The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

(Video) Legal or Illegal Screen

I want opinions on this. This is not my video BTW, just subscribe to the page and noticed this.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 01:05pm
Back from the DL

Legal. Plenty of distance between screener and defender when the screener established position.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Blind Mice ...

Legal. The screener appeared to meet all the time, and distance, parameters to make this a violent, but legal, blind screen on a moving opponent.

4-40-5: When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the
opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction.
The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may
take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two
normal steps or strides from the opponent.

Nice video JRutledge. Thanks for sharing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Legal.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm fine with an illegal screen here. There's no way the defense has time to stop and change directions when the player actually becomes a screener. By the time he stops, the defender barely has room to take a step, let alone two which should be given when a player is running.

I'm probably never calling this illegal, but I do not think it's an easy call if you're going off the rule.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.

The screener meets the requirements of 4-40-5.

Clearly plenty of room as the defender takes two strides before he makes contact with the screener.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 02:53pm
NFHS Official

Legal. Time and distance requirements met.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Legal.

The screener meets the requirements of 4-40-5.

Clearly plenty of room as the defender takes two strides before he makes contact with the screener.
This doesn't matter. You can't jump in front of someone who has taken two strides and claim two strides. Defender is pushing off his left foot when the screen is set. He slams into it on his right foot.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 03:00pm
AremRed

Illegal, I think the screener comes to a complete stop right before contact, which is not enough time/distance for how fast the defender is moving. Plus it's a bullshit play in the backcourt and I want to clean that up.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Legal by a mile.

For a moment before the screener stooped, they screener was moving in the same path and direction as the opponent, so that made it legal by an even greater margin than it may first appear.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Legal by a mile.

For a moment before the screener stooped, they screener was moving in the same path and direction as the opponent, so that made it legal by an even greater margin than it may first appear.
They were never moving in the same path and direction. (Before contact)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This doesn't matter. You can't jump in front of someone who has taken two strides and claim two strides. Defender is pushing off his left foot when the screen is set. He slams into it on his right foot.
You're wrong. The screener's feet were set before the defender's left foot hit the floor.

And as Cameron pointed out, the screener was in fact moving (backwards) in the same path & direction as the defender before he set the screen.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
You're wrong. The screener's feet were set before the defender's left foot hit the floor.

And as Cameron pointed out, the screener was in fact moving (backwards) in the same path & direction as the defender before he set the screen.
I'm right and I'll show you step by step what happens in this video.

The offensive screen jumps off his left foot landing on both trying to set a screen. Not only does he land almost the same time the defender is on his left foot, which is illegal, but when he lands he's in an illegal screening position. Left foot is behind the free throw line and he has his knee and shoulder stretched out. He notices his position is horrible and tries to correct it. By the time he corrects and tries to get straight up and stationary the defense doesn't even have HALF a step to move.

As for the path and direction, this one is easy. At BEST he jumps parallel to the table, and at worst he jumps from opposite table side to table side, slightly. The defense is clearly running from table side to opposite table side. So not only are they clearly running in two different lines, but this isn't at all what the rule 4-30 art. 6 is talking about.

Last edited by Dad; Sun Dec 13, 2015 at 03:56pm.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm right and I'll show you step by step what happens in this video.

The offensive screen jumps off his left foot landing on both trying to set a screen. Not only does he land almost the same time the defender is on his left foot, which is illegal, but when he lands he's in an illegal screening position. Left foot is behind the free throw line and he has his knee and shoulder stretched out. He notices his position is horrible and tries to correct it. By the time he corrects and tries to get straight up and stationary the defense doesn't even have HALF a step to move.

As for the path and direction, this one is easy. At BEST he jumps parallel to the table, and at worst he jumps from opposite table side to table side, slightly. The defense is clearly running from table side to opposite table side. So not only are they clearly running in two different lines, but this isn't at all what the rule 4-30 art. 6 is talking about.

My ruling is legal.

From what I can see this ^^^ picture is probably the moment the offensive player gets into a screening position. He's stationary - or at least from this point on his body doesn't move towards the defender (not that it ever did).

As to his screening position: No, he's not vertical but that doesn't mean it isn't a screen. His positioning is only relevant at the time the contact takes place. As we saw in the video, the contact was on the screener's torso and by that time his (the screener's) body was vertical. Not only was he vertical, he was actually stepping away from the defender.

If the contact took place at the point represented in this picture then I'd say illegal but the screener had enough time to correct himself and the defender had enough time to stop or change direction.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

My ruling is legal.

From what I can see this ^^^ picture is probably the moment the offensive player gets into a screening position. He's stationary - or at least from this point on his body doesn't move towards the defender (not that it ever did).

As to his screening position: No, he's not vertical but that doesn't mean it isn't a screen. His positioning is only relevant at the time the contact takes place. As we saw in the video, the contact was on the screener's torso and by that time his (the screener's) body was vertical. Not only was he vertical, he was actually stepping away from the defender.

If the contact took place at the point represented in this picture then I'd say illegal but the screener had enough time to correct himself and the defender had enough time to stop or change direction.
Awesome point.

How come you think it's a screen when he's contorting his body? I would think in that picture he isn't set yet, and if hit, would be illegal. Therefore, I'm saying he isn't even set yet so I wouldn't start counting strides.

Given I'm wrong and we do give him strides here, wouldn't we give the defense more than one step if he is moving quickly?