The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you are to make statements to the press an official, you need to properly address the scenario using the appropriate terms. An F1 is a personal foul that results in 2 shots by the offended players and a throw-in at the spot of the foul. A CDBT is a Class A technical that results in shots by any offended team player and a division line throw-in.

The fact that he jumbled up the rule terminology may have played a part in them not properly ruling this an F2 in the first place.
I seriously doubt it had an impact on the decision made on the court to not disqualify the offending player. He was merely making the point to the media that it was a level 1 offense, not a level 2.

I still think that there are too many classifications for fouls in the NCAA book. Streamline it by going with either level 1 & level 2 or class a & class b for all types of fouls which aren't normal fouls. I don't understand why the same system can't apply to both personal and technical fouls.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I still think that there are too many classifications for fouls in the NCAA book. Streamline it by going with either level 1 & level 2 or class a & class b for all types of fouls which aren't normal fouls. I don't understand why the same system can't apply to both personal and technical fouls.
I think at one point it did. Then they switched F1 T to CDBT. Or, maybe I'm mis-remembering.

And, while his comments could be criticized if it was some written response or he had time to edit, or was an article in RefMag, etc. -- we all use some shortcuts or slightly incorrect nomenclature when speaking / teaching. Shouldn't happen, but the meaning was pretty clear.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
CDBT do NOT equal F1's. an F1 is the HS equivalent of a intentional foul and is for live ball contact. CDBT can be just that a T or a F2. The only difference is the spot the ball is put into play and a player being dq'd.

A flagrant foul 1 ONLY exists as a personal foul. The F2 can be a personal or Technical foul depending on when the contact occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Uh deecee, he knows. Did you notice that he wrote "F1 technicals"? There is no such animal in the NCAA rulesbook, but that is essentially what a CDBTF is. He and I were discussing the terminology and the merit of the NCAA just renaming the CDBFT an F1 technical foul. I feel that would be a simpler naming system and cause less confusion in communicating the call to the coaches and media. He replied that he had gotten used to the CDBTF nomenclature.
What Nevada said. I'm well aware F1s only exist as live-ball fouls in the NCAA universe. When the terminology was changed a few years ago the way I remembered a CDBT was to think, "Oh, it's an F1 technical."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I believe his comment was partially inaccurate because you can't have an FF1 when the ball is dead.
Why not?

Contact that would be and FF1 during a live ball becomes a T during a dead ball. Because it happens during a dead ball, it becomes a T. If it is not enough for an FF1, it is not enough for a dead ball contact T.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 16, 2016 at 05:41pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why not?
Because FF1 is LIVE ball only. Dead ball you have a "contact dead ball T" or unsporting T. you can have dead ball FF2 but not 1.

Also the resumption of play for a FF versus T is different.

Last edited by deecee; Tue Feb 16, 2016 at 07:34pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why not?

Contact that would be and FF1 during a live ball becomes a T during a dead ball. Because it happens during a dead ball, it becomes a T. If it is not enough for an FF1, it is not enough for a dead ball contact T.
Why not? Because the foul chart at the back of the NCAA rule book makes pretty clear that a flagrant 1 foul is a live ball personal foul.

There is no such thing as an FF1 technical. If some officials think of it that way, fine, but it's still not the correct terminology. It's not like NFHS where an intentional foul can be personal or technical.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Why not? Because the foul chart at the back of the NCAA rule book makes pretty clear that a flagrant 1 foul is a live ball personal foul.

There is no such thing as an FF1 technical. If some officials think of it that way, fine, but it's still not the correct terminology. It's not like NFHS where an intentional foul can be personal or technical.
The point is that when contact that would be a FF1 during a live ball occurs, it should be ruled a technical during a dead ball. If it doesn't rise to the level of a FF1, it is generally not enough to be called (at least not for the contact itself).