The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BC violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100768-bc-violation.html)

bainsey Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:44am

BC violation?

I'm the new T (two man), in transition. A-1 dribbles the ball in her BC, close to the division line.

B-2 comes from behind A-1 and steals the ball, about 3-5 feet from the line, and takes it into her BC. I pause for a second for my partner to get it. (He's practically on the line.) He didn't, so I came in late with a whistle and a BC violation against B. I got a "what the hell are you doing?" look from my partner, but we moved on.

In our post-game discussion, he says there's an exception in the BC rule for a steal. I tell him that only applies to airborne players, jumping from FC and catching the ball before landing in the BC (much like the exception on throw-ins). I saw B-2 control her dribble in her FC and take into the BC, all violation criteria met. It was an unfortunate location for B-2, but it was still a violation. He also wanted to know why I was "even looking there?" We were in transition, so the areas are not as defined.

Is this my kick? Thoughts?

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47am

Good call. You were right.

Dad Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48am

Great call.

I'm confused why your partner thought it was his call. Sounds like the play was right in front of you and it's your play to watch even on a steal. There should be a bunch of other players he/she is watching.

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2016 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 978473)
... He also wanted to know why I was "even looking there?" ...

"Because I knew I was working with someone who doesn't know the rules."

HokiePaul Thu Jan 28, 2016 01:16pm

Correct call, assuming the player actually controlled the ball in the front court prior to going into the back court. And it is a call that you should get since you were right there and your partner missed it.

I guess you're partner isn't technically incorrect if he thought it was his call. If there was a change of possession, he would have become the trail with division line responsibilities. However, in transition or press coverage situations, especially in 2-man, the lead should assist the Trail with division-line violations, if they are in position to do so.

bainsey Thu Jan 28, 2016 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 978477)
I'm confused why your partner thought it was his call.

HokiePaul has a point. Technically, my partner would've become the new trail on the steal, so any backcourt violation would've been his, and he was right there at the line. I was 15-20 feet behind it. Since the whole thing was in transition, it's hard to pinpoint PCAs, anyway.

I believe my partner thought the steal exception extended to any play within close proximity to the division line. He may have wondered why I'd punish a steal like that.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2016 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 978518)
HokiePaul has a point. Technically, my partner would've become the new trail on the steal, so any backcourt violation would've been his, and he was right there at the line. I was 15-20 feet behind it. Since the whole thing was in transition, it's hard to pinpoint PCAs, anyway.

I believe my partner thought the steal exception extended to any play within close proximity to the division line. He may have wondered why I'd punish a steal like that.

Did he at least understand the rule after your conversation?

Dad Thu Jan 28, 2016 03:06pm

Quote:

I was imagining you being right next to the line and your partner being near the basket.

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2016 03:55pm

Quote:

Ask your partner why he would be looking at the ball handler on the initial play in order to know whether or not the defender stole the ball and gained PC.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 28, 2016 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 978535)
Ask your partner why he would be looking at the ball handler on the initial play in order to know whether or not the defender stole the ball and gained PC.

As described, and during "pressing action", I think that was in his partner's area.

As I picture it, bainsey was at the FT line extended /top of key in A's backcourt, where A1 had the ball. Partner was just in the A's frontcourt, near the division line, near A2 / B2. A1 then passed the ball to / toward A2 and ...

bainsey Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 978535)

That would only start a p***ing contest on this day. I've worked with this partner a number of times before, both basketball and soccer, and he's always been a pleasure. He was in a rough mood this time. We've all had them.

Cole4088 Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:17am

I feel this isn't a conversation of who's is it but he misunderstood a rule. You were pretty far away to grab that. By book it's your area but a good partner wouldn't ever use that excuse and grab the call being that he is nearest the action and in my opinion a simple call. *If she had clear cut possession*. I could see a scenario where he was right there and she tips it, fumbles, then grabs it with her momentum takes her into BC then he will look at you with that state as if a 'I was right there and it WASNT a BC violation.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 29, 2016 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole4088 (Post 978573)
I feel this isn't a conversation of who's is it but he misunderstood a rule. You were pretty far away to grab that. By book it's your area but a good partner wouldn't ever use that excuse and grab the call being that he is nearest the action and in my opinion a simple call. *If she had clear cut possession*. I could see a scenario where he was right there and she tips it, fumbles, then grabs it with her momentum takes her into BC then he will look at you with that state as if a 'I was right there and it WASNT a BC violation.

In order to fumble, a player must first be holding the ball.
As said earlier, there is no exception for a player who isn't airborne, so even with your changes, it would still be a violation.

Adam Fri Jan 29, 2016 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole4088 (Post 978573)

Are you actually saying you think Bainsey should not have called such a blatant violation because his partner was closer?

Raymond Fri Jan 29, 2016 08:42am

Bottom line, Bainsey was responsible for the BC count, which means he was responsible for determining possession of the ball while it was still in the BC. He determined that B2 gained PC, which terminates his count. B2 then crossed the division line into Team B's backcourt.