The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Doubling the cost of the book?

I believe this might have been addressed before, but just checked with NFHS on ordering a 2015-2017 manual and learned for the $8.20 book it's going to cost another $8.35 to ship it. Really.

This isn't overseas or even to rural America. If they just said this minimal book cost $16.55 plus S/H it probably wouldn't seem as odd. I'll likely just order anyway, but it seems that's what they're counting on.

Any other good options? I'd prefer hard copy ... I think.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Had the same problem. A local chapter ordered in bulk, so S/H costs were divided up and became manageable.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Buy multiple books and I believe the cost will offset.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

OUr state includes a free Rule Book when you pay your annual registration fee. SInce I have gone to electronic formats as much as possible, and the Rules Book and Case Book are both now available for my iPad, I specifically requested an Officials Manual instead of a rule book, and my request was granted.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
OUr state includes a free Rule Book when you pay your annual registration fee. SInce I have gone to electronic formats as much as possible, and the Rules Book and Case Book are both now available for my iPad, I specifically requested an Officials Manual instead of a rule book, and my request was granted.
We get all 3 books through our membership with the VHSL, which gives us access to the NFHS site, which gives us access to the electronic copies also.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
I believe this might have been addressed before, but just checked with NFHS on ordering a 2015-2017 manual and learned for the $8.20 book it's going to cost another $8.35 to ship it. Really.

This isn't overseas or even to rural America. If they just said this minimal book cost $16.55 plus S/H it probably wouldn't seem as odd. I'll likely just order anyway, but it seems that's what they're counting on.

Any other good options? I'd prefer hard copy ... I think.
Actually, the "cost" of the book didn't change for the purchase...it remained $8.20. Now, shipping and handling turned out to be more than the cost of the book...bringing the total expense to $16.55.

Don't confuse "cost" and "expense"...they are different.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:30am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We get all 3 books through our membership with the VHSL, which gives us access to the NFHS site, which gives us access to the electronic copies also.

Same in Missouri, so at least we have that

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Actually, the "cost" of the book didn't change for the purchase...it remained $8.20. Now, shipping and handling turned out to be more than the cost of the book...bringing the total expense to $16.55.

Don't confuse "cost" and "expense"...they are different.
Man, I'm going to share this with my wife ... as proof that I'm not the only one of my species around! You got me at what is normally my own game. >thumbs-up<

(Though I could slip out of it by noting that I merely left the implied "acquiring" before "the book" out of the message title ... )