The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player on court during time out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100665-player-court-during-time-out.html)

ltllng Mon Jan 11, 2016 04:22pm

Player on court during time out

What would you call or do?

Shooting foul is called near the end of the game on B1.

Coach for team A calls a time out and A1 goes out and practices free throws during the time out.

NFHS:
Rule 1-13-3

ART. 3 . . . The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle
formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an
imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area
meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.

Raymond Mon Jan 11, 2016 04:24pm

How did he get the ball?

BigT Mon Jan 11, 2016 04:24pm

Tell him that he needs to stay in the TO area with his team and good luck on the shots...

BigT Mon Jan 11, 2016 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 976221)
How did he get the ball?

Thats why I love your posts.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 11, 2016 08:41pm

Rule 2-7-4: The officials shall conduct the game according to the rules. This includes: ... Prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves.

It seems to me that a player technical foul for unsporting behavior is appropriate for violating this rule.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 11, 2016 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltllng (Post 976220)
What would you call or do?

Shooting foul is called near the end of the game on B1.

Coach for team A calls a time out and A1 goes out and practices free throws during the time out.

NFHS:
Rule 1-13-3

ART. 3 . . . The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle
formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an
imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area
meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.

Suspend the officiating crew for 4 games and no post season. :D

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 11, 2016 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 976238)
Rule 2-7-4: The officials shall conduct the game according to the rules. This includes: ... Prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves.

It seems to me that a player technical foul for unsporting behavior is appropriate for violating this rule.

So the rule book puts the responsibility on the officials to prohibit practice during a dead ball, but where does it say the players are forbidden and accountable for this? How do your justify this as "unsporting behavior"?

Camron Rust Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:29pm

Quote:

How did he get the ball?

Perhaps he picked it up from the spot.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 976241)
So the rule book puts the responsibility on the officials to prohibit practice during a dead ball, but where does it say the players are forbidden and accountable for this? How do your justify this as "unsporting behavior"?

By this language: "This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as..."

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 976255)
By this language: "This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as..."

So you think that walking out onto the court during a timeout to practice a free throw is an unsporting act?:rolleyes:

bob jenkins Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 976256)
So you think that walking out onto the court during a timeout to practice a free throw is an unsporting act?:rolleyes:

First tell him not to. Then if he continues it's unsporting.

JRutledge Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:48pm

Quote:

How did he get the ball?

This is why I do not give up the basketball. I hold onto it for reasons similar to this.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Jan 11, 2016 09:56pm

Quote:

Absolutely.

What would an NFL referee do if a FG kicker was out on the field practicing during a time-out with 2 seconds left just before his team was to attempt a FG? I don't see any way to not throw a flag and penalize 15 yards for unsporting conduct. There are certain things that players just can't do.

crosscountry55 Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:58pm

Quote:

He's certainly not afraid to break into jail, is he?

Most likely the player just doesn't know the rule and the coach doesn't either, or he's just oblivious. That's not unsporting. So I say, "hey, stop, you're not allowed to do that; go back to your bench." That's me "prohibiting" the act or conduct, not penalizing it.

Now if my direction is ignored, THAT's unsporting and I would not hesitate to penalize at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:14pm

Not being aware of the rule isn't an excuse.
Once he does the act, he is subject to being penalized.

If a team isn't aware that having a thrower remain out of bounds is illegal are you going to fail to penalize them?
What about if a team has screeners lock arms while setting a double screen?
Sorry, but it is the responsibility of the coach and team to know the playing rules.