The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I plan on calling +POS to see what they say, but for several reasons I'd like to ask the board.

First of all, does anyone know when their Spring 2004 catalog comes out? Also, do prices tend to increase, decrease, or not alter with the coming Spring season? The whole reasoning behind these questions is I'm trying to decide when to buy the gear, and I want to get the most for my buck.

Aside from the zillions of negative comments I've read about their customer service, any company is going to have difficulty telling me the best way to get a their products cheaper.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

They usually have a 20% discount on umpire gear/clothing during the month of December. If you are on their mailing list you will get a catalog and details about the sale.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
you might want to shop around.. there are other places to get +pos stuff and not have to deal with possibly not getting your stuff.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

since you live in deerfield, you are sort of close enough to drive and pick your stuff up rather than waiting for them to mess your shipment up. i live in naperville and its like a 30 minute drive to schaumburg (where they are located) so i just go there. the only thing they ask is that you call ahead and they are only open from 1-4 for pickup orders. just call in the morning and head out the same day and you have it in your hands.

they should be sending out their "early buy" catalog for the winter discounts, i'll be picking up new plate shoes and a chest protector.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've sent a ton of money to +POS over the years. As stated... they have a 20% off stuff, 10% off clothes sale all during the MONTH of DECEMBER. Buy your stuff then.

You can see ALL their stuff on the website, and it reflects the discounted prices during December. http://www.pluspos.com
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Save yourself the headache!

I actually recommend just going elsewhere. High on my list are Honigs ( http://www.honigs.com ), Gerry Davis ( http://www.gerrydavis ), and Pro-Nine ( http://www.pronine.com )

those are my recommendations.
Arik
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I highly recommend Lester's Upstate Sports.

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com

Dave Prong runs the place. He's a terrific guy. Most importantly, they're extremely fast shippers to my house on the East Coast. They're service is impeccable, and they have the same quality stuff at or below the cost of companies with more familiar names.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Response

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone that has posted on this topic, as well as any other. I feel I am learning so much, and being able to view everything from many different angles.

Now more specific. As for the purchasing of my gear, for me, I think +POS will actually be the best choice. I also feel, for many first time umpires, they may be one of the best available.

I'm going to be ignoring shipping issues, mainly because I'll be avoiding them by picking the order up on my own. However, I think if ordered in advance, and a shipping problem does occur, if persistent enough, and enough time is set out, one can receive their gear in ample time.

But, here's why I feel +POS may be one of the best places for a starting umpire. I have been making money working other jobs (as well as umping), so I have some money available for me to spend. With money available, I would much rather spend a little more for better quality equipment, which I won't have to "upgrade" as I continue umpiring. Please note, I do not claim +POS to have better gear, but the better quality the gear, the more expensive it tends to be, no matter who is selling it.

+POS offers a starter package called the MY100 package. It is the only package I have seen of its kind. The package is self-assembled, as opposed to pre-made with subsitutions as I've seen elsewhere. By purchasing a shirt, pants, hat, chest protector, mask, and shin guards, you receive 25% off the catalog price. That is by far the highest discount I have seen from ANY of the suppliers, and I have looked all over. They also include a broom, a ball bag, an indicator, and a bullet pencil with the package.

If it was only that, I would say that near any storefront would work. Many of the distributors offer equal quality gear for the same or less price. But, here is the catch. If you want to buy plate shoes or a jacket, you can receive 20% off of both of those as well. With plate shoes running upwards on $80 at the low-end and $100 average (not to mention the $50+ for the jacket), the 20% saves a large chunk of money.

I have looked at Honigs, at Gerry Davis, at Lester's Upstate, at Getofficial, plust countless others. In my opinion, if you are buying single items, or a few items that you need, +POS is most likely not the way to go to save money. But, as for a "starter package", and the starting umpire, the highest quality gear can be bought, saving the most money by buying everything through +POS.

Not to mention, I'm hoping I can con +POS into letting me take the discounts from the packages, and also use the December discounts that they will send out! While I don't deny I am spending a large sum of money, and most likely more than necessary (by getting gear that is higher quality than I need right now), the benefits outweigh that cost:
1. I will feel extremely confident by being behind state of the art gear.
2. I won't have to deal with the hassle of faulty gear, and the costs incurred from injury
3. I will atleast double the cost of the gear with income from umping.
4. I won't need to "upgrade" my gear in the upcoming years, because I am already set with the gear necessary for the more advanced levels.

So, while I haven't made the purchase yet, and I may change my mind afterwords, I really feel that you can get the most for your buck as a starting umpire through +POS.

Nevertheless, thanks for the input! I still haven't found another board that I like nearly as much!

- Harry Caray
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

The only problem with this is that I feel different pieces of gear have different value.

I think ANY pair of shin guards protect as advertised. I bought a pair of cheapo Diamond shin guards this season for about $30 on clearance from GD. I bought a WV mask for what seemed to be a very small amount of money. And then I bought a WV Platinum chest protector. The importance of the chest protector is primary in my opinion, whereas the COMFORT of the shin guards is the key.

I bought these three items from three different suppliers, I think. I regularly order from Lester's, Honig's, and GD. I do my research and find out who has the best price on what I want to buy. I buy my football stuff from Honig's, my basketball stuff from GD, and assorted stuff from Lester's.

25% off catalog isn't a great deal if the catalog prices are too high. Did you check the prices of what you want elsewhere?

Rich
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Response

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87

I have looked at Honigs, at Gerry Davis, at Lester's Upstate, at Getofficial, plust countless others. In my opinion, if you are buying single items, or a few items that you need, +POS is most likely not the way to go to save money. But, as for a "starter package", and the starting umpire, the highest quality gear can be bought, saving the most money by buying everything through +POS.
I did check for prices elsewhere. Basically, I was looking for top of the line commercial stuff through the other suppliers. The Wilson/West Vest equipment was at the top of my list. By mixing and matching, the prices come out roughly the same, or with the +POS package coming out cheaper. If I wasn't buying EVERYTHING, meaning protective equipment, and apparel, I don't think +POS would be the best way to go. But, since I am getting the whole shabang, it works out best through them I think.

- Harry Caray
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

well, ive picked up 4 orders from +POS at their store, and now that im away from home i had to have my order shipped. they messed it up or something on my first shipped experience. i ordered 1 ball bag (bb178) on monday morning, which should have left tuesday morning with regular shipping and gotten here yesterday or today at the latest. yeah i know there was a "hurricane" but it should have had no effect on shipping since im in pittsburgh.

now i have to do 2 double headers this weekend, 1 NAIA varisty fall league DH tomorrow and 1 NAIA JV DH sunday with 1 ball bag. they start me with 7 balls, which obviously dont fit in 1 bag. i bet they will use the hurricane excuse, since there is no other excuse.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand how a college umpire gets to the point where he must receive a ball bag in the mail before he can do games.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

BTW: 7 balls FIT in a ball bag (4 down, 3 up)
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt.

BTW: 7 balls FIT in a ball bag (4 down, 3 up)
thats what i had to do and it wasnt very comfortable. thats why i ordered the other ball bag. i knew it would work but id rather balance it out.

Quote:
I don't understand how a college umpire gets to the point where he must receive a ball bag in the mail before he can do games.
hmmm, i never said i wouldnt do the game without my new bag. i just stated that i wish it would have come for the weekend games. im not at the point of which you speak of, nor do i ever want to get to the point where i will give up on a game because i dont have certain equipment. im 19 years old (i just realized no one will believe im 19 and doing college but whatever), i have years ahead of me to umpire and im not going to let things in the mail hold me back from doing a game.

the "excuse" i was talking about, was the one +POS would use because their stuff came late, since i have heard they always have excuses when stuff comes late in the mail.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Its unfair to say everyone Has a problem with +POS. I never had any problems. I would wear anything else. Some products are $5.00 cheaper but it crap...I bought some mask pads from Honigs. They were cheaper and lesser quality...they should have been about alot less cheaper then $5.00. The same thing with there pants. They are a couple of dollars cheaper but probally cost alot less to make then the +POS. The service was quick but I no longer want the products after I got the +POS.