The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simultaneous Foul Involving Shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100956-simultaneous-foul-involving-shooter.html)

bob jenkins Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by griblets (Post 982172)
The confusing part (for me) was that one of the fouls was in the act of shooting. It's unnatural for a shooter to be fouled but not receive free throws, thus, the confusion.

Thanks to SNIPERBBB and you for clarifying for me.

There are a couple of case plays that deal with this (or similar). they are separated by a couple of pages so it's hard to compare them directly, but it's interesting to see the differences.

I'll try to find them tonight or tomorrow.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 982184)
If you could determine which foul happened first, you could ignore the second foul if it doesn't reach the level of being a dead ball contact foul.

Not (by rule) if the first foul is committed against the shooter -- the ball isn't dead until the try ends, so the second "foul" is still during a live ball.

I agree with Nevada on the patient whistle part. I might go so far as to say very few "rebounding" fouls should be whistled until there's a rebound -- even if the push happened a second or two earlier.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982186)
Not (by rule) if the first foul is committed against the shooter -- the ball isn't dead until the try ends, so the second "foul" is still during a live ball.

I agree with Nevada on the patient whistle part. I might go so far as to say very few "rebounding" fouls should be whistled until there's a rebound -- even if the push happened a second or two earlier.

That makes sense. Imagine this conversation...

Coach: Why did you call a foul on A2?
Official: It was a rebounding foul on him.
Coach: What rebound?
Official: Well, if it wasn't for the foul against the shooter, and the shot missed, there would have been a rebound.
Coach: But there was no rebound, so how can there be a foul on it?

Yeah, I'm sure you can explain a simultaneous foul and whatnot. Just thought that conversation would be funny. Or not.. you can decide. LOL

Smitty Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 982191)

Official: Well, if it wasn't for the foul against the shooter, and the shot missed, there would have been a rebound.

Yeah, I'm sure you can explain a simultaneous foul and whatnot. Just thought that conversation would be funny. Or not.. you can decide. LOL

I agree with Bob, but in your scenario, saying it was a rebounding foul is just the wrong thing to say in general. It was a push. Keep it simple and to the point, otherwise you open yourself up to the kinds of conversations you're imagining.

HokiePaul Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 982151)
This is the only correct response so far. I'm surprised that people are so confused as to how to administer a simultaneous foul. The rule is simply--no FTs and go to POI.
In a & c the ball became dead while in A1's hands so Team A is awarded a throw-in nearest that location. In b & d the try in flight causes the ball to remain live until the try ends, so the POI is determined by the result of the try. If successful, Team B is awarded an end line throw-in. If unsuccessful, the AP arrow is used.

This sounds more or less the same way your would administer a blarge call -- something that many officials around my parts pregame

Ball released on shot--AP if missed or count basket and B ball anywhere on endline if made
Ball not released (or released on a pass) -- Ball dead imediately. A in Team control at time of fouls so it remains A's ball for throwin.

SNIPERBBB Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 982191)

That's why you use rule book terms, either a pushing or holding foul, in your conversations. Then we don't have to deal with this silliness.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 982193)
I agree with Bob, but in your scenario, saying it was a rebounding foul is just the wrong thing to say in general. It was a push. Keep it simple and to the point, otherwise you open yourself up to the kinds of conversations you're imagining.

Yeah, I agree. That type of conversation Just came into my head, and I wanted to share it.

Adam Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 982132)
MTD, any foul that is part of a simultaneous foul is not a common foul, by definition.

Doesn't need to be, it's still committed by a teammate of the shooter, which is the actual wording of the rule.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 982196)
This sounds more or less the same way your would administer a blarge call -- something that many officials around my parts pregame

Ball released on shot--AP if missed or count basket and B ball anywhere on endline if made
Ball not released (or released on a pass) -- Ball dead imediately. A in Team control at time of fouls so it remains A's ball for throwin.

That's because simultaneous and double fouls are covered by the same rule. ;)

just another ref Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 982184)
If you could determine which foul happened first, you could ignore the second foul if it doesn't reach the level of being a dead ball contact foul. Sans video assistance, unless one of the calling officials was able to both actions, odds are that isn't going to happen.

If one happened first, you don't have a simultaneous foul, but rather a false double foul.