The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a T here?

End of half, A1 takes buzzer beater right in front of me. He's just across half court, table side, I'm the T. No contact so I have nothing. Crowd is calling for a foul but if defender got anything, he barely got ball. A1 is incredulous that no foul was called and walks past me on way to locker room and laughs in my face. I whacked him. Too thin skinned?
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 09:44pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
End of half, A1 takes buzzer beater right in front of me. He's just across half court, table side, I'm the T. No contact so I have nothing. Crowd is calling for a foul but if defender got anything, he barely got ball. A1 is incredulous that no foul was called and walks past me on way to locker room and laughs in my face. I whacked him. Too thin skinned?
Not at all.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 09:45pm
High Five Master

Seems to me it was justified. No place for a child to try to show you up.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Reasonable.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2016, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Whack.
Don't tolerate disrespectful behavior.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Seems to me it was justified. No place for a player to try to show you up.
Fixed. I'm calling this at any level.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 12:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Fixed. I'm calling this at any level.

When a "player" of high school age acts like a "child" then he/she should be punished for his/her child like bad behavior. And when a "player" who is an adult (and I have had a few college players in my time) acts like a "child" then he/she should also be punished for his/her child like bad behavior.

When I lived in Glendale, California, many many years ago. I whacked a player in a women's jr. college player for child like behavior. She drove the lane bouncing off defenders who had LGPs and threw up an off balance layup which did not go in the basket. She through a temper tantrum, stomping her feet and waving her arms, while yelling that she was fouled (her coach pretty much was doing the same thing in front of the bench). The player (remember, she was in college and therefore and adult) reminded me of a five year old throwing a temper tantrum because her parents said "no" to a request she had made. So if the shoe fits......

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
When a "player" of high school age acts like a "child" then he/she should be punished for his/her child like bad behavior. And when a "player" who is an adult (and I have had a few college players in my time) acts like a "child" then he/she should also be punished for his/her child like bad behavior.

When I lived in Glendale, California, many many years ago. I whacked a player in a women's jr. college player for child like behavior. She drove the lane bouncing off defenders who had LGPs and threw up an off balance layup which did not go in the basket. She through a temper tantrum, stomping her feet and waving her arms, while yelling that she was fouled (her coach pretty much was doing the same thing in front of the bench). The player (remember, she was in college and therefore and adult) reminded me of a five year old throwing a temper tantrum because her parents said "no" to a request she had made. So if the shoe fits......

MTD, Sr.
I just find the arbitrary terms to define someone's attitude, kid or an adult, are arbitrary and borderline stupid. Show me a HS freshman game where the players act worse than a men's wreck league. Players will act like a clown or they won't, I really don't see why an age group should be attributed to them.

I've never seen the connection between being older and having a better attitude. In fact, bad parenting aside, I'd say adults have more clown-ish behavior than kids.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Show me a HS freshman game where the players act worse than a men's wreck league ...

In fact, bad parenting aside, I'd say adults have more clown-ish behavior than kids ...
100% agree. NOTHING is worse than the antics of men's league basketball. Truly disgraceful and pathetic.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Easy T here.

Do you shoot the FTs before everyone goes to the locker room, or after they come back??
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Easy T here.

Do you shoot the FTs before everyone goes to the locker room, or after they come back??
End of half. Then T happened.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is situational. I have no problems calling technicals--some partners have called me Mr. T--but that is only one way to manage a game. If the player hasn't been a problem all game long, a stern cautionary word might be enough. In the OP's case, maybe, maybe not. It all depends on context.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

We have a process to report these issues. I might just file a report if the T is not going to change the outcome of the game. Purely situational here.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I think this is situational. I have no problems calling technicals--some partners have called me Mr. T--but that is only one way to manage a game. If the player hasn't been a problem all game long, a stern cautionary word might be enough. In the OP's case, maybe, maybe not. It all depends on context.
Is this because you look like a badass or because you give techs?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Maybe you shouldn't wear so many gold chains on the court