The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   DQ mess up (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100477-dq-mess-up.html)

deecee Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 972342)
Partner should've said:

"Horn. Now....." after the five seconds had clearly elapsed.

I've seen so many officials screw up the DQ procedure cause they just aren't willing to start the clock and keep things moving. It's not a free timeout for the teams.

I had a BV game couple days ago. One of the teams (not the one with the DQd player) thought this time was a TO. It was their ball on the endline and we were ready to go. I had blown my whistle and put the ball down. They were half a second away from a 5 second violation. I told the coach it's not a TO and between the horn and my whistle your players should have been on their spots ready to go.

so cal lurker Thu Dec 10, 2015 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 972280)
I can only guess that there may be 2 more FT's after the second with this coach.

Nah. He let it go. I kinda think coach didn't know if it was a good argument and decided to give it a whirl. (The table crew might have fit well into that other thread . . . .)

Adam Thu Dec 10, 2015 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 972321)
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever teched a coach for slow playing this substitution? Had a coach that was trying to be cute the other night and the thought crossed my mind.

He gets 20 seconds. If there isn't a sub on his way to the table by the time I finish the word "five," my next words are to the timer.

I've only had one coach get to 20, and we shot two extra free throws.

crosscountry55 Thu Dec 10, 2015 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 972342)
Partner should've said:

"Horn. Now....." after the five seconds had clearly elapsed.

I've seen so many officials screw up the DQ procedure cause they just aren't willing to start the clock and keep things moving. It's not a free timeout for the teams.

I agree. You almost always have to be proactive with the table when a sub doesn't come immediately.

Part of the problem is table education. Most varsity tables fully understand the concept of timing timeouts and the 15-second warning horns that go with them. Conversely, most of them give you a deer-in-the-headlights look when you say, "20 seconds. Go."

If that concept is challenging, the idea of sounding a warning horn just five seconds after starting your stopwatch is even more foreign to scorers. It's not like they actually read Rule 2 or anything.

I haven't done this when I'm the R, but perhaps in the future when I have my little conversation with the table before the game I should specifically talk about replacement interval procedures.

Meh....not sure if I want to go there or not.

Adam Thu Dec 10, 2015 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 972408)
I agree. You almost always have to be proactive with the table when a sub doesn't come immediately.

Part of the problem is table education. Most varsity tables fully understand the concept of timing timeouts and the 15-second warning horns that go with them. Conversely, most of them give you a deer-in-the-headlights look when you say, "20 seconds. Go."

If that concept is challenging, the idea of sounding a warning horn just five seconds after starting your stopwatch is even more foreign to scorers. It's not like they actually read Rule 2 or anything.

I haven't done this when I'm the R, but perhaps in the future when I have my little conversation with the table before the game I should specifically talk about replacement interval procedures.

Meh....not sure if I want to go there or not.

It's the one thing I make sure to talk about with the timer.