The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

First Varsity Game Story

So, Today I reffed my first Varsity game. I've been reffing for a little under 6 months. Being mentored by some veteran refs locally. Cool part to the story I haven't even reffed a Freshman or JV regulation game. I have been getting noticed around town doing some middle school games and scrimmages. Kicker- I have never done 3-Man until TONIGHT. It was the championship game of a little low key holiday tournament. Needless to say I did well under the circumstances. Learning on the go with little instruction. Cool story right?? I figured I would share with the forum because I follow behind the scenes and a lot of the threads have helped me a ton.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
So, Today I reffed my first Varsity game. I've been reffing for a little under 6 months. Being mentored by some veteran refs locally. Cool part to the story I haven't even reffed a Freshman or JV regulation game. I have been getting noticed around town doing some middle school games and scrimmages. Kicker- I have never done 3-Man until TONIGHT. It was the championship game of a little low key holiday tournament. Needless to say I did well under the circumstances. Learning on the go with little instruction. Cool story right?? I figured I would share with the forum because I follow behind the scenes and a lot of the threads have helped me a ton.
Awesome man!! You gotta tell us what happened in the game!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Well, I've been studying rotations A LOT before I even hit the court. I asked the other officials what they thought and they said I only missed one rotation. Coaches- Man, at the varsity level I feel they just talk to hear themselves. First interaction was- *Girl uses her body to push a girl towards out of bounds* I get the foul goto report, report. Coach calls me over and says 'Did she push her with her body?' I just look at him dumbfounded and say 'Yeah' and he says 'Ok' and walks away. I had a few similar plays like that. Honestly it was a smooth game. I was caught out of position a few times but not noticeable by anyone but me and my partners. Dummy move of the whole thing was on the jump ball I was supposed to be table side chopping the clock... Well I was opposite block just standing there. My only criticism from the other guys- Have more confidence with my out of bounds calls ( More firm mechanics and looking sure) and body language. They said at times I looked slouched and not standing tall. Game was tied at half and ended up being a 10 point game in the end. Mayyybbbeee 50 people in the stands so not much pressure there.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

edit: I don't mean that at harsh as it might be taken. Only that the game has a way of humbling us.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:25am
AremRed

Quote:
Well, I've been studying rotations A LOT before I even hit the court. I asked the other officials what they thought and they said I only missed one rotation. Coaches- Man, at the varsity level I feel they just talk to hear themselves. First interaction was- *Girl uses her body to push a girl towards out of bounds* I get the foul goto report, report. Coach calls me over and says 'Did she push her with her body?' I just look at him dumbfounded and say 'Yeah' and he says 'Ok' and walks away. I had a few similar plays like that. Honestly it was a smooth game. I was caught out of position a few times but not noticeable by anyone but me and my partners. Dummy move of the whole thing was on the jump ball I was supposed to be table side chopping the clock... Well I was opposite block just standing there. My only criticism from the other guys- Have more confidence with my out of bounds calls ( More firm mechanics and looking sure) and body language. They said at times I looked slouched and not standing tall. Game was tied at half and ended up being a 10 point game in the end. Mayyybbbeee 50 people in the stands so not much pressure there.
Great! Just remember most coaches just want to be heard, or have the play explained to them as they may have seen it. Try not to use that "dumbfounded look" too often, there will be coaches who will get pissed about that.

The key when transitioning from 2 to 3 person and not missing rotations is to remember to look off-ball as Trail when the ball get further away from you. When you turn your head and look off-ball you will be able to see whether the Lead is going across or not. Typically Lead will not miss a rotation, and C has a good look at the Lead coming over or not.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:26am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

edit: I don't mean that at harsh as it might be taken. Only that the game has a way of humbling us.
I took his post as "thank God I survived without screwing anything up!"
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

That is exactly right! I mean I am kind of happy but it was a WAY low key, no pressure, and I made it out alive for now.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Oh best part of the story... So, I'm getting dressed... All of a sudden my partner goes.. 'Where the f*ck is your patch?!?' I wore my ONLY shirt without patch!!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Coach calls me over and says 'Did she push her with her body?' I just look at him dumbfounded and say 'Yeah' and he says 'Ok' and walks away.
"No, coach. She teleported her."
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Congrats. In 20 years or so you'll have a story like this one. Or maybe not:

I had moved to a new state over 20 years ago and put in a year working lower level ball. I was still a young guy (in my mid 20s) and was happy to work anything and prove I could handle varsity ball. I was in my 7th year or so, but I had moved 3 times in those 7 years and it was always a case of starting over at the bottom of an association.

Then I got a phone call on my answering machine -- would I be willing to work a holiday tournament game? These were 3-person (which was unheard of at the HS level there then) and the third spot was reserved for up-and-comers like me.

The part I didn't tell the assigner was that I was over 600 miles away visiting my parents -- I was a grad student and was planning on spending the holiday with them.

I called the assigner, accepted the game, and drove back to my apartment the next morning. Worked the game. The R on the game was a crusty old veteran who was a good official who had the worst temper I ever saw. After the game someone yelled something at him and I had to physically keep him from going into the stands.

The game was December 29, 1995. I didn't know it at the time, but I had worked my last subvarsity game there. When the new schedule came out in early January, I had only varsity games from that point forward. I worked one more season there before moving to take my first job.

On December 30 I met my (now) wife for the first time. In October, we'll be married 20 years. It all started with that first assignment.

(I had already worked some varsity games prior to this one, but they were last minute fill-in things and I remember absolutely nothing about those games.)
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 01:30am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
So, Today I reffed my first Varsity game.
Pretty cool feeling, huh? I had my first one near the end of last season. one partner made a wrong turn and arrived later than expected, so our pre-game was minimal. However, the game itself went rather smoothly and worked out well for a first varsity game experience.

My only real mistake was administering a free throw from the opposite lane line instead of the tableside one. I immediately realized this during the first free throw and moved over for the second one.

Post-game, my partners were impressed when I said this was my first varsity game. What's the saying, "Act like you belong there"?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Good for you. Be proud of your accomplishments. It's where confidence comes from.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

That is great man! I wish you continued success.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I must say everyone is great. I've posted to other forums where people are *******s and I expected a few funny remarks and got none. Even had someone inbox me congratulations! Thanks everyone! FYI, there was another assignor in the stands that day who hit me up and put me on another varsity game.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 12:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To The Jungle (Guns N' Roses, 1987) ...

Quote:
I must say everyone is great. I've posted to other forums where people are *******s
After only sixteen posts, you haven't been properly introduced to everybody. Wait for it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)