The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Calipari ejected (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100877-calipari-ejected.html)

zm1283 Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:16pm

Calipari ejected

Kentucky is at South Carolina. 17:34 in the first half. South Carolina called for a foul on a rebound. Camera cuts away, Calipari gets one technical then goes to the table to confront the official about it and gets a second one....bye bye. Something happened between him and that official while the other official was reporting the original foul, but you can't really tell from what they showed. If the video experts can pull it up later it would be interesting to see.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 980734)
Kentucky is at South Carolina. 17:34 in the first half. South Carolina called for a foul on a rebound. Camera cuts away, Calipari gets one technical then goes to the table to confront the official about it and gets a second one....bye bye. Something happened between him and that official while the other official was reporting the original foul, but you can't really tell from what they showed. If the video experts can pull it up later it would be interesting to see.

Tom Hart was INCORRECT when he stated that the initial foul was called against South Carolina. It was against Kentucky, which is why SC shot 4 FTs.

I've gotta wonder if this is the quickest Caliper has ever gotten the hook.

Rich Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980736)
Tom Hart was INCORRECT when he stated that the initial foul was called against South Carolina. It was against Kentucky, which is why SC shot 4 FTs.

No, it was against South Carolina. It was a rebounding foul.

SC shot 4 because of the 2 technical fouls.

zm1283 Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980736)

No, he is correct. The official called the foul on South Carolina and pointed Kentucky's direction. Why would South Carolina shoot two free throws for a non-bonus foul? They shot four free throws because Calipari got two technical fouls.

Calipari was upset about a previous scrum on a rebound where there was no foul called. If it's the same one ESPN showed, there was no foul as the SC player displaced his teammate and no one from Kentucky.

Rich Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:37pm

How many HS officials would've allowed the subsequent action to happen without showing the coach the gate?

This is a great example of a great official doing what he had to do.

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:44pm

I stand corrected. I see that they did give the ball to kentucky after the 4 FTs for the 2 technicals.

You can CLICK HERE to see a video of it already posted.

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980739)
How many HS officials would've allowed the subsequent action to happen without showing the coach the gate?

A lot, unfortunately. And that's partly because some assigners (present company accepted) assume their officials didn't handle something well the moment they get a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 980741)
A lot, unfortunately. And that's partly because some assigners (present company accepted) assume their officials didn't handle something well the moment they get a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to see film before I decide for myself.

Consequently, if an official complains to me about a coach and didn't issue a technical in the game, I'm not interested in that report, either.

twocentsworth Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:24pm

Kentucky was getting shoved around on their defensive glass...I can see why Calipari go the 1st one....ESPECIALLY after the NCAA's video bulletin emphasized calling fouls during block out/rebounds....

ODog Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 980744)
Kentucky was getting shoved around on their defensive glass...I can see why Calipari go the 1st one....ESPECIALLY after the NCAA's video bulletin emphasized calling fouls during block out/rebounds....

??

The official literally JUST called that exact thing in Kentucky's favor. Nothing justifies that response from Cal.

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:37pm

Quote:

I will post the play in a few minutes.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 980745)
??

The official literally JUST called that exact thing in Kentucky's favor. Nothing justifies that response from Cal.

Actually he called a foul against Kentucky. That is why he got upset. But it was a good call. His guy cleared out a SC player.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:42pm

Possession before the ejection took place...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B3UrThPoHqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 01:48pm

I am very sure. I can post the entire sequence, but it was already shown. They gave the ball to South Carolina after everything and it was clear that that is what got him upset if you see the entire situation. I am looking for an angle right now they showed that will show why the foul was called.

Peace

zm1283 Sat Feb 13, 2016 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 980747)
Actually he called a foul against Kentucky. That is why he got upset. But it was a good call. His guy cleared out a SC player.

Peace

No. The foul just before the ejection was on South Carolina. If not, why did Kentucky get possession on the POI after the four free throws? Jamal Murray missed a three five seconds later at 17:29, he is a Kentucky player.

Go here and look at 17:34. Foul on Kacinas, who is a SC player: Kentucky Wildcats vs. South Carolina Gamecocks - Play by Play - February 13, 2016 - ESPN

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 02:34pm

I will have to go back and look, but I believe they gave the ball back to South Carolina based on the video. I will look again as there was some confusion by the commentators.

Peace

SNIPERBBB Sat Feb 13, 2016 02:56pm

To me it looks more like the SC guy fouled his own teammate

JRutledge Sat Feb 13, 2016 03:01pm

I went back and looked at the video and it appears they gave the ball to Kentucky after the 4 FTs. It was not clear as they did not show the throw-in and not sure where they gave the ball to them at based on the broadcast. ESPN was busy showing continuous replays of Coach Cal getting ejected. But it looks like #13 on Kentucky fouled the SC player and pin balled him into another Kentucky player.

That even shows more silliness by Coach Cal because he got the foul and the play I showed that the Play-by-Play guy claimed was a foul before, he had nothing to complain about.

Peace

SC Official Sat Feb 13, 2016 03:06pm

Quote:

Of course you can. You'll do everything you can to justify his behavior and, more or less, pin the blame on the crew.

pizanno Sat Feb 13, 2016 03:07pm

Simmons not reseting on laurels...

I see he had two more technicals in 2nd half, including KU asst coach. Good for him, though wondering if partners had opportunity.

SC Official Sat Feb 13, 2016 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizanno (Post 980766)
I see he had two more technicals in 2nd half, including KU asst coach. Good for him, though wondering if partners had opportunity.

twocentsworth will probably attribute it to the official being a poor communicator.

Adam Sat Feb 13, 2016 04:26pm

Quote:

I think there was an over the back that could have been called.

SNIPERBBB Sat Feb 13, 2016 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 980777)
I think there was an over the back that could have been called.

Surely you mean a pushing foul, yes?

Cue Billy....

Adam Sat Feb 13, 2016 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 980785)
Surely you mean a pushing foul, yes?

Cue Billy....

I was being facetious, but I meant what I said. The ONLY thing I saw on replay was an SC player teaching over a UK kid who didn't bother to jump. Nothing to call, IOW.

Adam Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37am

Let's get back on track, folks. I've just deleted some posts because there's no need to pile on here.

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 01:18pm

Imagine Will Rogers Posting On The Forum ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 980785)
Surely you mean a pushing foul, yes? Cue Billy....

Sorry I'm late to the table. I've been trying figure out how to keep my chickens from freezing to death. I keep telling them that they can't sleep with me, but they won't listen.

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"Over the back", reported by an official to the table on a rebounding foul, is, in reality, probably a pushing foul. Over the back is not necessarily a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called, and this should be reported to the table as such.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”

For the record, I knew exactly what Adam really meant in the context of his post. I also doubt that he uses the phrase, "Over the back", when he reports fouls to the table.

AremRed Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:49pm

Anyone notice Sirmons run across the court to Cal before he gave the T? I can't imagine that is a good way to de-escalate things.

Rich Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19pm

Perhaps his goal wasn't to de-escalate there.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980932)

Yep, may have been too late for that.

bballref3966 Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 980931)
Anyone notice Sirmons run across the court to Cal before he gave the T? I can't imagine that is a good way to de-escalate things.

Sirmons has worked three Final Fours. I think he knows what he's doing.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizanno (Post 980766)

First Technical in the second half.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Zp2uby2cN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second Technical Foul in second half.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eb2xtBk4a-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:33am

Here is the end line view of the play that helped get Coach Cal ejected

Breakdown from the end line.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Utpr9AJ_T0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 980931)

My thoughts exactly. Calipari wasn't looking to get tossed but something was said to him that clearly fired him up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980932)

Are you suggesting baiting him is OK? (Put aside your disdain for Calipari and imagine that was your beloved Bo Ryan before you answer).

AremRed Mon Feb 15, 2016 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 980939)
Sirmons has worked three Final Fours. I think he knows what he's doing.

Which obviously means he is above reproach and never makes a mistake. :rolleyes:

It's funny considering Sirmons told me this summer that he got reprimanded for going in the UNI's huddle when he had that 3 points/backcourt violation play. I imagine his supervisor probably didn't like him running over to Cal and then whacking him in this game either.

Rich Mon Feb 15, 2016 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 980947)
My thoughts exactly. Calipari wasn't looking to get tossed but something was said to him that clearly fired him up.

Are you suggesting baiting him is OK? (Put aside your disdain for Calipari and imagine that was your beloved Bo Ryan before you answer).

Or maybe Sirmons went over that way in response to something Calipari did/said.

Hall of Famer. What a joke. How he got voted in over Bo Ryan still disappoints me.

jeremy341a Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18pm

Who was SC foul on 30, 24 or 25?

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 980984)
Who was SC foul on 30, 24 or 25?

The play on the rebounding foul appears to be on white 25 (Ending view)

That was according to the box score I looked up.

Peace

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:46pm

I don't like that first T in the second half. The offensive player was attempting to shoot the dead ball, so the defensive player blocked or stripped it. Why penalize only the defense there?

deecee Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 980988)
I don't like that first T in the second half. The offensive player was attempting to shoot the dead ball, so the defensive player blocked or stripped it. Why penalize only the defense there?

If the offensive player does actually take a shot they could be penalized with a DOG. The defense doing what they did could be penalized with an unsporting T (which they were). Actions have consequences. What the offensive player may have done is just useless conjecture for what actually happened.

Any opinions on the travel call?

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 980988)

If the shooter reacts in any way you can and will have a problem. It is not his job to knock away the ball out his hand.

Peace

bballref3966 Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 980960)
Which obviously means he is above reproach and never makes a mistake. :rolleyes:

It's funny considering Sirmons told me this summer that he got reprimanded for going in the UNI's huddle when he had that 3 points/backcourt violation play. I imagine his supervisor probably didn't like him running over to Cal and then whacking him in this game either.

You do realize that his supervisor for SEC games isn't the same as the one for the NCAA Tournament, right? What makes you so sure that his supervisor isn't going to like what he did here? He had to go over there to switch anyway because the tableside official called the foul.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 980993)

Any opinions on the travel call?

No issues with the travel. He moves both feet before the dribble.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 980960)
Which obviously means he is above reproach and never makes a mistake. :rolleyes:.

No it means he is accomplished and I doubt they totally disagree with his basic judgment. That is what happens when you are and accomplished official or coach. And unlike a coach we are picked to work games by someone in a higher position. Do not think that there are his bosses that have seen him in big time situations and judged he knows what he is doing.

And honestly we have no idea what Coach Cal said. Cal could have never came to the table at all. Shame on him if he gets a T. Stay your behind at the bench if you want to stay in the game.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980966)
Or maybe Sirmons went over that way in response to something Calipari did/said.

Hall of Famer. What a joke. How he got voted in over Bo Ryan still disappoints me.

That says all I need to know.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981009)
And honestly we have no idea what Coach California said. Call could have never came to the table at all. Shame on him if he gets a T. Stay your behind at the bench if you want to stay in the game.

Peace

He did. We're talking about the first T. He was right at his chair at the time of the first one.

The 2nd T, sure, he deserved that one 100%, no question.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981015)
He did. We're talking about the first T. He was right at his chair at the time of the first one.

The 2nd T, sure, he deserved that one 100%, no question.

OK not sure where he is sitting has anything to do with my pov. He said something than did not let it go.

Peace

Rich Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981014)
That says all I need to know.

It's true. Ryan had a much more accomplished career.

My friends would laugh at this, cause I'm one of the few here who never really idolized Ryan. I thought he mailed it in at the beginning of this season and Gard's success since taking over bears that out.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 981022)
It's true. Ryan had a much more accomplished career.

Not really....according those who are put people in the HoF.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981029)
Not really....according those who are put people in the HoF.

Well that's kind of circular.

AremRed Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 981004)
You do realize that his supervisor for SEC games isn't the same as the one for the NCAA Tournament, right?

Yes I am aware John Adams and Jake Bell are two different people.

Quote:

What makes you so sure that his supervisor isn't going to like what he did here?

Perhaps cuz it looks like Sirmons baited him?

Quote:

He had to go over there to switch anyway because the tableside official called the foul.

Yeah but how many officials sprint across the floor to their new position??

deecee Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 981042)

On most of my switches I am hustling to my position. In some cases it may be a sprint depending on how far I have to go. The more you hustle to your position, the better you look, and the happier it makes your assignor.

So you can mark me as one under that column.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:32pm

Quote:

Without knowing exactly what Cal said to precipitate it, I'm going to defer to the official who's been to multiple Final Fours and assume he didn't bait the coach rather than a coach for whom this may be excessive but not completely out of character.

jpgc99 Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 981043)
On most of my switches I am hustling to my position. In some cases it may be a sprint depending on how far I have to go. The more you hustle to your position, the better you look, and the happier it makes your assignor.

Sprinting to your new position would make you look like a fool. You have a responsibility to watch the other players while your partner is reporting the foul. Move with a purpose, but if you are wildly sprinting across the floor, you can't manage the 10 players on the floor adequately.

jpgc99 Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 981044)
Without knowing exactly what Cal said to precipitate it, I'm going to defer to the official who's been to multiple Final Fours and assume he didn't bait the coach rather than a coach for whom this may be excessive but not completely out of character.

Agree. He could have been sprinting over to try to keep the coach calm. If the coach is running out and making a scene, I would be fine with the official hustling over to try to calm things down. If the official gets over there and the coach says "F you," there's not much that can be done at that point ...

I don't see anything to put blame on the official from watching the film.

deecee Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 981045)
Sprinting to your new position would make you look like a fool. You have a responsibility to watch the other players while your partner is reporting the foul. Move with a purpose, but if you are wildly sprinting across the floor, you can't manage the 10 players on the floor adequately.

In 3 man you don't all need to be eyeballing the players during dead balls. Secondly if you can't sprint to your spot and observe the players in front of you then you have other issues. Plus this is what has gotten me to the NCAAM rank and it's what is expected by my assignor. Dead ball officiating is not rocket science, it's having game/situational awareness.

Always hustle (period). I will say that I don't hustle enough when reporting a foul, but that's something easily remedied. It's a pet peeve of mine when I see officials just half ass their rotations and switches. You know where you have to go, get there.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 03:53pm

Quote:

I would love to know how you bait a coach while switching to your new position on a foul you did not call? I am sure you know more about this than I do. After all he was more than 10 feet from Cal when the second T was issued.

Peace

AremRed Mon Feb 15, 2016 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 981043)

You really sprint across the floor when switching during a dead ball? Did you see how fast Sirmons was running in the video?? Do you know what the word "sprint" means?

I'm going to need to see some video from your games, can you provide video of you sprinting during switches please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981054)
I would love to know how you bait a coach while switching to your new position on a foul you did not call?

I never said Sirmons baited him, but the perception looks like he did.

Quote:

I am sure you know more about this than I do.

Your sarcasm won't work on me buddy. :D

Quote:

After all he was more than 10 feet from Cal when the second T was issued.

Irrelevant. I'm not talking about the 2nd T, I'm talking about the first one.

deecee Mon Feb 15, 2016 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 981065)
You really sprint across the floor when switching during a dead ball? Did you see how fast Sirmons was running in the video?? Do you know what the word "sprint" means?

I'm going to need to see some video from your games, can you provide video of you sprinting during switches please?

I just rewatched the video. That wasn't a sprint. But maybe sprint is a bit overstated. But The speed he was moving at is what I try and maintain when I have to get somewhere. I will sprint if I HAVE to get to a spot because it looks like something may be going down.

I also sprint when going from T-->L and C-->C in most cases. Then again me sprinting may be a jog for most others :(.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:21pm

Quote:

I never said Sirmons baited him, but the perception looks like he did.

Whose perception are we talking about? I do not assume that baiting has much to do with sprinting to a new position. Obviously the situation resulted in a T by what was said. Now if we have audio of what was said, then OK, but we do not have audio of what was said and I am sure that report was sent to the powers that be. And if a coach does not want to get a T, they can just shut up, but they have to say something.

Quote:

Your sarcasm won't work on me buddy. :D

I am sarcastic, not going to change or nor am I worried about what works on you. Just find it odd what you stated.

Quote:

Irrelevant. I'm not talking about the 2nd T, I'm talking about the first one.

It is irreverent to get baited when you have been given the first T. I do not subscribe to the "He got baited" when the attitude is I can say whatever the hell I want to say to you, but don't you say anything to me. Sorry, that is lame.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981075)
It is irreverent to get baited when you have been given the first T.

Peace

He didn't have a T yet at the time. The first T can out of the blue and appears questionable to some by what can be seen on any video that has been shown. Calapari, while not happy with something, wasn't out of control until after the first T. Something happened there that really set him off.

The 2nd T was obvious, but may not have ever happened in absence of the 1st T.

JRutledge Mon Feb 15, 2016 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 981078)
He didn't have a T yet at the time. The first T can out of the blue and appears questionable to some by what can be seen on any video that has been shown. Calapari, while not happy with something, wasn't out of control until after the first T. Something happened there that really set him off.

The 2nd T was obvious, but may not have ever happened in absence of the 1st T.

OK, but do you know what was said? I don't. If he said something that is inappropriate it does not matter what the official did.

BTW, this was the same game last year that Calipari got ejected from at South Carolina. Do not think for a second that this was not calculated on some level. Once he got the show he left.

Peace

SC Official Mon Feb 15, 2016 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981080)
OK, but do you know what was said? I don't. If he said something that is inappropriate it does not matter what the official did.

BTW, this was the same game last year that Calipari got ejected from at South Carolina. Do not think for a second that this was not calculated on some level. Once he got the show he left.

Peace

Two years ago. ;)

And blaming the official for the first T based solely on the film we have here is insane, IMO.

Raymond Mon Feb 15, 2016 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 981094)
Two years ago. ;)

And blaming the official for the first T based solely on the film we have here is insane, IMO.

I agree. Sirmons ran to the table but Calipari was still in the bench area when he got T'd the first time. We don't know what Calipari did or said at that point.

BlueDevilRef Mon Feb 15, 2016 09:35pm

He probably said "I'm a hall of famer but Bo Ryan isn't" and as we all know, that alone is worthy of a T