LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Another Euro Step (Video)

Is this a travel?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Looks good to me. I do not think you can call the right foot the pivot foot in order to make that a travel in NFHS
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

In real speed I don't think you can really tell. It looks like he is going to take another dribble, but then cradles the ball instead. At that point the right foot is the pivot foot in my opinion so I would say he traveled on this move. I don't think I would have called it during a game though because he made me think he was going to take one more dribble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Legal under NBA rules...in fact, he could have stepped with the left foot if he wanted.

In fact, I'd judged this legal under all rule sets
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Real speed I think he is ok, too close to call when you slow it down----so I would call him ok at the game
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I think his left hand is under the ball when his right foot is on the floor. He's ended the dribble at that moment. In high school and college i think this is technically travel.

In college, there's a case play that says benefit of doubt in ending the dribble goes to the player. I would not call this travel in a college game. I know if I did I'd be the only one calling it. It doesn't do the game any good if only one guy is calling it. It's close so allow it. In college it is becoming accepted to the point that each side believes its legal. There's no issues from allowing it at that level. Only when its called on one end and not the other do problems arise.

In a high school game id have to see what else was called. When its this close and smooth i'm apt to allow it.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think his left hand is under the ball when his right foot is on the floor. He's ended the dribble at that moment. In high school and college i think this is technically travel.

In college, there's a case play that says benefit of doubt in ending the dribble goes to the player. I would not call this travel in a college game. I know if I did I'd be the only one calling it. It doesn't do the game any good if only one guy is calling it. It's close so allow it. In college it is becoming accepted to the point that each side believes its legal. There's no issues from allowing it at that level. Only when its called on one end and not the other do problems arise.

In a high school game id have to see what else was called. When its this close and smooth i'm apt to allow it.
Bingo. Even at the HS level, if both teams expect it to be legal when they have the ball, why blow the whistle?
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Bingo. Even at the HS level, if both teams expect it to be legal when they have the ball, why blow the whistle?
Because coaches and fans "expect" a lot of things to be legal or illegal and that is not the basis for what should and shouldn't be called?

Saw this live the other night and thought of the forum. I also thought it was a legal move and still do.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Both teams would be out of starters after the first half if we did that.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Because coaches and fans "expect" a lot of things to be legal or illegal and that is not the basis for what should and shouldn't be called?

Saw this live the other night and thought of the forum. I also thought it was a legal move and still do.
Let me try to be clearer -- I'm a proponent of saving the whistle for things that really need a whistle. I've watched other officials call 10 travels in a half and if you did film analysis you'd find that 4-5 of them were borderline or weren't travels at all.

The "looking to catch someone in a travel" mentality puzzles me.

Sure, the opposing coach is going to "think" this is a travel -- they yell TRAVEL on everything even when they don't really know. But when his kid does the exact same thing he thinks it's perfectly legal.

I'm not saying we'll call everything based on what the coaches think, but I'm guessing that 95% of the travels I call....both coaches in their heart-of-hearts know it's a travel.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The "looking to catch someone in a travel" mentality puzzles me.

Sure, the opposing coach is going to "think" this is a travel -- they yell TRAVEL on everything even when they don't really know. But when his kid does the exact same thing he thinks it's perfectly legal.

I'm not saying we'll call everything based on what the coaches think, but I'm guessing that 95% of the travels I call....both coaches in their heart-of-hearts know it's a travel.
Agree completely.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 12:27pm
Often wrong never n doubt

The Euro step in hs is the great majority of the the time a travel. However it is difficult at full speed to catch the end of the dribble so it has become expected that it is always legal. Makes me with we would go to two steps after the gather. Most everyone but officials already believe that is the rule anyways.