The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Weather Cancellations

Looking for input on how assignors/individuals working for assignors handle the weather related cancellations.

Assumptions: Looking for input where the official is not directly contracting with the school. I would assume in this case, the cancellation is handle between the school and official(s).

1. Does Arbiter offer any sort of cancellation notification?

2. If not through software, who initiates the cancellation (assignor, school secretary, AD, etc.)?

3. Who is responsible for notifying the crew? Is it the R, the assignor, etc?

4. How early do you expect cancellation notifications?

5. Do cancelled games that are rescheduled automatically go back to the assigned crew if available?

6. Other notes?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 05:21pm
High Five Master

Arbiter does have a notification which will send an email and it will be red bolded on schedule. For both softball and bball, schools generally call me first and then if I haven't spoken to assignor, I will do so at that time. I like them as early as possible but can't fight Mother Nature, she makes that call. And as for it automatically going back to original crew, in general yes but a lot of the time, it gets to a point where original crew already has a game on reschedule date. Win some, lose some.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

My association uses Arbiter, and Arbiter will show cancellations. We usually also get association-wide emails that games are cancelled and are reminded to check Arbiter before leaving for the game. Arbiter is our official notification.

My association's rule is that you get first chance at the game if it is rescheduled, even if you are blocked as unavailable (basically the rescheduled game is yours until you turn it back). If you are already scheduled for a game at the rescheduled time, then you would lose that game.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

If a storm begins on game day and our assignors are swarmed with cancellations, we may or may not receive an official game cancelled update from Arbiter - we are always instructed to contact the school ourselves to find out if the game is on or not when there is bad weather. Better safe than sorry.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 09:34am
High Five Master

And yes, it should go without saying: if you head to a game in snow and ice without making sure it's still on and it turns out to be canceled? That one is your fault. Luckily there is a social media guy around these parts that posts cancellations as he is advised so one can generally get a good feel for if your game is in jeopardy or not
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Arbiter is No. 1 for me, but if it's public school, I would just check the news and see if the applicable county's schools are closed that day. Where I'm from, if there's no school, there's no after-school activities, which certainly includes athletics.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Arbiter is No. 1 for me, but if it's public school, I would just check the news and see if the applicable county's schools are closed that day. Where I'm from, if there's no school, there's no after-school activities, which certainly includes athletics.
You'll find out this weekend, LOL.

Here it's automatic cancellation if public schools shut down. Private schools may still play depending on travel conditions.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I have 2 different assigners. The first is an 'old school' guy and will make the call to you himself. Usually, just following local sportswriters on Twitter is faster, but I still appreciate the call.

The second goes through the Arbiter and has already assigned R, U1 & U2. The assigner calls the R and the R is responsible for notifying U1 & U2
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I was just notified that I have been unassigned from games today--it was 2 games-- a 9th grade girls then boys game--then I recv'd an email just a few mins ago fro my assignor telling me that "the school is closed due to snow day and games will be re-scheduled next week so keep my availability fluid".
Actually I am a bit miffed by this because I drove to work just fine today and this particular school pays by check on the spot instead of having to wait on snail mail for game fees.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I've only had 1 cancellation in volleyball-the Arbiter sent a notification and assignor (junior college conference) sent me a text message.I believe here at least in high school the originally scheduled crew if available gets first dibs on the reschedule.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Basically, all of this is decided by how your assigner runs his association and the district handles cancellations.

Personally, I always call schools before I head out to make sure the game is still on or there has been a change in time. If I arrive and it's been cancelled I'm getting paid for the game.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 12:48pm
High Five Master

And thanks a lot btw packersowner. Since you posted this I have had the last two nights canceled!!!!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Well, this storm is working out for me. The base is sending non-mission essential personnel home early today.

I was originally slated for a 7:30 HS game 75-90 minutes from my house, but now I have a 6:00 college game 20 minutes from home. And my college game 40 minutes from home for tomorrow afternoon has already been confirmed as a go.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
My association uses Arbiter, and Arbiter will show cancellations. We usually also get association-wide emails that games are cancelled and are reminded to check Arbiter before leaving for the game. Arbiter is our official notification.

My association's rule is that you get first chance at the game if it is rescheduled, even if you are blocked as unavailable (basically the rescheduled game is yours until you turn it back). If you are already scheduled for a game at the rescheduled time, then you would lose that game.
Same procedures for us. Starting this season we also get texts from Arbiter now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, this storm is working out for me. The base is sending non-mission essential personnel home early today.

I was originally slated for a 7:30 HS game 75-90 minutes from my house, but now I have a 6:00 college game 20 minutes from home. And my college game 40 minutes from home for tomorrow afternoon has already been confirmed as a go.
I hope it continues to "work out well for you." I've already had five cancellations and expect more early next week. I am not anticipating any games before next Thurs. We're expecting to get crushed up here.

To all those in the NE, be safe and good luck!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

I want to come watch you on the court, but my HS games were cancelled this weekend, so I headed out of town. Maybe some other time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk