The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach interaction w table (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100593-coach-interaction-w-table.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:47pm

Coach interaction w table

Happy new year all,
Scenario from a game I worked yesterday I'd like some input on:
Coach W is seatbelted due to a previous technical foul earlier in the game.With approximately 20 seconds to go a loose ball foul is called against W and the clock is stopped.Coach W goes absolutely ballistic claiming that there should be additional time on the clock.The officials confer and then ask the clock operator if he stopped it on time.He says yes-the officials take him at his word since there was no definitive evidence of a clock error.Coach W yells at the clock operator and officials saying "Come on guys there's gotta be more time on that clock." and stuff relating to the clock for about 15 more seconds.Does he earn T number 2 and thus an ejection from any of you all for yelling at your table crew?

JRutledge Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50pm

He might, depending on how he is complaining. Whether the had the seat belt means nothing to me honestly. It is purely situational.

Peace

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:22pm

JRut-He's basically yelling at near the top of his lungs at the guys on the floor and the scorers table about the clock but nothing obscene was said.I've done this for 10 years and never seen a coach act that way towards a table.

JRutledge Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 974824)
JRut-He's basically yelling at near the top of his lungs at the guys on the floor and the scorers table about the clock but nothing obscene was said.I've done this for 10 years and never seen a coach act that way towards a table.

I said it is situational? If he had a legitimate beef, I would understand him being upset. And based on how demonstrative he was, that would also matter. Are we in a gym with thousands of people, or a less than 20? All of that matters to me. And it also matters what he got the first T for.

Peace

crosscountry55 Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:38pm

Quote:

Based on that description, if I'm NOT the official who issued the first T, I'd probably send him to the locker room 20 seconds early. Once we politely spoke with the table and reached a decision....it's definitely unsporting of him to continue screaming, especially at the table. They're part of my crew and I'll have their back.

Out of curiosity, how close was the game with 20 seconds left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32am

First, I would inquire if the coach wanted to request a time-out to have the officials investigate whether there was a timing error.
If not, we don't even discuss the matter.
Secondly, if the coach acts in an unsporting manner towards the table crew, he will earn a technical foul and in this case be dismissed.
I don't care what other people would do. I know what I won't allow.

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:50am

Ok to try and fill in some missing info:

-Both Coaches by this point have been T'd and seatbelted for arguing with the officials.T#1 to the coach in question was for arguing a hand checking call in the 3rd quarter.

-In the 3rd place game the host school's coach also received a T from the same crew for arguing an over the back call .

-This was a fairly large public school gym at approximately 25% capacity (best guess).

-Ended up being a 1 pt game which the team I work for won (this was the tournament title game)

Nevadaref Fri Jan 01, 2016 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 974830)
Ok to try and fill in some missing info:

-Both Coaches by this point have been T'd and seatbelted for arguing with the officials.T#1 to the coach in question was for arguing a hand checking call in the 3rd quarter.

-In the 3rd place game the host school's coach also received a T from the same crew for arguing an over the back call .

-This was a fairly large public school gym at approximately 25% capacity (best guess).

-Ended up being a 1 pt game which the team I work for won (this was the tournament title game)

None of that is relevant.

just another ref Fri Jan 01, 2016 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 974825)
Are we in a gym with thousands of people, or a less than 20?

What does this have to do with it?

Raymond Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:22am

Quote:

You asked a question and Jeff gave you an answer. Do you want our opinions or do you want us to say yes he will automatically have received a technical foul?

Whether or not he was seat belted would not matter. His actions and words would matter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:45am

First of all cross country asked how close the game was with 20 seconds to go.Someone else also asked what the coach did to receive the 1st tech.I filled in those gaps and appreciate the opinions of everyone here.

JRutledge Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 974832)
What does this have to do with it?

Because how much I hear the coach matters. I might not even hear the coach in a packed gym. Yes that matters to me if he is complaining about a table issue. For example, I might not hear his complaining at all in a big gym.

Peace

BrentD2222 Mon Jan 04, 2016 01:14am

He he already earned his 1st tech and he stood up to question anything (even if he was correct) can earn him his 2nd IMHO.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 04, 2016 02:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentD2222 (Post 975058)
He he already earned his 1st tech and he stood up to question anything (even if he was correct) can earn him his 2nd IMHO.

You posted in another thread that you are new official.
So take some advice and please go read 10-5-1c and 5-8-4 before you automatically penalize a coach for standing up.