The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Seeking help in creating video clips

During the past season I recorded several clips of plays that I thought would be good for teaching new officials. I recorded them on my Dish DVR as I watched various games. I am finally getting around to download them but have found that it isn't as easy as I thought. I figured I could connect my DVR to a DVD and burn them on a disc. Found out that I am either doing something wrong or that this method is not workable. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 11:53am
This IS My Social Life

I was Stymied

Try this: How to Transfer Video From a Dish DVR to an External Hard Drive | Science - Opposing Views
Though I've never been able to pull off what you're trying to do with DISH. DirecTV, I think, is the service that makes you buy a program from them to download video you've DVR'ed. I tried what that link above suggests and never was able to do it. Might be a separate unit you need to buy for DISH also, not sure.
Interested in any other responses of successes.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I first encountered this when I tried to copy something from DVD to VHS many years ago. Content providers can insert a signal into the video feed that tells recording devices that the video may not be duplicated.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 06:51pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quick 'n dirty

Play the clip on your TV. Shoot the TV screen with your smartphone camera... edit as needed. Your phone may have 2 different camera resolutions on front vs back
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions

I plan on trying these out. Thanks
Old Fri Jul 31, 2015, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Try this: How to Transfer Video From a Dish DVR to an External Hard Drive | Science - Opposing Views
Though I've never been able to pull off what you're trying to do with DISH. DirecTV, I think, is the service that makes you buy a program from them to download video you've DVR'ed. I tried what that link above suggests and never was able to do it. Might be a separate unit you need to buy for DISH also, not sure.
Interested in any other responses of successes.
Unless Dish has changed the way it works, the videos copied to the external hard drive are not in a form readable by your PC. They're encrypted such that they can only be played back on the DVR it was recorded from or another one activated on the same account. It is only intended to be able to increase the capacity of the DVR or move files between two dish network systems on your account.
Old Fri Jul 31, 2015, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I first encountered this when I tried to copy something from DVD to VHS many years ago. Content providers can insert a signal into the video feed that tells recording devices that the video may not be duplicated.
It was called MacroVision. It is still around, but since so few people copy to VHS (who would want to), it has almost been forgotten about. It was easily defeated by inserting a device in the connection between the two machines. The same device also could be used to improve the picture on marginal videos too....which made the device legal even if some specific uses of it were not.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2015, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

This worked better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Play the clip on your TV. Shoot the TV screen with your smartphone camera... edit as needed. Your phone may have 2 different camera resolutions on front vs back
Thanks for the suggestion as I never thought about doing this. All my other attempts failed but this worked well. I actually "shot" the TV screen with my laptop which allowed me to load it directly into my Movie Maker editing program. Was able to create the clips in a relatively short amount of time and the quality was much better than what I had anticipated.

In addition, Camron is correct about the external hard drive option. Dish encrypts their recordings so this didn't work.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2015, 09:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

This is the slow season of the forum, so feel free to post some of those clips so we can talk about plays.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 07:12am
This IS My Social Life

My Attempt...OK I Guess

This is an example of a game DVR'd which I had to take a video of in order to make clips for study. Clarity good enough for intended use, I guess.

Double Charge Missed -- Watching Dribbler, Out of Primary

Last edited by APG; Mon Aug 03, 2015 at 01:15pm. Reason: embed
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This is an example of a game DVR'd which I had to take a video of in order to make clips for study. Clarity good enough for intended use, I guess.

Double Charge Missed -- Watching Dribbler, Out of Primary
Guy was so intent on flopping that he whipped his own head into the floor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know that I would call that a flop. I have a PC, with the defender moving laterally to maintain LGP.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 03:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I don't know that I would call that a flop. I have a PC, with the defender moving laterally to maintain LGP.
The defender fell in the opposite direction from which A1 was traveling.

A1 is moving from tableside across the paint and the defender falls back at an angle towards his bench.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Falling to floor with the ball (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is the slow season of the forum, so feel free to post some of those clips so we can talk about plays.
Ok, here are a couple that I thought were interesting. Travel - Yes or No? on the player falling to the floor.

Good block or illegal contact in regard to verticality ruling on the second play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u07qfgk14n...Floor.mp4?dl=0
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 09:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZebra View Post
Ok, here are a couple that I thought were interesting. Travel - Yes or No? on the player falling to the floor.

Good block or illegal contact in regard to verticality ruling on the second play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u07qfgk14n...Floor.mp4?dl=0
Play 1: Nothing

Play 2: Nothing