The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illegal or not?? Please Help!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100993-illegal-not-please-help.html)

Camron Rust Sun Feb 28, 2016 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewls885 (Post 982664)
I agree and have argued, cited rules, bylaws and still get told that I am misinterpreting this and that what they did was legal!! Can anybody help me with this??

Not much that can be done when your appointed rules interpreter gets it wrong.

Jewls885 Sun Feb 28, 2016 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 982690)
Not much that can be done when your appointed rules interpreter gets it wrong.

Yeah, wrong or right, he gets the last say I guess.
On a side note though, the referees from the next game are the ones who caught it. So I guess when the refs "reported" it to KHSAA, it's easy to think they must have been doing something illegal....I guess maybe the officials weren't sure either....not to mention when the head coach and assistant coach got fired as soon as they got off the bus back at their school. So I guess this means now that all teams everywhere going to regional and state tournaments can now do this too. Basketball has now become like nascar, every team can have a "spotter".....

jTheUmp Sun Feb 28, 2016 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewls885 (Post 982694)
Basketball has now become like nascar, every team can have a "spotter".....

Football, of course, has allowed "spotters" in the pressbox for as long as I can remember, although football is very different due to size of the playing field and number of players participating at once.

Methinks a clarification or "editorial change" will be forthcoming from the NFHS on this for next season... personally, I think this type of thing shouldn't be allowed in basketball, but if NFHS decides to allow this type of communication that's fine too... one less AC on the bench to potentially have a problem with.

cretin870 Sun Feb 28, 2016 08:18pm

reading mr tacket email that was posted didn't he say legal among coaches wouldn't think a fired coach could be labeled a coach for the team he was fired from

deecee Sun Feb 28, 2016 08:44pm

I don't see how this gives a team an unfair advantage. It's dealing with the same information in the game and I'm guessing you are from the losing school. You could have done this as well but in reality it just appears that the losing team's coach got out coached.

cretin870 Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:03pm

lol --funny watch basketball game sitting up high in bleacher seeing whole floor so much better and I would think if coach and assistant coach willing be fired if caught most of thought it give advantage may be legal but I would say highly unethical or teams be hiring a assistant coach sit in stands instead of on bench

bob jenkins Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 982669)
You can relay things from up top to the bench.

No, you can't.

10.1.3A "Team A's coach (b) is in contact with an assistant coach in the press box via a headset. RULING: A team technical foul is charged in (b).

edit: I see part of the problem. This is in the 2014-2015 book, but has been removed from the 2015-2016 book.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 982708)
I don't see how this gives a team an unfair advantage. It's dealing with the same information in the game and I'm guessing you are from the losing school. You could have done this as well but in reality it just appears that the losing team's coach got out coached.

Do you ever see teams taking scouting videos from floor level?

BigCat Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982710)
No, you can't.

10.1.3A "Team A's coach (b) is in contact with an assistant coach in the press box via a headset. RULING: A team technical foul is charged in (b).

edit: I see part of the problem. This is in the 2014-2015 book, but has been removed from the 2015-2016 book.

In the 15/16 book 10.1.3a says they can relay info from up top to the bench. The comment also says electronic devices can be used for coaching purposes. I can see cell phones/ headsets being illegal but these days everybody has them (cell phone) and can email an assistant on the bench.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982710)
No, you can't.

Removal from the book doesn't mean the rule was changed to make it legal. It just means they decided to put something else in that they felt was more important.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 982712)
In the 15/16 book 10.1.3a says they can relay info from up top to the bench. The comment also says electronic devices can be used for coaching purposes. I can see cell phones/ headsets being illegal but these days everybody has them (cell phone) and can email an assistant on the bench.

That's 2015-16 10.1.3, subpart (a), not 10.1.3A.

And, it's the same at 2014-15 10.1.3B(a).

The difference being that someone is personally bringing information from the press box or dressing room to the bench. Or, showing plays to team members on the bench. There's no direct "electronic transmission" from the press box to the coach.

BigCat Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 982713)
Removal from the book doesn't mean the rule was changed to make it legal. It just means they decided to put something else in that they felt was more important.

I think removal from the book can be an indication that they may have changed it. I don't agree that they remove things just to put something more important in. Its not difficult to add pages. Frankly, they could have just made a mistake. The play saying they have tv in the press box and "relay" it to the bench is also in the 14/15 book. Question is how can you relay it.....

BigCat Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982715)
That's 2015-16 10.1.3, subpart (a), not 10.1.3A.

And, it's the same at 2014-15 10.1.3B(a).

The difference being that someone is personally bringing information from the press box or dressing room to the bench. Or, showing plays to team members on the bench. There's no direct "electronic transmission" from the press box to the coach.

I used the little (a). Just left off the parenthesis.:) and they are the same play. Clearly, last year, "relay"meant no electronic communication from up top to bench because we had the headset play also in book saying you can't do it. Question is does the removal of the headset play mean it's now legal?

Obviously, we could enforce the headset rule but we couldn't stop somebody from up top emailing an assistant on the bench. I think they are likely to allow emailing video to the bench but not go as far as headsets. It could use a rewrite.

BigCat Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:00pm

Also, the headset play was in the case books when 10-1-3 said no electronics can be used for coaching purposes in the game being played.(my 10/11 books show that) That rule has changed as we know. It may be that they forgot to remove the headset case play when they changed the rule. Finally did this year.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 982716)
I think removal from the book can be an indication that they may have changed it. I don't agree that they remove things just to put something more important in. Its not difficult to add pages. Frankly, they could have just made a mistake. The play saying they have tv in the press box and "relay" it to the bench is also in the 14/15 book. Question is how can you relay it.....

Not true. Print formats have certain production restraints and budget issues. They can very well be limited to a specific number of pages. They drop things all the time without intending for them to no longer apply. Unless there is a statement to say it has changed, it is just as likely to apply as to not apply.