The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre-Game Captains Meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100541-pre-game-captains-meeting.html)

packersowner Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:16pm

Pre-Game Captains Meeting

I am looking for some input on what others say during their pre-game captains meeting. The general flow of our conversations go like this:

R: Coach A, Do you have an administrator?
Coach A: Yes

R: Coach B, Do you have an administrator?
Coach B: Yes

R: (to both coaches) Are your players legally equipped and will demonstrate good sportsmanship?

Coach A and B: (faintly) yes

R: Who are my speaking captains?
A : 32 B: 10

R: White take care of white, blue take care of blue

R: Good luck....

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with how this goes, but its become so repetitive with players and coaches, that I think most of them aren't paying any attention. The other night, I said "Coaches, my partners are not going to make any mistakes, but I will, come to us if you have questions." Just trying to see if they were awake....got nothing.

Rich Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:20pm

My captains meeting lasts an average of 11 seconds.

Raymond Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:38pm

We have a Captains' meeting that is separate from meeting with the coaches.

Captains' meeting: you know who your hotheads are, take care of them so we don't have to. Do not knock free throw shooters off the free throw line, that is not boxing out, it's a foul.

Coaches' meeting: My first name and/or good luck.

just another ref Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:48pm

"I have nothing to say that you haven't heard before, and if you weren't listening then, you're probably not listening now. I don't ask for a speaking captain, because we will respond to any player who comes to us in a respectful manner. Good luck."

That's to the captains.

I do like to ask the coaches: "Any special issue with any player that we need to know about? Asthma, seizures, or an injury that might possibly come into play?" About one game out of three one of the coaches will say, "Lack of talent."

OKREF Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:53pm

R--Coaches, are all players properly equipped?

R--Be ready to play on second horn after timeouts.

R--Play with good sportsmanship. Good luck.

That's it. Maybe 30 seconds.

BatteryPowered Mon Dec 21, 2015 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973620)
We have a Captains' meeting that is separate from meeting with the coaches.

Captains' meeting: you know who your hotheads are, take care of them so we don't have to. Do not knock free throw shooters off the free throw line, that is not boxing out, it's a foul.

Coaches' meeting: My first name and/or good luck.

This with the couple of changes:

With captains replace "hotheads" with "knuckleheads".

With coaches rather than say "good luck" I say "Have a good game".

Had a veteran official tell me when I was just getting started he used to say good luck...until a coach smiled and ask "Am I going to need luck with you in the game?" He said it was obviously an attempt at humor but it got him thinking.

Raymond Mon Dec 21, 2015 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 973624)
This with the couple of changes:

With captains replace "hotheads" with "knuckleheads".

With coaches rather than say "good luck" I say "Have a good game".

Had a veteran official tell me when I was just getting started he used to say good luck...until a coach smiled and ask "Am I going to need luck with you in the game?" He said it was obviously an attempt at humor but it got him thinking.

I actually do use "knuckleheads" about half the time.

bainsey Mon Dec 21, 2015 03:12pm

Coaches/captains meeting, after all handshakes, by the R:

*"I'm Mr./Ms. (name), this is Mr./Ms. (name)."
*"Coaches, are everyone properly and legally equipped?"
*"Can I expect good sporting behavior from everyone here today?"
(Usually, I follow this with, "Okay, that was slightly enthusiastic.")

The rest is my personal touch:
*"(Visitors), it's pretty clear what's out of bounds here. Keep your shirts tucked in, listen to your coaches, and question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it. Let's have fun!"

Raymond Mon Dec 21, 2015 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 973630)
Coaches/captains meeting, after all handshakes, by the R:

*"Coaches, are everyone properly and legally equipped?"

Do any English teachers smack you when you ask this?

ILRef80 Mon Dec 21, 2015 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 973618)

Definitely *NOT* this.

Tell the coaches that we're playing on the 2nd horn. Tell players that as captains, they are expected to show good sportsmanship.

My captains meeting may last 10 seconds.

Adam Mon Dec 21, 2015 04:08pm

Separate meetings here.

Captains:
"Take care of your knuckleheads so we don't have to. Have a good game."

Coaches:
Something about sportsmanship. Something about having the kids ready to play by the 2nd horn. With them luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 973624)
He said it was obviously an attempt at humor but it got him thinking.

I think we sometimes overthink crap.

Dad Mon Dec 21, 2015 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 973637)
Definitely *NOT* this.

Tell the coaches that we're playing on the 2nd horn. Tell players that as captains, they are expected to show good sportsmanship.

My captain's meeting may last 10 seconds.

8-9 of the seconds is fumbling around shaking hands

wyo96 Mon Dec 21, 2015 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973620)
We have a Captains' meeting that is separate from meeting with the coaches..

We used to do 2, but the new officials manual now only lays out the procedure for 1meeting at the 10 minute mark with captains and coaches.

Has everybody switched?

States interps may vary, but we have switched to just one meeting, short and sweet...

BillyMac Mon Dec 21, 2015 05:29pm

From My Hard Drive ...

PREGAME SPORTSMANSHIP STATEMENTS

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)

BillyMac's: Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.

BillyMac Mon Dec 21, 2015 05:30pm

When In Rome ...

Quote:

No. No. No. But check your local listings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 973621)
I don't ask for a speaking captain, because we will respond to any player who comes to us in a respectful manner.

Yes, Yes. Yes.

BillyMac Mon Dec 21, 2015 05:34pm

Girls Just Want to Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper, 1983) ...

Quote:

R: Good luck.

Not me, it's always "Have fun".

Rich Mon Dec 21, 2015 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo96 (Post 973646)
We used to do 2, but the new officials manual now only lays out the procedure for 1meeting at the 10 minute mark with captains and coaches.

Has everybody switched?

States interps may vary, but we have switched to just one meeting, short and sweet...

We greet the coaches at 1:30. It's a "walk by" and the R asks the head coach if his players are legally attired.

No reason to combine the meetings.

BlueDevilRef Mon Dec 21, 2015 06:55pm

In Missouri, head coaches required to be at captains meeting. I prefer to just address the small coaches stuff then.

I wish I had a cool signature

bob jenkins Mon Dec 21, 2015 07:50pm

Tonight I said, "The IHSA requires that I mention sportsmanship. More importantly, Santa is coming this week and you don't want to be on the wrong list."

BlueDevilRef Mon Dec 21, 2015 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 973660)
Tonight I said, "The IHSA requires that I mention sportsmanship. More importantly, Santa is coming this week and you don't want to be on the wrong list."

Ha!! I've been saying that all month, or at least something about Santa is watching so be good sports.

Eastshire Mon Dec 21, 2015 09:09pm

First and foremost, have fun tonight.
Respect the game.
Respect your opponents.
Respect us as your referees.
If you have any questions during the game feel free to ask and we will give you a quick answer and then we'll move on.
Any questions now?
Good luck. Have fun.

SE Minnestoa Re Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:00am

Quick introductions with Mr._______ being our names

Tell captains that they may respectfully ask questions during the game

Tell captains they are in charge of their team on the floor and that I would appreciate if they would take care of any issues. If I have to take care of them, we shoot free throws.

Verify with the coaches that the teams are legally equipped

deecee Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:29am

My captain's meeting goes like this.

"We expect good sportsmanship. Any questions?"

With coaches its a "hi" and "good luck"

NY state forces pregame sportsmanship meeting with both teams at half court. Waste of time and it doesn't really change anything.

Rich Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41am

It would be a cold day in hell before I'd introduce myself as "Mr." anything.

I've had partners do that....I usually jump in and say, "I'm Rich."

Of course I also call all coaches by their first names, as well.

BlueDevilRef Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51am

If my partner says "hi I'm rich" I always interject with "I'm poor. That's why I'm here calling this game instead of at home watching Simpsons reruns"

bainsey Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973631)
Do any English teachers smack you when you ask this?

Fellow grammarian, I've debated with others whether indefinite pronouns (everyone/no-one) are singular or plural. Some say both. Upon looking at what I typed, I don't like it, either. I'm sticking with singular.

bainsey Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973697)

You might be inadvertantly undermining your partners by doing this. I can see this if you're officiating your peers, but high school kids? Just like teachers and administrators, there's a level of respect that comes with the officiating position.

Rich Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 973711)
You might be inadvertantly undermining your partners by doing this. I can see this if you're officiating your peers, but high school kids? Just like teachers and administrators, there's a level of respect that comes with the officiating position.

Well, I was kidding, mainly.

Actually, we don't do the whole, "Hi, this is....." thing. If someone does that at a captain's meeting, I don't hear it, cause usually when we're not the R, we leave the meeting after the introductions and go back to our pregame spots.

I introduce myself to the captains as I'm shaking their hands, one at a time. I'm still Rich, though.

I'm wearing stripes and I'm 30 years older than the players. If that's not enough to get some level of respect, forcing them to call me "Mr. LastName" isn't going to do it.

crosscountry55 Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55pm

I know I've said this before and I'll say it again. I wish I didn't have to do any meetings. That said, if you have to meet with the Captains, make the most of it by:

1. Recognizing that their attention span will be 30 seconds at best. They want to get back to warming up. So keep it brief.

2. Quick blurb about new rules or POEs (in Nov/Dec only; drop it after the New Year).

3. Make a quick quip, or do something else that's probably out of the ordinary to make them smile. The Santa bit mentioned above was great. I've seen other examples. Bottom line is if they see you as an enjoyable adult to be on the court with instead of some strict authority figure, paradoxically you're less likely to be resisted and thus you'll be treated with more respect. Get the players on your side. Your game will be better.

Raymond Tue Dec 22, 2015 01:30pm

Quote:

Why do you have to jump in like it's a contest? Just say "I'm Rich" when they get to you without thinking you're better than you partner for using your first name.

I don't know coaches names. From me, kids get "Mr. A-hole", coaches get "Imma".

Rich Tue Dec 22, 2015 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973718)
Why do you have to jump in like it's a contest? Just say "I'm Rich" without thinking you're better than you partner for using your first name.

I don't know coaches names. Kids get "Mr. A-hole", coaches get "Imma".

I was joking. I mentioned that in a subsequent post. We introduce ourselves as we're shaking hands.

Mregor Tue Dec 22, 2015 09:16pm

Quote:

that I think most of them aren't paying any attention.

That because they aren't. Doesn't matter what you say because they aren't listening. They just want to play ball.

I introduce myself and P and ask if they have any questions. Ask P is he has anything. He says, "Have Fun". The End. No more than 10-15 secs.

bas2456 Tue Dec 22, 2015 09:54pm

My pregame lasts 60 seconds tops, including the awkward handshakes, and gets shorter as the season goes on.

"Coaches, is everyone legally equipped and are you aware of the concussion/injury protocols?" (If we've seen any uniform issues that haven't been rectified before the meeting, particularly in girls games, I'll mention them here).

*If coaches boxes are not marked* "Coach's boxes are not marked on this floor, please be mindful of where you are"

"Coaches please let us know right away which kind of timeout you want, we'll take our time getting you into the timeout, please have them ready to play on the second horn."

"Players, sportsmanship, as always, is important, and help us with any loose balls that go rolling."

I ask if my partner has anything (usually not).

"Have fun, good luck".

If I'm the R, I usually check the book at 11:00, sign the book once I approve, then call my partner over for the captains. I'm unaware of any requirements as for when the meeting should happen in my state (maybe fellow Illinois officials can clarify that for me). Assuming there's no prescribed guideline, I'd rather get it out of the way as soon as possible so the players and coaches can get back to their pregame routine. I'd also rather grab teams before they all leave the floor for a final pregame meeting, as some teams do.

I don't ask for speaking captains. I won't remember who they are 10 seconds after we've broken the meeting. As others have said, I answer pretty much any respectful question from a player.

Refhoop Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06pm

To everyone: Our job is to keep the players safe, make sure the game is fair and ensure good sportsmanship by everyone.
To players: Speaking captains? Respect the game!
To Coaches: players properly equipped?
We play on second the horn.
To everyone: Have fun and lets play hoops!
Takes about 30 seconds.

SC Official Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:26pm

This year SC is not allowing the waistband on shorts to be rolled, so we've been reminding players in our pregame meetings. We still have to remind a couple times during the game.

AremRed Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08am

Coaches meeting: "Nice to meet you, I'm <name>. Good luck!"

Captains meeting: "Look, we know things are gonna happen in the game -- let's keep our composure and we'll get through it. We are a part of the game just like you are. You keep it clean, we'll keep it fair. Good luck!"

constable Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:05am

This year in Ontario we have been forced to to drag the Coaches to the Captain's meeting.

In the past my Captains meeting would be introduce the crew and " any questions? Good luck, have fun"

Now, since the Coaches are there it is " Everyone is legally equipped and will display good Sportsmanship???? Good luck, have fun"

This year my meeting has increased from 12 seconds to 16. It is the biggest waste of time. The Captains don't listen. The Coaches don't want to be there anymore than I want to force them to be there. There is never anything worthwhile to discuss. It's not a rules clinic.

FIBA is on to something. No Captains meetings.

constable Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973653)
We greet the coaches at 1:30. It's a "walk by" and the R asks the head coach if his players are legally attired.

No reason to combine the meetings.

This was a much better system. IAABO and their "infinite wisdom" eff'd it up for everyone.

constable Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:11am

I've added some commentary to streamline your meeting.

Quote:

I am looking for some input on what others say during their pre-game captains meeting. The general flow of our conversations go like this:

R: Coach A, Do you have an administrator?
Coach A: Yes

R: Coach B, Do you have an administrator?
Coach B: Yes

Completely irrelevant in this setting, IMHO.

R: (to both coaches) Are your players legally equipped and will demonstrate good sportsmanship?

- Required, by rule. So I guess you should keep it in.
Coach A and B: (faintly) yes

-
Don't do this. Treat the players like adults. If a player comes up to me, and asks me an appropriate question at the appropriate time in the appropriate tone and said at the appropriate volume, they'll get the appropriate answer regardless of whether or not they are a Captain.

R: White take care of white, blue take care of blue

R: Good luck....

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with how this goes, but its become so repetitive with players and coaches, that I think most of them aren't paying any attention. The other night, I said "Coaches, my partners are not going to make any mistakes, but I will, come to us if you have questions." Just trying to see if they were awake....got nothing.

BillyMac Wed Dec 23, 2015 07:17am

Check Your Local Listings ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refhoop (Post 973763)
To players: Speaking captains?

What's your number? Are you starting?

(How does this blue font thing work?)

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:16am

I simply ask "who's in charge" and two captains lift up the warmup.

I (usually) immediately forget the numbers. I do it for a number of reasons, though:

(1) I want to make sure that (especially on a neutral floor game) that one team is wearing white and one is wearing something else. We've had a history here of teams coming to tournaments and the post-season wearing white to find out the other team was wearing white.

(2) Especially for the visiting team -- I want to see the color of the jersey so I can check to make sure any colored headbands are legal. We had a team with blue headbands on earlier this season and at the captain's meeting I learned they were wearing gray uniform tops.

Takes me just 2-3 seconds of my 11 second pregame.

I used to do the old-timey thing of notifying the captains I was about to toss, but I discarded that. I also discarded asking both coaches and the table if they were ready when I'm the U1. If the clock's reset, they're ready. The coaches had better be ready.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:20pm

Quote:

I do not want any high school kid calling my by my first name. Maybe it is a cultural thing (and it is) but they are not allowed to call me by my first name as I do did not call adults at that age by my first name.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:26pm

1. Are your players properly equip? (To coaches)

2. We have well marked coaches boxes, so please stay in them during the contest (To coaches).

3. Who is my speaking captain? (To players)

4. This is an IHSA contest played under National Federation Rules, we are going to adhere to sportsmanship.

I usual add and they pay attention: If we are talking to you, listen. If we stop talking to you, we will put air in the whistle, so listen.

5: Do you have anything to add (To partners).

6: Have fun...

Then we break.

Usually takes 30 seconds total when I start talking after introductions.

Peace

UNIgiantslayers Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973805)

Usually takes 30 minutes total when I start talking after introductions.

Peace

You must be related to my dad.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 973806)
You must be related to my dad.

Too busy watching HGTV with a certain person and hearing all this stuff about time. ;)

Peace

AremRed Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:35pm

No one in my state realizes speaking captains isn't a thing anymore. Even if I'm the R my partners will either tell me who they discovered is the speaking captain or if I don't ask during the meeting they will interject and ask anyway. Drives me nuts.

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973803)
I do not want any high school kid calling my by my first name. Maybe it is a cultural thing (and it is) but they are not allowed to call me by my first name as I do did not call adults at that age by my first name.

Peace

That's your right. But I also have the right to let people call me whatever I want.

AremRed Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:48pm

Quote:

So you don't let kids do it now because you couldn't do it when you were their age? Makes sense.

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 973816)
So you don't let kids do it now because you couldn't do it when you were their age? Makes sense.

I don't let kids call me by my first name either. And I don't let my minor children call adults by their first names. Is there a problem with that?

Eastshire Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973817)
I don't let kids call me by my first name either. And I don't let my minor children call adults by their first names. Is there a problem with that?

There's no problem with it. However, it is no longer the cultural norm.

AremRed Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:53pm

Quote:

Don't have a problem with you teaching your kids that. Not sure how you can expect/require other people's kids to not call you by your first name though. How exactly do you "not let kids call me by my first name" on the court?

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 01:54pm

Quote:

Nope. As long as there's nothing wrong with me doing what I wish. To all my 10-year-old's friends, I'm Rich. To the 10U softball team I coach, I'm "Coach Rich".

You're not wrong and I'm not wrong. We're just different. On the court, you'd be Mr. BNR and I'd be Rich.

I've never believed in such formality and I think respect goes much deeper than what one calls another.

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973820)
Nope. As long as there's nothing wrong with me doing what I wish. To all my 10-year-old's friends, I'm Rich. To the 10U softball team I coach, I'm "Coach Rich".

You're not wrong and I'm not wrong. We're just different. On the court, you'd be Mr. BNR and I'd be Rich.

I've never believed in such formality and I think respect goes much deeper than what one calls another.

I never comment when someone says they get called by their first name, I couldn't care less. All the snarky remarks come when someone says they give their name as "Mr. ABCD".

Respect also comes in the form of not ridiculing someone's personal preferences.

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973821)
I never comment when someone says they get called by their first name, I couldn't care less. All the snarky remarks come when someone says they give their name as "Mr. ABCD".

I do find it weird, which is probably why I joke about it. I'll stop here, though.

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 973819)
Don't have a problem with you teaching your kids that. Not sure how you can expect/require other people's kids to not call you by your first name though. How exactly do you "not let kids call me by my first name" on the court?

1) HTF would a kid know my first name on the court?

2) If they did call me by my first name, I would say that's "Mr. ####" to you.

When I go to my kid's school, I don't call his teachers and principals Steve or Johnny, or Whitney. I address them as Mr. or Ms. Such-and-such. If we run into each other at a bar or the mall or where ever outside of a professional environment, then first names are expected.

It's really not that difficult.

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 973818)

You don't live in Virginia. People still call each other Sir and Ma'am on a regular basis if they are not personal acquaintances. And everywhere I travel in the South I make to sure to especially address older blacks by Sir or Ma'am in deference to all those years they were addressed disrespectfully as a matter of cultural norms.

UNIgiantslayers Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:23pm

Yikes.

Eastshire Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973826)
You don't live in Virginia. People still call each other Sir and Ma'am on a regular basis if they are not personal acquaintances. And everywhere I travel in the South I make to sure to especially address older blacks by Sir or Ma'am in deference to all those years they were addressed disrespectfully as a matter of cultural norms.

That escalated quickly.

scrounge Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:57pm

I don't even know we still have captain's meeting, to be honest. Don't do it in other sports like baseball. And I especially don't know why some (a decreasing number but still a sizable minority) of my partners still insist on asking who the 'speaking' captain is. What are they saying? It's not like they're calling the coin toss. And I don't remember their number 5 seconds later and I bet dollars to donuts my partner doesn't either. Never once have I heard a partner say to someone asking a question 'No, you can't ask me, you're not the speaking captain'. Utterly superfluous and useless.

But because we still have to do this charade, I try to keep mine short and simple. "Ok, you know your teammates better than I do, right? You know what they look like when they get mad or frustrated? If you can calm them down, it's so much better for everyone - keep us out of it as best you can. Alright - any questions? <have never had anyone ask a question at this point> Good luck".

And I'm in the 'not on a first name basis with 16 yr olds' camp as well. If I'm not the R and a partner does it, of course I'll mention it. But if I'm the R? Either nothing or Mr. XXX. No one is listening anyway, it doesn't matter.

Eastshire Wed Dec 23, 2015 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 973832)
I don't even know we still have captain's meeting, to be honest. Don't do it in other sports like baseball. And I especially don't know why some (a decreasing number but still a sizable minority) of my partners still insist on asking who the 'speaking' captain is. What are they saying? It's not like they're calling the coin toss. And I don't remember their number 5 seconds later and I bet dollars to donuts my partner doesn't either. Never once have I heard a partner say to someone asking a question 'No, you can't ask me, you're not the speaking captain'. Utterly superfluous and useless.

But because we still have to do this charade, I try to keep mine short and simple. "Ok, you know your teammates better than I do, right? You know what they look like when they get mad or frustrated? If you can calm them down, it's so much better for everyone - keep us out of it as best you can. Alright - any questions? <have never had anyone ask a question at this point> Good luck".

And I'm in the 'not on a first name basis with 16 yr olds' camp as well. If I'm not the R and a partner does it, of course I'll mention it. But if I'm the R? Either nothing or Mr. XXX. No one is listening anyway, it doesn't matter.

It's done in sports with coin tosses for obvious reasons.

scrounge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 973833)
It's done in sports with coin tosses for obvious reasons.

Yea, that's kinda my point...ask for a speaking captain when, you know, they actually need to speak. No such need here.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973811)
That's your right. But I also have the right to let people call me whatever I want.

Never suggested what you should do either way. I just think there is nothing wrong with have some sense of respect for an adult. That is part of the problem with kids today, they think adults are their equals and often are part of the problem I see we deal with as officials often. It seems like in every game I have a kid talking to me about something even when they are not involved and when I was coming up, that was never allowed by us. Coaches talked to officials, we listened to the coach.

Peace

Refhoop Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 973818)

The court is suppose to be an extension of the classroom... correct?
A few teachers and coaches are beginning to allow their students and athletes to call them by their first name... but this is definitely not the norm in middle and high school.
Hard to image Coach K allowing his athletes to call him Mike, while they're playing for him at Duke...?
Personally, I'd prefer to just be called "hey ref" or just "ref".
On that point; isn't the rule of thumb for officials to call the coaches: "Coach" and not by his first or last name.
So while on the court with minors, its: #3, #10... coach and ref!

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 973816)

No, I feel there is a respect factor. If I am in my 40s and I do not call a person that was an adult (someone that I am not a collegue with) by Mr or Mrs or Miss "Fill in the name" why would I want a kid calling me by my first name?

There are some values that I believe are important and respect for your elders is one of them.

Peace

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 973831)
That escalated quickly.

What escalated? You said something was a cultural norm, I stated that it is not where I live. And I stated what used to be a cultural norm where I live.

There is a great big world out there, I never assume something that happens where I live is the norm in some other part of the country.

I was also raised by a man who was frequently addressed as "boy" for his first 30 years on this planet, even while serving his country. So one of his "things" was that all of his children were to address adults as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. and that we were always to address his brothers and sisters as Uncle or Aunt.

Sorry if that so offensive to some. I don't know why it should bother anybody else. I'm not telling anybody else how they should be addressed.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:22pm

Quote:

This is the cultural thing I am talking. I was raised by people from the south and even when you were to call someone by their first name, you would say, "Miss...." or Mr......" using their first name.

And most of all we are in a professional setting, not a social setting. And even in a social setting, I do not want a kid calling me by their first name unless I have a very personal relationship with them like by best friend's kid or something where I know their parents very well.

Peace

Raymond Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973839)
This is the cultural thing I am talking. I was raised by people from the south and even when you were to call someone by their first name, you would say, "Miss...." or Mr......" using their first name.

Peace

Mr. or Miss FirstName is still a norm around here. My wife is 41 years old and still uses those terms of address for anybody who is a generation older than she is. My wife and I could not have been raised in more different environments (racially, culturally, and geographically), yet we somehow have that in common.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 973834)
Yea, that's kinda my point...ask for a speaking captain when, you know, they actually need to speak. No such need here.

More than once this season I've gone to the speaking captain to address a minor point quietly before it became a big point that I needed to be noticed addressing.

I certainly see the value.

And, while saying "sportsmanship" in the pre-game meeting probably has zero effect on that game, saying it 25 times a season might have some effect on the Game.

And, I do introduce myself as "Bob." I don't really care what they call me -- I care about the (real or implied) adjective in front of it. ;)

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973838)

I was also raised by a man who was frequently addressed as "boy" for his first 30 years on this planet, even while serving his country. So one of his "things" was that all of his children were to address adults as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. and that we were always to address his brothers and sisters as Uncle or Aunt.

Sorry if that so offensive to some. I don't know why it should bother anybody else. I'm not telling anybody else how they should be addressed.

Exactly. This is why it is cultural. And I also do not care what others do. If you want a kid calling you by your first name, knock yourself out. I am just not allowing it and that is my right.

Peace

Eastshire Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973838)
What escalated? You said something was a cultural norm, I stated that it is not where I live. And I stated what used to be a cultural norm where I live.

There is a great big world out there, I never assume something that happens where I live is the norm in some other part of the country.

Going from how we have players address us to making up for Jim Crow seemed like a very big difference in seriousness and tone to me. I didn't see the connection before but now I do.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973840)
Mr. or Miss FirstName is still a norm around here. My wife is 41 years old and still uses those terms of address for anybody who is a generation older than she is. My wife and I could not have been raised in more different environments (racially, culturally, and geographically), yet we somehow have that in common.

It is also culturally around here around certain people. People in the Midwest are not far off than what is done in the south. The thing I have noticed the generation of adults that wants to be everyone's friend is usually the ones that this is a conflict with their sensibilities. Just an opinion.

Peace

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973845)
It is also culturally around here around certain people. People in the Midwest are not far off than what is done in the south. The thing I have noticed the generation of adults that wants to be everyone's friend is usually the ones that this is a conflict with their sensibilities. Just an opinion.

Peace

You couldn't be more wrong. Just another opinion.

bas2456 Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:54pm

I've introduced myself by my first name every time I've officiated a game, and not once has a player addressed me by it. It's always been ref or sir. Some coaches are good at remembering names, and some coaches I've had several times and have a good enough relationship with to call them by their first name.

If I need to address something with a player, I'm usually able to pick out a player during the course of a game who seems to be the leader. It's not necessarily the captain. I'll tell that player to relay a message for me.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973851)
You couldn't be more wrong. Just another opinion.

That is fine and still no kid is calling me by my first name without me correcting them. You do what makes you comfortable and I will do what makes me comfortable. Just like every thing else we talk about here.

Peace

Rich Wed Dec 23, 2015 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973854)
That is fine and still no kid is calling me by my first name without me correcting them. You do what makes you comfortable and I will do what makes me comfortable. Just like every thing else we talk about here.

Peace

I find all this quite amusing.

I had a coach a few years ago. First names, as usual, between me and the coach.

One of the coach's assistants said to me, when I said hi to the head coach, "That's Coach XXXXX to you." I completely ignored the assistant - didn't even say hi to him or shake his hand.

For you, I'll make an exception. Please call me Mr. MyLastName. Everyone else can call me Rich.

Dad Wed Dec 23, 2015 06:54pm

Quote:

Peace

Your perception of reality is distorted.

Call this what it is, because it has absolutely nothing to do with respect.

BillyMac Wed Dec 23, 2015 08:58pm

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It ...

During player, and coach, introductions I always introduce myself as Billy Mac (first and last name, no mister). In thirty five years I've never had a player address me by either Billy, or Mr. Mac. I don't think that any of the hundreds of captains that I've introduced myself to over the years could remember my name thirty seconds after the conference. If I'm ever addressed by a player, captain, or otherwise, it's always Ref.

Coaches usually address me as Billy, or Ref, almost never Mr. Mac.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14pm

Quote:

Peace

Jeff:

I agree with you 100%. I am an old geezer (and you are also probably getting old, :p) and I was taught that anybody under the age of 18 did not address an adult by his or her first name. Even in Junior's first year of officiating when he was a senior in high school he introduced himself in jr. varsity games as Mr. DeNucci. I do not expect the players to remember my last name but I will respond to: Ref, Mr. Ref, Stripes, and even Blue (it is an umpiring thing), as long as it is done in a sportsmanlike manner.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973835)
Never suggested what you should do either way. I just think there is nothing wrong with have some sense of respect for an adult. That is part of the problem with kids today, they think adults are their equals and often are part of the problem I see we deal with as officials often. It seems like in every game I have a kid talking to me about something even when they are not involved and when I was coming up, that was never allowed by us. Coaches talked to officials, we listened to the coach.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973837)
No, I feel there is a respect factor. If I am in my 40s and I do not call a person that was an adult (someone that I am not a collegue with) by Mr or Mrs or Miss "Fill in the name" why would I want a kid calling me by my first name?

There are some values that I believe are important and respect for your elders is one of them.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973839)

And most of all we are in a professional setting, not a social setting. And even in a social setting, I do not want a kid calling me by their first name unless I have a very personal relationship with them like by best friend's kid or something where I know their parents very well.

Peace

Quote:

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973842)
Exactly. This is why it is cultural. And I also do not care what others do. If you want a kid calling you by your first name, knock yourself out. I am just not allowing it and that is my right.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973854)

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973864)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973877)
Jeff:

I agree with you 100%. I am an old geezer (and you are also probably getting old, :p) and I was taught that anybody under the age of 18 did not address an adult by his or her first name. Even in Junior's first year of officiating when he was a senior in high school he introduced himself in jr. varsity games as Mr. DeNucci. I do not expect the players to remember my last name but I will respond to: Ref, Mr. Ref, Stripes, and even Blue (it is an umpiring thing), as long as it is done in a sportsmanlike manner.

MTD, Sr.

Dad:

Once again I agree with Jeff 100% (even though he roots for that team up north, :p). I am 64 and nothing fries my tuchus than when I am talking with a customer service representative on the telephone, who is obviously in his or her 20s, and he or she wants to address me by my first name. That is absolutely unprofessional. I am a retired structural engineer and I would never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) address a client by his or her first name unless he or she specifically asked me to do so.

And while Jeff is one generation younger than me, we are were brought up to respect our elders. I know that sounds trite and is a cliche, but we have as a society become less and less civil over the last twenty years, and our public discourse is suffering for it.

Heck, Junior addresses me as Dad when we are officiating or umpiring because I am his dad (father) first who just happens to be his teammate on the court or diamond. More often than not, when he wants to get my attention he just yells: "Hey! Old man!" To which I always respond because I have always been "the bald old geezer" to my sons, LOL!

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:06pm

Quote:

OK, if you say so. I do not want kids calling me by my first name and in this arena they will not. It is that simple.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973877)
Ref, Mr. Ref, Stripes, and even Blue (it is an umpiring thing), as long as it is done in a sportsmanlike manner.

MTD, Sr.

I usually tell them, "Wrong sport" and smile and laugh. ;)

Peace

johnny d Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33pm

Quote:

Doesn't happen often, but I agree with JRut on this one too. I am a few years younger than JRut, but there is no way a teenager is going to address me by my first name. It has everything to do with respect. When that teenager becomes one of my peers, then they can call me by my first name.

bas2456 Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973881)
I usually tell them, "Wrong sport" and smile and laugh. ;)

Peace

I've had coaches call me blue before. Usually it's in a travel/AAU setting during the summer when the coach is a parent who also coaches baseball. I've played baseball/slow pitch softball all my life so I'll usually respond with a smile.

"Nothing beats fun at the old ballpark" - Harry Caray...maybe?

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973880)
OK, if you say so. I do not want kids calling me by my first name and in this arena they will not. It is that simple.

Peace

That's fine. I'm more addressing the idea of respect from a personal view. If a player calls you by your first name it could very well be out of respect. Ideally this wouldn't happen to you since you introduce yourself as Mr.X. In the event that it does happen, I'd hope you'd show him/her respect when telling them you didn't want them calling you by your first name.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 24, 2015 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973891)
That's fine. I'm more addressing the idea of respect from a personal view. If a player calls you by your first name it could very well be out of respect. Ideally this wouldn't happen to you since you introduce yourself as Mr.X. In the event that it does happen, I'd hope you'd show him/her respect when telling them you didn't want them calling you by your first name.

There is not possible way that a player would be able to address me by first name because I do not introduce myself using my first name.

MTD, Sr.

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:11am

My first game, my partner (older guy) introduced himself as Mr. [last name] and then pointed to me. I stood there for a second before just saying my first name. I'm not much older than those kids!

My pregame:

"Hello everybody, I'm RedAndWhiteRef, that's [Partner], we'll be your officials today. Sportsmanship is the most important thing, if you have a question please ask us and we'd be happy to answer. Captains, keep your teams in line, everyone play good clean defense and let's have a good game."

30 seconds max.

Rich Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:16am

Had a partner last night who, as U1, mentioned the black line all the way around. I was transported back in time.

scrounge Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 973914)
Had a partner last night who, as U1, mentioned the black line all the way around. I was transported back in time.

Had that twice already this season!

Two years ago, I was on an 'unofficial' JV crew (paired up with same partners for about 8-10 games) with a dude that drove me crazy when he was R. His captains meeting was pretty much like this:

"Ok, we have a black line all around, as well as a black line here (gesturing prominently) for the center line. We will point to the spot for throw-ins; remember, that spot is only 3 feet wide. Play with your hands, not your feet. We'll try to talk you out of fouls but you have to listen to us. We'll say 'lane' if you're getting close to a 3 seconds call. Hand checks and contact are a point of emphasis this year. White talks to white, <other color> talks to <other color>. Make sure you hand the ball to an official when it's dead or we'll tee you up (yes, he always said that). Now who is the speaking captain (of course)? Lift up your sweater, let me see your number....ok, you are chosen as captains for your teams, we expect you to set the example and enforce sportsmanship. We'll come to you first if we have any problems (never once did I see him or anyone else actually ask to speak with a captain). Does anyone have any questions (no one ever does)? Ok, let's have a good clean game and have fun. That's why we're here, right? (he would keep saying 'right' till the kids gave a half-hearted 'yeah'). Ok ladies/gentleman, good luck."

I'm pretty sure he once said 'the basketball hoop is ten feet above the floor' but I may be imagining that. I think we all were daydreaming halfway thru that filibuster.

Mregor Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 973927)
Play with your hands, not your feet.

Must have had a lot of fouls if they followed his instructions.

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 973927)
Had that twice already this season!

Two years ago, I was on an 'unofficial' JV crew (paired up with same partners for about 8-10 games) with a dude that drove me crazy when he was R. His captains meeting was pretty much like this:

"Ok, we have a black line all around, as well as a black line here (gesturing prominently) for the center line. We will point to the spot for throw-ins; remember, that spot is only 3 feet wide. Play with your hands, not your feet. We'll try to talk you out of fouls but you have to listen to us. We'll say 'lane' if you're getting close to a 3 seconds call. Hand checks and contact are a point of emphasis this year. White talks to white, <other color> talks to <other color>. Make sure you hand the ball to an official when it's dead or we'll tee you up (yes, he always said that). Now who is the speaking captain (of course)? Lift up your sweater, let me see your number....ok, you are chosen as captains for your teams, we expect you to set the example and enforce sportsmanship. We'll come to you first if we have any problems (never once did I see him or anyone else actually ask to speak with a captain). Does anyone have any questions (no one ever does)? Ok, let's have a good clean game and have fun. That's why we're here, right? (he would keep saying 'right' till the kids gave a half-hearted 'yeah'). Ok ladies/gentleman, good luck."

I'm pretty sure he once said 'the basketball hoop is ten feet above the floor' but I may be imagining that. I think we all were daydreaming halfway thru that filibuster.

I'll be the R tonight, bud. Don't worry about it. :D

JRutledge Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973891)

Actually I introduce my entire name, but thanks for playing. They still better not call me by my first name. And if a kid does not know how it is inappropriate, then they have bigger issues and someone is not teaching them how the world works. There are going to be a lot of situations in their lives where people are going to require them do to things they do not necessarily agree with and certainly when they are a kid. They are not equals with an adult. It is that simple.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973931)
I'll be the R tonight, bud. Don't worry about it. :D

That was your first mistake, volunteering to be the R. The late Danny Doss always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) said never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) be the R.

MTD, Sr.

RedAndWhiteRef Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 973932)
Actually I introduce my entire name, but thanks for playing. They still better not call me by my first name. And if a kid does not know how it is inappropriate, then they have bigger issues and someone is not teaching them how the world works. There are going to be a lot of situations in their lives where people are going to require them do to things they do not necessarily agree with and certainly when they are a kid. They are not equals with an adult. It is that simple.

Peace

To each their own, but "Mr. RedAndWhiteRef" is my dad, who's also a ref. Sometimes I'll introduce my full name to coaches, but I don't have a system. Just whatever I feel like that day, or whatever my partners are doing.

Several coaches in my area take the time to remember the officials' names and I've been called by my first name many times by coaches. I appreciate that. It just sounds better than "ref" or "Mr. Official."

I also hate being called sir. It's just basketball, and I'm just one of the officials. I'm not a judge or a sworn officer of the law.

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:23am

Quote:

Peace

Wow.

I'll continue to have players("Kids") real respect. You can live in the land of make-believe coercion.

Dad Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973934)
That was your first mistake, volunteering to be the R. The late Danny Doss always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) said never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) be the R.

MTD, Sr.

This joke went over my head. Mind spelling it out for me?

Rich Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973934)

MTD, Sr.

Since this thread has already gone to hell, let's take it in another direction, Mr. DeNucci, Sr. :D

I work a lot with one official -- lately we've had a different third just about every night. And it's like clockwork -- at some point he'll say U2, I'll say U1, and the third will mumble an expletive. Heh heh.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 973935)
To each their own, but "Mr. RedAndWhiteRef" is my dad, who's also a ref. Sometimes I'll introduce my full name to coaches, but I don't have a system. Just whatever I feel like that day, or whatever my partners are doing.

Several coaches in my area take the time to remember the officials' names and I've been called by my first name many times by coaches. I appreciate that. It just sounds better than "ref" or "Mr. Official."

I also hate being called sir. It's just basketball, and I'm just one of the officials. I'm not a judge or a sworn officer of the law.

I have never liked being called by my first name by a coach. When one coach (who may be seeing you for the first time ever) hears you called by your first name by the other coach it can appear that you are friends and that cannot bode well in a hotly contested games.

Over the course of my college officiating career there were many coaches who I knew very well, well enough to be on a first name basis, but I never addressed them by their first name, I always addressed them as Coach, especially in games involving an opponent I had never seen before, and these coaches were smart (what a concept, a smart coach) to not address me by first names during the game.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31am

I'm a baseball guy and baseball is a first name sport at the higher levels. There's an implied lack of respect or a lack of a clue when a coach calls you "Blue" or "Ump" or anything but your first name. Likewise, I always get and use first names of the coaches/managers. This is from the lower levels through the college level.

I get that there are mixed opinions about doing the same in football and basketball, but I've always, ALWAYS used first names in those sports and I haven't once seen a coach taken aback by it. And I'm happy when they remember and use my first name. To me it doesn't imply familiarity -- it implies they either did their homework (found out who we were) or paid attention when I introduced myself.

Of course a lot of this is generational and/or cultural.

JRutledge Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 973936)
Wow.

I'll continue to have players("Kids") real respect. You can live in the land of make-believe coercion.

I love how you worry about what I am doing. I really do not care to have their respect other than how they address the officials.

But again you are one of those adults that I am talking about. You really seem to care what kids do or think towards you. I do not.

Peace

OKREF Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:36am

Quote:

Peace

Mr. Rutledge. If you introduce yourself by your first and last name, aren't you opening it up for kids to call you by your first name?