Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

UK @ Texas A&M Plays

Play #1: Upward Motion Play

Play #2: Double Whistle between officials, properly done

Play #3: Legal defender?

Play #4: PC Foul than Jay's rant (which is funny)

Play#5: Shooting Foul (Complaining about a push off)

Play#6: Texas A&M Coach T'd

A lot was going on in this game for sure.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 02:11pm.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Regarding the Bilas rant......at the end he says that the presumption is towards a charge rather than the other way around.

I'd add "as it should be" to the end of his sentence.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the first three calls. Didn't watch the 4th.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with them all. Usually if Bilas has an opposing opinion I feel confident that I am correct.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

#2: Should the T take this one? To me that seems like the L should have taken it. Its fine to have two whistles but it just seems like L should have had first crack, just because its on the block right in front of him.

I didn't have a problem with any of them, especially the PC that Jay was griping about. That looked like an easy call. Same with the "strait up" foul, great call.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 03:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

#3) B1 violates verticality by walking into A1

#5) push-off comes after B1 has already fouled A1

#6) we have no idea what Kennedy said, and neither did Bilas, so Jay needs to just STFU on this one.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

#1) I'll be in the minority here, but thought continuous motion was in play and shots were warranted.
#2) Wonder if the L deferred to T because of the open hand and thinking he was going with a travel or other violation 1st. Definitely think both had a PC though and would've leaned towards this being L's primary.
#3) I like it
#4) I like it
#5) Defender definitely grazed in the face by the leading elbow, but looked incidental more due to defender putting his face in a bad place. Like the call.
#6) See BNR's comment.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Correct. Contact before the dribble has ended.

#2. Correct call. Wrong official takes the call. Should defer to lead. Lead started to show charge. Trail was also "showing" by his steps towards the backcourt. The T also had an open hand instead of a fist. Maybe the L deferred to the trail because he thought the open hand was implying there was a travel first.

#3. Correct call....Moving into the shooter.

#4. Correct call.....defender was in the path, facing, with two feet down well before contact (and contact occurred before the opponent ever left the floor to jump). It is not required that a defender be stationary. Lateral movement, even at the time of contact is legal if they have obtained LGP and that defender did.

#5. Correct call. Any "push-off" was not until after he was already fouled. Defender didn't have LGP....jumped sideways and across the path of the shooter and, as a result, didn't have any rights.

#6. No idea what he said but he was clearly directing something disagreeable at the official.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 04:37pm.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
#1) I'll be in the minority here, but thought continuous motion was in play and shots were warranted.
Well the rule is different in college as you have to have "upward motion" to reward a shooting foul first. If that is not the case, then this does not apply. In high school rules I think this would still be close, but I think we would have to show replay to know that this was not a shooting foul IMO.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

I hate Bilas so much when he talks about officiating.

I was shaking my head constantly during the game's final minutes. His 'rant' after the obvious T (ball spike) was laughable too.

Which is too bad, because other than that, he's one of my favorite commentators to listen to. And I'm a huge fan of how he stands up for the rights of student athletes.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
#2: Should the T take this one? To me that seems like the L should have taken it. Its fine to have two whistles but it just seems like L should have had first crack, just because its on the block right in front of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#2. Correct call. Wrong official takes the call. Should defer to lead.
I believe that this play was mechanically handled correctly. Play originates in Slot's primary. When foul occurs Lead has not completed his rotation (is just starting to turn around). This does not become Lead's primary until he has completed his rotation. From watching my game films I've determined that I miss more calls when I make them at lead while in rotation and the players are moving away from me. I've learned to be patient and give Slot first crack at this play if I am not 100% confident or I will try to put a fist up instead of signalling. The slot official has the best chance at getting this specific play correct because he saw the play from start to finish while barely moving. The lead picks up the play midway through and is moving away from the play while looking back at it. The lead of course has to be prepared to make a call but should go up with a fist to prevent a blarge. This is a great example of why the slot should not rotate out to Trail as soon as they see Lead coming over. When you see the slot doing that it tells me they are not refereeing the play anymore.

Great mechanics/court coverage discussion play! Thank you Jeff for posting it.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cford View Post
I believe that this play was mechanically handled correctly. Play originates in Slot's primary. When foul occurs Lead has not completed his rotation (is just starting to turn around). This does not become Lead's primary until he has completed his rotation.
The L was well outside of lane by the time of contact. I think he had a plenty good look at the play...which is why he blew his whistle and had the call. He was there and had the best view, even if he wasn't squared up to the play.