The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charge or Block (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100006-charge-block-video.html)

xyrph Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05pm

Charge or Block (Video)

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F_B4l3DCyl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was called blocking, but I think it's just good defense. No call at at all seems appropriate, but I do have a question about the last contact just prior to the whistle. The defender's hip gets slammed backwards. Is that ever enough for a charge or does the defender actually have to fall?

JetMetFan Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:19pm

Or...nothing?

OKREF Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:20pm

I don't have anything on this play. Plus it's 41-11 in the first, just sayin.

Camron Rust Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 965517)
Or...nothing?

The same.

AremRed Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyrph (Post 965516)
Is that ever enough for a charge or does the defender actually have to fall?

Uhhhhh....should we tell him?

APG Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:22am

Nothing

Scooby Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:36am

No the defender does not have to fall down. And this looks like a no call to me. But they may have a running clock and the official wanted a break.

JetMetFan Tue Aug 04, 2015 05:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 965518)
Plus it's 41-11.

Amen. A call like that is a good way to wake up the coach who is taking the beating.

deecee Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:20am

nothing at all, if anything hand-check but I don't see that in this close game.

Zoochy Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 965533)
nothing at all, if anything hand-check but I don't see that in this close game.

Close game.... that's funny. I had to watch the video a 2nd time to see the score.
Personally, I got nothing.
Maybe use game management for the rest of the game

JRutledge Tue Aug 04, 2015 08:41am

There was no foul. The defense did what they are supposed to do, get in the way of the ball handler. The defender did not extend an arm or anything, she retreated her arms. And no one got an advantage from any contact, other than maybe a bigger defender was not moving to a smaller ball handler.

Peace

Rob1968 Tue Aug 04, 2015 09:38am

I'd like to see Trail "work the arc" and would expect him to be considerably more towards the center of the court, at the time of the whistle.

This call has the feel of the official trying to sort out the 10-6-12 d. - "Contacting the player more than once with the same or alternating hands."
Hopefully, there is a mentor or supervisor present/available who can help with both of these concepts.

I sometimes see officials, usually less experienced officials, make a call due to the anxiety of not having blown a whistle for a long time, and this call also has that feel.

For many experieiced officials, this sequence is a no-call, even considering 10-6-12.

JetMetFan Tue Aug 04, 2015 09:42am

The defender had her forearm out a couple of times but then A1 moved into her and the forearm collapsed. That's not a hand-check - actually, arm-bar - regardless of the score.

SWMOzebra Tue Aug 04, 2015 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 965541)
The defender had her forearm out a couple of times but then A1 moved into her and the forearm collapsed. That's not a hand-check - actually, arm-bar - regardless of the score.

I was thinking the same thing, the initial contact early would have been an arm-bar foul. After that, there's nothing that warrants a whistle.

JRutledge Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 965541)

Yeah, but did she extend or place that forearm on the ball handler? I am not so sure she did. It was out, but retreated as the ball handler got to them. I do not think we can realistically expect them to completely remove their arms and hands from the front of their body. If the arm is extended or pushed way from the body, then I would agree. And this was the interpretation we were given in our state.

Peace