The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of Quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100612-end-quarter.html)

Rob1968 Tue Jan 05, 2016 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 975119)
Disclaimer: I would probably treat this as part of the 3rd quarter as well.

But, for the sake of argument, the slam dunk try probably ended about 0.1 seconds after the try was released (i.e. when the ball cleared the net). So unless the dunk took place with 0.1 or less on the clock, time probably expired after the try was over (even of the shooter was still hanging up there). That negates the Article 6 exception for the airborne shooter, no? Time expired after, not while the try or tap for field goal was in flight.

I think the EXCEPTION portion of the ruling is that because the airborne shooter still has not returned to the floor, the quarter has not ended. Granted, he has not returned to the floor because he is hanging on the rim/doing a chin-up, thus the exceptional activity that extends the quarter constitutes a punishable offense.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 05, 2016 05:05am

Quote:

But, for the sake of argument, the slam dunk try probably ended about 0.1 seconds after the try was released (i.e. when the ball cleared the net). So unless the dunk took place with 0.1 or less on the clock, time probably expired after the try was over (even of the shooter was still hanging up there). That negates the Article 6 exception for the airborne shooter, no? Time expired after, not while the try or tap for field goal was in flight.

SECTION 7 DEAD BALL The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART.6 . . . Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception a below).
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the tap or try ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap fora field goal is in flight.

Raymond Tue Jan 05, 2016 08:23am

Quote:

Why would that negate the exception? That IS the exception.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 05, 2016 08:31am

Crosscountry's point is that since time did not expire "while the try was in flight" the exception does not apply (by a literal reading of the rule)

crosscountry55 Tue Jan 05, 2016 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 975203)
Crosscountry's point is that since time did not expire "while the try was in flight" the exception does not apply (by a literal reading of the rule)

Correct. Again, for the sake of argument.

In reality, if it takes longer to explain the rule then the intermission itself, I'm not going there. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 05, 2016 09:58am

The rule says OR ... not AND.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 975214)
The rule says OR ... not AND.

correct. But the "when" part still didn't happen.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 975218)
correct. But the "when" part still didn't happen.

I respectfully disagree. The tap or try ended once dunked ball had passed through the hoop.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 975235)
I respectfully disagree. The tap or try ended once dunked ball had passed through the hoop.

ART.6 . . . Time expires for a quarter or extra period (see exception a below).
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the tap or try ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap fora field goal is in flight.

The "WHEN" part, in this case, would be...

When (Time expires for a quarter or extra period) occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.

I agree with Bob. Time did not expire for a quarter while the try was in flight... it expired immediately after the try ended (as you stated, actually).