The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100527-basket-interference.html)

packersowner Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:15am

Basket Interference

A1 try is above the imaginary cylinder when B1 touches does the following:

1 - touches the basket

2 - grasps and pulls the ring down

Rule 4-6-1

Basket Interference occurs when a player touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within either basket.

I need some clarification, in 1 no basket interference? In 2, as long as the ring does not contact the ball before returning to its original position, no basket interference?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 973373)
A1 try is above the imaginary cylinder when B1 touches does the following:

1 - touches the basket

2 - grasps and pulls the ring down

Rule 4-6-1

Basket Interference occurs when a player touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within either basket.

I need some clarification, in 1 no basket interference? In 2, as long as the ring does not contact the ball before returning to its original position, no basket interference?

When the ball is in the "cylinder" it's not "on or within the basket". The "Basket" is defined as the ring, flange, braces, net -- and not any vertical airspace.

Note that touching the BALL in the play is BI -- not because of the rule you quoted but because of another (probably the very next clause, but I don't have the books to check).

packersowner Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40pm

Yes, sorry its article 4. (4-6-4)

BillyMac Fri Dec 18, 2015 04:52pm

From The List ...

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

ODog Fri Dec 18, 2015 06:45pm

Quote:

To actually answer your question, which is what you were hoping for I'm sure:

1.) No BI
2.) No BI

Nevadaref Fri Dec 18, 2015 07:18pm

#2 could certainly be a technical foul, even if basket interference is not warranted.

AremRed Sat Dec 19, 2015 04:47am

Quote:

Correct on both counts. Had a play this year where a try was above the ring in the cylinder and a teammate trying for a putback dunk was in the air and grasped the ring on the way down for safety and the rim returned to its normal position before the ball touched it. Looked funky as hell and everyone screamed Bloody Technical but we leaned on our testicular fortitude and didn't call anything.

referee99 Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:24am

Still sounds painful..

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 973444)
Correct on both counts. Had a play this year where a try was above the ring in the cylinder and a teammate trying for a putback dunk was in the air and grasped the ring on the way down for safety and the rim returned to its normal position before the ball touched it. Looked funky as hell and everyone screamed Bloody Technical but we leaned on our testicular fortitude and didn't call anything.

Ouch!