The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100804-what-would-you-do.html)

Terrapins Fan Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:09am

What would you do?

Had an incredible game last night, girls varsity. Neighboring teams from different counties very competitive with one another. Game goes back and forth and back and forth. 5 points at halftime for the home team. Visitors come back tied it up. we go over time.

In the overtime it is tied with 11 seconds to go, visitors have the ball. I have a girl on the baseline, visitors best player, shove the defender with both hands to gain an advantage. I called the team controlfile we go the other way. Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game. Fans join in and say you can't make that call with 11 seconds to go.

Thoughts.

Home scores a 2. Visitors have 1 last chance with 4 seconds to go in front court after a timeout. Pass the ball around the arc and launch a desperation 3 to no avail.

Terrapins Fan Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:10am

Just for clarification, the push with both hands was full extension of the arms. Separation of about 3 to 4 feet.

BillyMac Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:31am

I'm Not From Missouri, But Show Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 979184)
Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game. Fans join in and say you can't make that call with 11 seconds to go.

Citation please.

Smitty Wed Feb 03, 2016 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 979187)
Citation please.

Citation for what????

UNIgiantslayers Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:07am

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...atsthejoke.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 979188)
Citation for what????

Eastshire Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 979188)
Citation for what????

Where the rules book says that it's not illegal to shove players with 11 seconds left in a close game.

I never have grasped the school of thought that there shouldn't be any rules at the end of a close game.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:18am

Quote:

Had an incredible game last night, girls varsity. Neighboring teams from different counties very competitive with one another. Game goes back and forth and back and forth. 5 points at halftime for the home team. Visitors come back tied it up. we go over time.

In the overtime it is tied with 11 seconds to go, visitors have the ball. I have a girl on the baseline, visitors best player, shove the defender with both hands to gain an advantage. I called the team controlfile we go the other way. Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game. Fans join in and say you can't make that call with 11 seconds to go.

Thoughts.

Home scores a 2. Visitors have 1 last chance with 4 seconds to go in front court after a timeout. Pass the ball around the arc and launch a desperation 3 to no avail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 979185)
Just for clarification, the push with both hands was full extension of the arms. Separation of about 3 to 4 feet.

Based upon your description you probably had a good case for an IPF. That said, you had at least a TCF and you got it.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I sure do miss Neil Brayton playing for Maryland in Cole Fieldhouse.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:20am

Quote:

Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game.

I usually respond with something like '#14 shoved her with two hands, full extension." (be very specific here) "She left me with no choice."

Or, "You'd want that called if it was the other team who did it."

Raymond Wed Feb 03, 2016 08:35am

Quote:

In the overtime it is tied with 11 seconds to go, visitors have the ball. I have a girl on the baseline, visitors best player, shove the defender with both hands to gain an advantage. I called the team controlfile we go the other way. Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game.....

I usually respond with something like, "if it didn't gain her an advantage, why did she do it?"

BatteryPowered Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:05am

I had a similar comment last night. Coach says "Let the players decide it" not really directed at anyone as it was the next trip down the floor. I took the opportunity to respond with "And you player decided to commit a foul. That's on her."

bainsey Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:11am

Quote:

Coach goes ballistic says I should never make a call like that with 11 seconds to go in the game. Fans join in and say you can't make that call with 11 seconds to go.

Excrement.

Terrapins Fan Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 979196)
I usually respond with something like '#14 shoved her with two hands, full extension." (be very specific here) "She left me with no choice."

Or, "You'd want that called if it was the other team who did it."

As I went past her bench, I did say, "push both hands, full extension". She was very close to a T as she had come on to the floor to yell at me, my partner intercepted her and walked her back to the bench. The side lines on that floor are almost non existent. 3 feet max and a wall. No stands on bench side. Great game. My 3rd OT of the year with 4 others games within 3 points. I am having a fun season.

I read here a lot, I just don't get to post too much. I have 10 games this week. 2 V tonight.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 03, 2016 09:58am

The same as when coaches complain about the foul count... it's irrelevant.

Now, the foul count could help us determine if we're not doing things properly, but most of the time it's a bs argument.

JetMetFan Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34am

1. I most likely wouldn't have responded to the coach because he made a statement as opposed to asking a question.

2. Just curious: Had anything happened with this player earlier in the game? Not that I'm justifying what she did but if she's her team's best player and she has a meltdown like that late in a close game it makes me think something went on earlier.

JRutledge Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:46am

I would have probably ignored the statement all together unless I had some interaction during the game and I was right next to him. Otherwise, act like I did not hear it and laugh inside.

Peace