The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video resources for rookie (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100553-video-resources-rookie.html)

The R Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:26pm

Video resources for rookie

I'm looking for some reliable video examples to help a young HS official in our association.

Specifically we are looking for block / charge examples.

The Fed used to have dartfish account but I can't seem to be active anymore. Dartfish.tv channels

I've found a few decent examples on youtube but what he needs is the explanation to support the call.

JRutledge Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:44pm

They stopped using Dartfish over 10 years ago.

Honestly, YouTube is a much better resource and if you get a downloader then you can use the videos for further review or editing.

Peace

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973961)
They stopped using Dartfish over 10 years ago.

Honestly, YouTube is a much better resource and if you get a downloader then you can use the videos for further review or editing.

Peace

Youtube can be a good resource. It's harder for rookie officials because they aren't as good at deciphering horribly interpreted rules from sound advice. Youtube has a lot of good/bad stuff.

Freddy Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57pm

Here's some video resources on block/charge:

FIBA Video - Dated, but stilll good; essentially same as NFHS though terminology a little different

Get More Block/Charge Calls Right

Block/Charge Video Clips

JRutledge Thu Dec 24, 2015 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973963)
Youtube can be a good resource. It's harder for rookie officials because they aren't as good at deciphering horribly interpreted rules from sound advice. Youtube has a lot of good/bad stuff.

You do not need the videos for rules, you need the videos for plays and situations. Most videos never reference any specific rule. There are some really good YouTube sites that only reference officiating situations as well that are more than just showing a play. And some of the people that produce that stuff are on this site. I have not dedicated my site to just officiating, but I have plays that just show the situation, I do not comment on what the rule should be on the site.

The rulebook is for rules and rookies are mostly intelligent to know this fact. But then again that is from my experience, your experience is obviously different. ;)

Peace

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973971)
You do not need the videos for rules, you need the videos for plays and situations. Most videos never reference any specific rule. There are some really good YouTube sites that only reference officiating situations as well that are more than just showing a play. And some of the people that produce that stuff are on this site. I have not dedicated my site to just officiating, but I have plays that just show the situation, I do not comment on what the rule should be on the site.

The rulebook is for rules and rookies are mostly intelligent to know this fact. But then again that is from my experience, your experience is obviously different. ;)

Peace

If you have/know some good channels would you mind posting them or PMing me?

Would be greatly appreciated, Mr.R. ;)

JRutledge Thu Dec 24, 2015 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973979)
If you have/know some good channels would you mind posting them or PMing me?

Would be greatly appreciated, Mr.R. ;)

Just do a search for basketball officiating, things will come up. ;)

Peace

referee99 Thu Dec 24, 2015 08:04pm

Here's a few...

Training videos we like

AremRed Fri Dec 25, 2015 03:32am

Join Court Club and get access to their video releases. Or do as I do and get video from your own games, clip plays, and build you own video library. I have hundreds of clips from my own games.

crosscountry55 Fri Dec 25, 2015 09:57am

Video resources for rookie

I can't decide whose instructional videos are more boring: FIBA's or IAABO's.

How about those awesome 2-person crews as recently as 2004!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:39am

The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 974072)
How about those awesome 2-person crews as recently as 2004!

How about those awesome 2-person crews in Connecticut as recently as 2015-16.

(Image deleted. If you wish to see it, consult the other thousand times Billy posted it. Thank you.)

Rich Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 974079)
How about those awesome 2-person crews in Connecticut as recently as 2015-16.

Can't you stop posting the same images again and again and again and again?

BillyMac Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:53am

Can't Use The Belt Highway Sign Photo Anymore ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 974081)
Can't you stop posting the same images again and again and again and again?

Oldie but goodie.

BillyMac Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:55am

Better ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 974079)
(Image deleted. If you wish to see it, consult the other thousand times Billy posted it. Thank you.)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1171/3...26aa3009_m.jpg

bob jenkins Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 974083)
Oldie but goodie.

1/2 right.

Hint: It's not the second half.