The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Legal Guarding Position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100531-legal-guarding-position.html)

The_Rookie Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:22am

Legal Guarding Position

B1 is in the Lane and has established LGP. A1 drives to the hoop and collides with B1.

A) If B1 opens his shoulder up by turning away right before contact, is this considered maintaining LGP?

B) If B1 turns his shoulder forward toward A1 right before contact,is this considered maintaining LGP?

Thanks!

BlueDevilRef Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56am

A defender can "brace" for contact and still take a PC foul but I think I need more info on the turning of the shoulder away or toward to decide.....not facing the offense? Is that your description? Or leaning back or forward. Just can't picture this in my head

I wish I had a cool signature

JeffM Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08pm

Situation A is a charge

Situation B is a block...the defender cannot move forward.

The_Rookie Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 973458)
A defender can "brace" for contact and still take a PC foul but I think I need more info on the turning of the shoulder away or toward to decide.....not facing the offense? Is that your description? Or leaning back or forward. Just can't picture this in my head

B1 establishes LGP but right before crash turns his shoulder away from A1 whereby he is no longer facing A1 head on bit only partially facing. Same thing except the turn of the shoulder is toward A1 and again not facing A1 head on but only partial...Hope that helps

Adam Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 973458)

Facing the offense is required to gain LGP. It is not required to maintain it.

Adam Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 973460)
B1 establishes LGP but right before crash turns his shoulder away from A1 whereby he is no longer facing A1 head on bit only partially facing. Same thing except the turn of the shoulder is toward A1 and again not facing A1 head on but only partial...Hope that helps

I've got PC either way. I don't consider shoulder movement here to be moving forward enough, unless I'm picturing it wrong.

BlueDevilRef Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 973462)
Facing the offense is required to gain LGP. It is not required to maintain it.

I realize that which is why I was asking for more info. In the first sitch I'm thinking PC. In the 2nd, sounds like a block.

JetMetFan Sat Dec 19, 2015 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 973453)
B1 is in the Lane and has established LGP. A1 drives to the hoop and collides with B1.

A) If B1 opens his shoulder up by turning away right before contact, is this considered maintaining LGP?

B) If B1 turns his shoulder forward toward A1 right before contact,is this considered maintaining LGP?

Given your description both should be PC fouls. The phrase "right before contact" means - to me, at least - the shoulder turns were completed before there was contact with the BH/D. As long as the BH/D didn't go airborne, the defender can be moving any direction other than forward at the moment of contact.

Camron Rust Sat Dec 19, 2015 01:57pm

Quote:

Thanks!

A) Perfectly legal. Movement AWAY from the shooter is always legal.

B) Might be legal in some cases but I'd have to see it. Movement towards is generally not legal. But, if the movement is primarily a twist for protection and not putting a shoulder closer to enhance contact, I have a PC still, otherwise, I'd go with a block.

billyu2 Sat Dec 19, 2015 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 973463)
I've got a block either way. I don't consider shoulder movement here to be moving forward enough, unless I'm picturing it wrong.

Adam, did you mean to say PC? The way I am picturing it, the turning of the shoulder(s) in either direction shouldn't matter if it is apparent they are still within the vertical space of the defender. Now if a forward step or a significant leaning were also involved, that could change things.

Adam Sat Dec 19, 2015 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 973468)
Adam, did you mean to say PC? The way I am picturing it, the turning of the shoulder(s) in either direction shouldn't matter if it is apparent they are still within the vertical space of the defender. Now if a forward step or a significant leaning were also involved, that could change things.

Doh, I did mean PC. I'll fix it.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 19, 2015 02:40pm

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 973459)
Situation A is a charge

Situation B is a block...the defender cannot move forward.

Charge in both (A) and (B).

As long as the Defender stays within his Cylinder of Verticality he has a LGP. Furthermore, it does not matter whether the Defender rotates his body in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction one shoulder will be closer to the Offensive Player and the other shoulder with be farther away from the Offensive Player and this is legal as long as the Defender stays within his Cylinder of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.

Dad Sat Dec 19, 2015 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 973470)
Charge in both (A) and (B).

As long as the Defender stays within his Cylinder of Verticality he has a LGP. Furthermore, it does not matter whether the Defender rotates his body in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction one shoulder will be closer to the Offensive Player and the other shoulder with be farther away from the Offensive Player and this is legal as long as the Defender stays within his Cylinder of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.

Well worded, I like it.

Pantherdreams Sat Dec 19, 2015 06:45pm

Firstly in honour of Star Wars "It's a trap." Anytime one shoulder is turning back you've got one turning foward. Whatever the call is should be the same for both.

2nd players are allowed to twist,turn, move backwards to protect themselves. If they have lgp and any movements within their cylinder are simply to protect themselves I,be got no problem. PC both times.

Now if the turn and dip their lead shoulder not to protect but to deliver a blow and lean forward beyond their space or a similar situation it would be a different story.

just another ref Sat Dec 19, 2015 09:16pm

It is quite possible, through a combination of leaning the torso forward or back, while at the same time twisting, to move one shoulder in a horizontal direction and not move the other.