The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 02:14pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Quote:
While we're at it regarding equity, how about shooting player control fouls? Why not? Aren't they just as wrong as a foul committed by a player without the ball? Why should the fact that a player was in player control when he commits a foul mean that foul is any less serious?
How about just not shooting on any offensive fouls. That would seem the most equiptable solution to me.

I'd bet that the NF will go to a similar technical foul system that the NCAA is implementing this year. It is certainly more fair and it is not that hard to understand! Officials will just have to get rid of the "shoot in order that it happened" mentality.

If we didn't want to make things complicated, we should have stuck with the original 13 rules by Naismith
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

================================================== ==
While the changes may not be "hard" per se, they nonetheless require the refs to do a lot more thinking now about what type of technical it is, how many shots will be required, which team had the ball at the time of the call, where was the ball located at the time of the call, if its on the baseline can the player run or is the spot designated, etc., etc. All this, compared to: 2 shots, ball OOB at the division line. The latter, you have to agree, was much simpler in implementation
================================================== ==

I agree that the implementation may be harder, however determing the type of 'T' is the easy part. What i call stupid play technicals(hanging on the ring, bookkeeping errors, excesssive TO's) are all one shot. Actions directed at an official (verbal or non) will always be two shots, doesn't matter who does the preformance, there will always be two encores.

Depending on when the 'T' is called, and why it is called the player may run the baseline. Lets not forget that the only time a player my run is after a valid goal.

Thanks
SH