The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I heard about a coach in my state whose team was playing a team who had a player with some sort of mental disability (Down syndrome I think). They had the game well in hand and since it was the end of the season, the other coach emptied his bench, including the aforementioned kid. So Coach A says to the ref "T me up. Give me one." The ref kinda looks at him like he's crazy.

He repeats: "T me up. Give me a ****ing technical." At this point the ref really has no choice. Coach B sends the disabled kid to the line and suddenly it all made sense to the officials. Never heard if the kid made the shots or not.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

If a player gets something undeserved, it doesn't really matter who gives it to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
I heard about a coach in my state whose team was playing a team who had a player with some sort of mental disability (Down syndrome I think). They had the game well in hand and since it was the end of the season, the other coach emptied his bench, including the aforementioned kid. So Coach A says to the ref "T me up. Give me one." The ref kinda looks at him like he's crazy.

He repeats: "T me up. Give me a ****ing technical." At this point the ref really has no choice. Coach B sends the disabled kid to the line and suddenly it all made sense to the officials. Never heard if the kid made the shots or not.
I think there are a lot of nice stories about opposing players and coaches making adjustments to allow a particular player to score a basket he or she didn't deserve.

I understand that officials are supposed to be impartial. However, coaches are supposed to coach in a way that most benefits their team and players are supposed to compete to the best of their abilities.

To me, if a player is going to get something he didn't deserve, it doesn't really matter whether the coach earned a T, the opponents played NBA All Star Game Defense, an opponent fouled a player, or a referee found a foul.

Somebody had to violate their "honor" to be the best coach/player/official they can be and make a mockery of a segment of the game for the overall good.

I don't think there is anything wrong with an official refusing to make up a foul, but I don't think there is anything wrong with a coach refusing to tell his players to not intentionally foul a particular player, or a player for refusing to create an opportunity for an opponent to score.

Last edited by JeffM; Tue Feb 23, 2016 at 12:22am. Reason: grammar correction