, 3v3 or 4v4 - its the full court version. Go to an outdoor court and do some full court layups at full speed (like an all out fast break). Do 4-6 in a row going end-to-end, take a break and do some ball handling work for a minute or two, and go back to the full court running. Don't do too many running repetitions without break because you will begin to slow down and it ceases to be game pace. (this drill will also help with your conditioning) If you go to tryouts and consistently miss wide open fast break layups, it may seriously hurt your chances of getting picked up.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Aight thx!
I don't ever play there, except if there is actually a game going on.
In the neighbor hood where i usually play, we only have 4 people, and a half court game of 2 on 2. And the heighest level is like freshman/JV team. One guy is JV/Varsity but he hardly ever plays cuz of fall league

so the only time i ever get a chance to play against guys a lot better than me is like twice a week at open gyms at my school, which is not good enough