The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lead inbounding on sideline (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100630-lead-inbounding-sideline.html)

Amesman Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:56am

Lead inbounding on sideline

Really tired of getting conflicting advice from officials I respect, and now worried I'm passing along bad advice to subsequent partners.

In a two-official game, does L ever administer a throw-in along the sideline?

Situation pertains to ball OOB sideline below the FT line on lead's side. L whistles the play, of course. But does A) lead just bounce it a few feet up the sideline to get game restarted for the throw-in or B) should T come over to bounce it down the sideline to initiate throw-in?

I'm with B (when it's not a four-game rec-league morning). But yet again yesterday, I had a waaay veteran official tell me at hour hs game yesterday that lead "takes care of his line" and should administer.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:02am

Probably depends on local / state mechanics.

Here, L administers throw-ins below the FT line.

T moves over (and, so does L) if the throw-in is above the FT line.

JRutledge Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 975431)
Probably depends on local / state mechanics.

Here, L administers throw-ins below the FT line.

T moves over (and, so does L) if the throw-in is above the FT line.

That is not the proper high school mechanic but I have seen people do this. That is a college mechanic that I only use when working a college game.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 975432)
That is not the proper high school mechanic but I have seen people do this. That is a college mechanic that I only use when working a college game.

Peace

Amended: Here, the L bounces the ball if the throw-in is below the halfway point of the FT line and the end line. The L moves "up top" (to become the T on the same side; old-T moves down to become L) if the FT is above that point.

From the IHSA presentation:

If the designated spot for the throw-in is half-way between the free-throw line extended and the end line, the Lead remains on the end line and will bounce the ball to the thrower-in.

HokiePaul Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:53am

2.2.2.D.1 in the officials manual (looking at the 13-15 manual) regarding front court throw ins:

"The throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line. See Diagrams 2-8, 2-9, 2-10."

We follow the book in my area. So for a frontcourt throw in, you will either remain as lead and bounce the ball to the sideline thrower (if below FT line extended) or you will move to trail and your parter will shift down to lead (if the free throw is above the FT line as in Diagram 2-10). The Trail would only switch sides of the court to administer the throw-in if the ball was out of bounds for a backcourt throw in.

Raymond Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:54am

I thought we administered our own line in the FC in 2-man. If the ball goes OOB above the FT line, then the Lead would move up to Trail, and the old Trail slides down to the Lead.

This is what I advised the JV crew that worked in front of me last night.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 975443)
We were told at the Basketball Clinician meeting last April that the Trail makes all throw-ins on the sideline in the FC.

I will have to go back and look at my notes, but this was something specifically discussed and emphasized by HB and GG to make sure we did it this way.

Peace

Then they need to change the 2-person slides on the IHSA website.

JRutledge Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:56am

I am sorry, I have a brain fart, I am thinking only 3 person. Yeah it two person we can administer the ball as the lead.

I was just looking at what we discussed and this was a debate in 3 person at one point in the meeting.

Peace

SC Official Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 975446)
2.2.2.D.1 in the officials manual (looking at the 13-15 manual) regarding front court throw ins:

"The throw-in is administered by the official responsible for the boundary line. See Diagrams 2-8, 2-9, 2-10."

We follow the book in my area. So for a frontcourt throw in, you will either remain as lead and bounce the ball to the sideline thrower (if below FT line extended) or you will move to trail and your parter will shift down to lead (if the free throw is above the FT line as in Diagram 2-10). The Trail would only switch sides of the court to administer the throw-in if the ball was out of bounds for a backcourt throw in.

If you're following the book, this is not correct. T administers all sideline throw-ins in 2-man going by strict NFHS mechanics.

HokiePaul Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 975450)
If you're following the book, this is not correct. T administers all sideline throw-ins in 2-man going by strict NFHS mechanics.

Diagram 2-9 ... unless something changed in the most recent 2016 version of the officials manual.

Raymond Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:00pm

Per the NFHS Manual, 4.2.2D, official are to administer their boundary lines.

Per 4.2.2E, the Trail administers all BC throw-ins, to include crossing to the other side of the court if necessary.

zm1283 Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 975447)
I thought we administered our own line in the FC in 2-man. If the ball goes OOB above the FT line, then the Lead would move up to Trail, and the old Trail slides down to the Lead.

This is what I advised the JV crew that worked in front of me last night.

This is what we do. I thought this was what the manual says but I could be wrong.

Raymond Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 975453)
This is what we do. I thought this was what the manual says but I could be wrong.

Look up at the post before yours. ;)

bob jenkins Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 975452)
Per the NFHS Manual, 4.2.2D, official are to administer their boundary lines.

Per 4.2.2E, the Trail administers all BC throw-ins, to include crossing to the other side of the court if necessary.

Either this is a typo or not applicable to the OP which had the throw-in in the FC.

Raymond Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 975475)
Either this is a typo or not applicable to the OP which had the throw-in in the FC.

4.2.2D is in reference to FC throw-ins.

4.2.2E is in reference to BC throw-ins.