The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 20, 2015, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Uhhh, all of them...

100% -- If you do not have a picture posted by the end of "scrimmage" season usually around Nov 1st) then you stop getting assigned games.

Also, we do not get paid for scrimmages . Instead the teams pay the fees to the association and we treat it as a fund raiser in order to keep our dues low ($60 a year). Each member is required to work two scrimmages in order to be considered for play-off games. It is a system that works well.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2015, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

We have to upload photo to get out ID card. The ID card is a pass into any high school sporting event. I use it. When I get assignments, the picture is shown with the names for all officials assigned to that site, that day, so it includes sub varsity games. Based on that I'd say it's 95% for varsity boys and a bit lower for sub varsity, about 75%.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
When I get assignments, the picture is shown with the names for all officials assigned to that site, that day, so it includes sub varsity games.
Wow, being informed of who is officiating before/after you is a great feature. What program does your assignor use? I'm assuming it's not Arbiter.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone's assignor charge you $5/10 to be assigned in Arbiter? I have one assignor who charges us for her usage of Arbiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 09:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogero1 View Post
Does anyone's assignor charge you $5/10 to be assigned in Arbiter? I have one assignor who charges us for her usage of Arbiter.

In high school, my association have not risen since the institution of Arbiter, so would say "no".

For my college conferences, who knows. I'm sure part of our registration fees are earmarked to recoup costs from Arbiter.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, some assigners (but not all) in both basketball and baseball.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Our high school volleyball board does this and has 100% compliance with the request to have a picture in the arbiter.Not everyone in the college groups I belong to has a picture on file but it doesn't seem like they make a big deal out of it.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 12:16pm
AremRed

Quote:
Yes. Arbiter charges every assignor $4 to add an official to their group, so most of my assignors pass that cost on to me.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My landlord charges me when her property taxes go up. It's called a rent increase when my lease expires. Same principle applies to assignors when they incur Arbiter fees; somehow or other, that cost gets passed down to assignees.* In my little corner of un-Connecticut it happens in the form of a 10% cut out of every game fee. In other places it's a flat rate fee at the beginning of the season.

* Exception: when the schools and/or conferences pay the assignors directly. Then it's the schools/conferences footing the Arbiter fees.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Wow, being informed of who is officiating before/after you is a great feature. What program does your assignor use? I'm assuming it's not Arbiter.
All games in AZ (Phoenix) are assigned by the state interscholastic association. They use a unique software for assignments but RefPay for paying. We are charged $1 assigning fee per game. We use arbiter for football association assignments.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 06:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Our Association encourages the photos, but doesn't emphasize it or, to my knowledge, penalize those who don't have a picture.

I find it very useful, especially if your new, and looking for your partners before the game. Of course, you can always just look for the nicely dressed person(s) sitting by themselves too.
Old Sat Oct 24, 2015, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

A Tell Tale Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Of course, you can always just look for the nicely dressed person(s) sitting by themselves too.
The refs are easy to identify as the enter the gym - they are the guys that look like they're late for a plan as they rush through the airport with the rolling bags in tow. I used to make fun of the rolling bag when I coached but after several years of reffing I found that a duffle was too heavy to carry once I added everything I needed (jackets, pants, shirts, shoes, books, etc.) plus all of the extras (backups for most of those items). Now, my wife makes fun of me but I just grin and bear it.
Old Sun Oct 25, 2015, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
For those of you whose boards receive assignments through ArbiterSports (or hell, any online assigning program/service) what percentage of your members would you say have pictures with their profiles?

We have many coaches, fellow officials and people who are just bad with names/faces who seem to be increasingly asking, "My partner for an upcoming assignment is X. Do you know him?" Or a coach saying, "How am I supposed to rate/block officials if it's just a bunch of names with no faces?"

Our assignor appreciates those who have pictures with their profiles, but he doesn't require it. Our president urged more members to get pictures up last season and only a handful complied.

I'd guess fewer than 20% of our members have gone through "the trouble." Just curious if this is common or if most boards have less difficulty getting members to go along with something so simple and seemingly helpful.
Our supervisor is requiring a professional profile photo this year.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 08:08am
Do not give a damn!!

It was explained at a meeting last night that the administrator of the Arbiter site in this area will not allow you an account if you do not have an Arbiter picture. You must apply to get a Arbiter account BTW and be given access to the site by the administrator.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 02:59pm

My high school association encourages a picture be added. All of my college coordinators require it.