The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100804-what-would-you-do.html)

Adam Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 979215)
As I went past her bench, I did say, "push both hands, full extension". She was very close to a T as she had come on to the floor to yell at me, my partner intercepted her and walked her back to the bench. The side lines on that floor are almost non existent. 3 feet max and a wall. No stands on bench side. Great game. My 3rd OT of the year with 4 others games within 3 points. I am having a fun season.

I read here a lot, I just don't get to post too much. I have 10 games this week. 2 V tonight.

It worked for you, but those comments rarely work for me. Your partner did a great job, it sounds like.

If I had said anything to the coach, "Two handed shove, coach, I had to decide between TC and IF. Take the win." I would have only done that if I had the time to do so calmly.

It probably would have got me in trouble, though.

Smitty Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 979231)
2. Just curious: Had anything happened with this player earlier in the game? Not that I'm justifying what she did but if she's her team's best player and she has a meltdown like that late in a close game it makes me think something went on earlier.

I was thinking this as well. I notice a lot of times on throw-ins, a player will give a little push-off to get free for the inbounds pass and it rarely gets called unless it's really egregious. I'm wondering if she hadn't been doing it all game and it wasn't called until that particular time. Not that it wasn't a foul. Just wondering...

BillyMac Wed Feb 03, 2016 04:24pm

And I Can Keep On Counting Up ...

How about with twelve seconds left?

crosscountry55 Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 979193)
Where the rules book says that it's not illegal to shove players with 11 seconds left in a close game.

I never have grasped the school of thought that there shouldn't be any rules at the end of a close game.

+1. Last two minutes of a close game you might shift to a mindset of "high certainty" or some other mental framework like that. But two-hand shove with 3-4 feet of separation? Sounds like high certainty to me! Great call. Hope you sold it like a Persian rug peddler. [emoji3]

Earlier in the year I was T and V1, down by two with 3 seconds left gets off a 3-pt from the corner. As an airborne shooter he gets bowled over by an over-eager H1. I guess I wasn't supposed to make that call based on Coach Logic? [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffM Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:05pm

I don't disagree with previous comments....

but, I have heard on many occasions not to make a call at the end of a game that you haven't made up until that point.

It sounds like the situation described in the OP was egregious enough that it deserved to be called.

I think the officials did let the players decide by not whacking the coach which also would have been justified.

MechanicGuy Thu Feb 04, 2016 01:44am

Sounds like the announcers during the Clippers game tonight after CP3 got T'd with 20 seconds left lol

Eastshire Thu Feb 04, 2016 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 979386)
but, I have heard on many occasions not to make a call at the end of a game that you haven't made up until that point.

If a play wasn't a foul in the 1Q, you shouldn't call it as a foul at the end of the game.

OTOH, just because it didn't happen in first 3 quarters, doesn't mean you don't call it when it happens in the 4Q.

The point is the rules are the same no matter where we are in the game. Our interpretation of those rules shouldn't change either.

Terrapins Fan Thu Feb 04, 2016 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 979405)
If a play wasn't a foul in the 1Q, you shouldn't call it as a foul at the end of the game.

OTOH, just because it didn't happen in first 3 quarters, doesn't mean you don't call it when it happens in the 4Q.

The point is the rules are the same no matter where we are in the game. Our interpretation of those rules shouldn't change either.

As is typical with most games, we had a wide variety of house throughout the game. Several hand checks, 3 seconds in the lane, and we had a push at the other end of the floor against the other team in very similar fashion, call by one of my partners. That was in the first half. This was definitely a very physical contest. We were in the bonus in the third quarter.

Refhoop Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 979239)
I would have probably ignored the statement all together unless I had some interaction during the game and I was right next to him. Otherwise, act like I did not hear it and laugh inside.

Peace

I can't do that without my tummy moving a bit and smiling... just one more thing I have to work on! :(

I just say: "Coach that call was easy to make... EASY"
I repeat the word easy for the double entendre effect :D

Adam Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 979386)
I don't disagree with previous comments....

It sounds like the situation described in the OP was egregious enough that it deserved to be called.

I think the officials did let the players decide by not whacking the coach which also would have been justified.

If it was justified, they could have rung him up and still "let he players decide the game."

Multiple Sports Thu Feb 04, 2016 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 979215)
As I went past her bench, I did say, "push both hands, full extension". She was very close to a T as she had come on to the floor to yell at me, my partner intercepted her and walked her back to the bench. The side lines on that floor are almost non existent. 3 feet max and a wall. No stands on bench side. Great game. My 3rd OT of the year with 4 others games within 3 points. I am having a fun season.

I read here a lot, I just don't get to post too much. I have 10 games this week. 2 V tonight.

In a tight game, why did you say anything as you passed the bench. You knew it would illicit a response. Full extension.....50% extension, who cares ???

Just make your call and go on......