The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Moving to Richmond Va (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100872-moving-richmond-va.html)

Cole4088 Fri Feb 12, 2016 08:42pm

Moving to Richmond Va

I'm moving to Richmond in about two weeks. It looks as if there is no online exam but you must join an association and go from there. Anyone have any insight on this and can help me out?

JeffM Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:26pm

Central

You will want to join Central. There is a High School Camp that you may want to attend towards the end of June.

grunewar Fri Feb 12, 2016 09:59pm

BadNewsRef is from the Hampton Roads area and will be along shortly (he's probably working and didn't have his games postponed lie those of us to the north, because the weather people thought it MIGHT snow). I'm sure he knows his way around that are and can help.

LCUBED you there? Help a fellow official out!

Cole4088 Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58pm

Thanks fellas. Appreciate all the help I can get. I've emailed people from central and can't seem to get an email back.

VaTerp Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03pm

My hometown. I'm in the DC area now but know some people.

Pretty sure others may have better info but feel free to p.m. me.

Lcubed48 Sat Feb 13, 2016 08:50am

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole4088 (Post 980685)
I'm moving to Richmond in about two weeks. It looks as if there is no online exam but you must join an association and go from there. Anyone have any insight on this and can help me out?

Lcubed48 here. Welcome to the RVA! Our (mine & BNR) association is CVBOA. Send me a PM, and I'll be happy to answer any questions, basketball and otherwise.

Hey, grunewar! Wassup!

Lcubed48 Sat Feb 13, 2016 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 980686)
You will want to join Central. There is a High School Camp that you may want to attend towards the end of June.

Cole..., there are 2 3-man camps in the metro Richmond are in late June. The one you choose depends on your level knowledge and experience. We can communicate via email about them.

crosscountry55 Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 980688)
BadNewsRef is from the Hampton Roads area and will be along shortly (he's probably working and didn't have his games postponed lie those of us to the north, because the weather people thought it MIGHT snow).

Arghh! I hear 'ya! Happened to us in south Hampton Roads as well. All evening events got cancelled 24 hours prior, and then our 1-3 inches turned into maybe 0.75 inches, and nothing accumulated on the roads. Complete overreaction, as usual.

Having grown up in Wisconsin, the fact that the mere threat of light snow here causes municipal chaos just boggles my mind. :eek:

Very frustrating. At least the game I lost was rescheduled on a day I had open.

Raymond Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:03pm

My private school game in Williamsburg was canceled last night.

I'll actually be seeing the CVBOA commish this afternoon.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Raymond Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole4088 (Post 980685)

You must join an association to work HS ball in VA. Living in Richmond you want to join Central Virginia Basketball Officials Association.

LCUBED48 will PM you any information you require.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

grunewar Sat Feb 13, 2016 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 980716)
Arghh! I hear 'ya! Happened to us in south Hampton Roads as well. All evening events got cancelled 24 hours prior, and then our 1-3 inches turned into maybe 0.75 inches, and nothing accumulated on the roads. Complete overreaction, as usual.

At least you got SOME snow. We had our games postponed and got zip, zilch, zero, nada, the null set of snow! Not a flake!!

Rescheduled on the holiday on Monday!

BillyMac Sat Feb 13, 2016 04:04pm

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 980772)
Rescheduled on the holiday on Monday!

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mf8...=0&w=300&h=300

The president of the laboratory that I work for decided to remove the 1/2 day paid holiday on Good Friday from our calendar and add a full paid holiday on President's Day (a day that was previously not a paid holiday). Sounds like a good deal, getting a full paid holiday, and giving up a 1/2 paid holiday? That was until he discovered that many of our clients do not have a President's Day holiday and will still be sending in water, and soil, samples to be analyzed. Now I'm working Monday and we haven't heard about Good Friday yet.

Anybody here old enough to remember, as school kids, when we had separate days off for Lincoln's Birthday, and Washington's Birthday? And these holidays were actually celebrated on their birthdays, February 12, and February, 22, and not celebrated on the nearest Monday? How about it Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.? Didn't you help Abraham Lincoln split logs?