The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Help

I been asking help from my association to help me because I want to move up or be able to do more games. Sad to say that it hasn't happened yet and I remind you the season is over. I have even offered to pay someone to help me. I don't know if this only happens in Georgia, but I need advice, please. Help me!!
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 08:27pm
TODO: creative title here

Welcome to the forum.
I'm going to assume this is (was) your first season.

Can you fill in some details for us:

Are you fully registered/certified/whatever with the state HS athletic governing body?
How many training opportunities were available, and how many did you attend?
How many games were you assigned over the season?
How available were you? (ie: if you're only available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after 5 pm, you're not going to get many assignments)
Did you have to 'turn back' ANY assignments? How many? How much advance notice did you give when it was necessary?
Were there ever games being played after your assigned games (JV after your freshman game, varsity after your JV game, etc)? Did you stay and watch the other officials?
How good of a partner are you?
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM5 View Post
I been asking help from my association to help me because I want to move up or be able to do more games. Sad to say that it hasn't happened yet and I remind you the season is over. I have even offered to pay someone to help me. I don't know if this only happens in Georgia, but I need advice, please. Help me!!
Have your associations president call me I'll set them straight.

867-5309.

p.s. Thanks for the reminder, I totally forgot.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bingo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Were there ever games being played after your assigned games (JV after your freshman game, varsity after your JV game, etc)? Did you stay and watch the other officials?
This is very important.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is very important.
I disagree, but I suppose it could be important if your assigner actually cares about it and has some way to know if you did/didn't stay.

As a rookie official I found sticking around after a game to be a colossal waste of my time. So I almost never did. Maybe it works for you, but I could find way better returns on my valuable time in becoming a better official. My schedule has always been phenomenal and I've been blessed with some great opportunities. Point being, find what works for you in improving your game.

Anyway, I can already smell why you probably aren't getting games. Look at yourself and start making any changes you can. Be honest with how bad you are, I always am, and it pays off. It tends to bother me when officials ask for my advice because they want more or better games. The first thing I can tell you is stop. Your first priority should to be a great official, no matter what games you're given.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is very important.
Agree. To a large degree, those that leave as soon as their game is over are the same ones who wonder why they're not moving up. Those that stick around learn things that help them move up (both good things to do and bad things not to do). It can be done without it, but it is certainly harder to improve if you're not watching how others that have succeeded do it.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not clear about what kind of help you are requesting. If it's advice about getting better and moving up, then you gotten some of that already. I'm repeating some of what others have said, but here's my take.

If you are working a JV game with a varsity game to follow, do you ask the varsity guys if you can sit in on their pregame and half-time talk? Do you ask them if they saw anything during your game, good or bad?

Staying to watch is not a question of simply taking attendance. Rather, it is an opportunity to observe more experienced refs, learn from their judgments and pick up techniques. Ask them questions, at half or at the game's end.

Do you go over your own performance after each game and think about what you could have done differently or better? Do you delve into the rule book and case book frequently?

Do you attend clinics and camps?

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Feb 29, 2016 at 05:59pm.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree. To a large degree, those that leave as soon as their game is over are the same ones who wonder why they're not moving up. Those that stick around learn things that help them move up (both good things to do and bad things not to do). It can be done without it, but it is certainly harder to improve if you're not watching how others that have succeeded do it.
I know plenty that stay and wonder why they are not moving up.

I see no good correlation.

Just another way to give fellow officials a false hope of getting better. I've seen just as many bad habits learned as I have good ones. Rookies staying after to watch games is just a disaster and there are far better uses for your time.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Just another way to give fellow officials a false hope of getting better. I've seen just as many bad habits learned as I have good ones. Rookies staying after to watch games is just a disaster and there are far better uses for your time.
I used to stay after and watch a quarter or 2, it worked for me.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Dad, YMMV. In my chapter, the refs who are serious about improving, ask questions (not directly to get better games, but to learn and hopefully move up), and learn the difference between the good and bad things. And they have a better chance to advance, as a consequence.

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Feb 29, 2016 at 03:56pm.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Certainly, people stay and don't move up, but it is a good indicator of interest and desire to improve. While some that stay don't move up, those that don't stay are even more likely to be in the group that don't.

Rookies staying after is a GREAT way to observe and learn....sometimes they learn what not to do.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Mar 01, 2016 at 12:06am.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Certainly, people stay and don't move up, but it is a good indicator of interest and desire to improve. While some that stay don't move up, those that don't state are even more likely to be in the group that don't.

Rookies staying after is a GREAT way to observe and learn....sometimes they learn what not to do.
My thoughts exactly. Staying and watching games by in large helps. While it doesn't always mean "This is what I should do," I think they get more positive out of it than negative. Not to mention as Camron says, it shows interest and desire to improve. That doesn't mean they will, but they have a better chance in my mind than those who chose not to.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Staying and watching isn't enough. Ask the varsity crew if you (proverbially) can join their pregame, half-time, and (maybe even) post game discussions.

Just to emphasize LRZ's post.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Feb 29, 2016 at 06:11pm. Reason: acknowleding LRZ
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM5 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

My first thought is to ask what you mean by "asking help from my association." I would recommend contacting two people.

1. Your assigner. Ask him or her what you can do to improve so he or she can use you on higher level games.

2. This one is harder, because it may take time to identify this person. Find someone who is working the level you want to work, or higher, and is willing to help you personally. Don't count on the group to help, find a specific individual. Offer to buy him coffee or a beer or a lunch. Ask to pick his brain. Go to him with rule questions and application questions and game management questions.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Staying and watching isn't enough. Ask the varsity crew if you (proverbially) can join their pregame, half-time, and (maybe even) post game discussions.
See post #7.