The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time out or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100896-time-out-not.html)

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 981062)
So lets say you talk your partner out of the timeout.

What are you going to do now, go IW then either give the ball back to A if they didn't loose possession and the coach now gets a freebie, or give the ball to B if they took control?

Regardless of who gets the ball afterwards, A is going to be charged with a TO.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981063)
I'm telling my partner that I'm 100% sure the pass was in the air when the TO was requested, and that B should get the ball after the TO.

I don't think that's right.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:16pm

Why not? Granting a timeout to A when B has the ball?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981063)
The only question, and I will approach my partner with this, is who gets the ball afterwards. I'm telling my partner that I'm 100% sure the pass was in the air when the TO was requested, and that B should get the ball after the TO.

Even it it were in the air when the request was granted, that is a dead ball while still in control of team A. Even if he was wrong to grant it, you don't have any rules justification for giving the ball to B unless B had actually obtained control of the ball before the request.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981076)
Even it it were in the air when the request was granted, that is a dead ball while still in control of team A. Even if he was wrong to grant it, you don't have any rules justification for giving the ball to B unless B had actually obtained control of the ball before the request.

My understanding is that if we grant a request at a time it shouldn't be granted it is to be treated as an IW: grant the TO and the play would resume based on who had TC when the whistle blew not when the coach spouted off.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981079)
My understanding is that if we grant a request at a time it shouldn't be granted it is to be treated as an IW: grant the TO and the play would resume based on who had TC when the whistle blew not when the coach spouted off.

Agree....I read what you wrote as the pass was in the air when it was granted.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981081)
Agree....I read what you wrote as the pass was in the air when it was granted.

I wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I was responding to the OP. Pass was in the air when the request was made, but had been intercepted by B by the time it was granted.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 15, 2016 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981082)
I wasn't as clear as I could have been, but I was responding to the OP. Pass was in the air when the request was made, but had been intercepted by B by the time it was granted.

In that case I agree.

Raymond Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:23pm

If I'm tableside and the coach requests a time-out, it doesn't take much effort to see if his player has the ball in his hand, especially if he has jumped in the air. I don't care what corner he is in.